Window regulator

Reaction score
I have an 81 diplomat wagon and i was wondering if there is some other car i could get a window regulator from, its manual windows and the gears are stripped. I found lots of fifth avenues around but they are all power windows, dont know if that would work.

20200621_180301.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Power regulator is different than manual. F and M body wagons and 4 door sedans all have the same window regulators, it may be easier to find a manual one in an Aspen or Volare.

MiradaCMX80

Reaction score
Following.....right side (Manual) moon shaped regulator gear is missing teeth at the top....

MoparDan

Reaction score
I have an 81 diplomat wagon and i was wondering if there is some other car i could get a window regulator from, its manual windows and the gears are stripped. I found lots of fifth avenues around but they are all power windows, dont know if that would work.
I knew a guy in CT who replaced a door (or maybe more then one I can't remember) on an AHB, it had manual windows, but the replacement door(s?) were power, so he'd converted them to manual, and he told me if he'd known how much of a headache it was to do, he would've just waited to find manual window doors...I had a Diplomat with power windows at the time and planned on converting them since the motors weren't working well and he told me don't!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have converted these cars from manual windows to power windows and it is not for the faint of heart. I would only recommend it if a person is doing a restoration or major overhaul of the car (it is that big of a job).

With that said, I have converted quite a few manual window doors to power (and vice versa) from accident damage and that is a much easier job (still not easy) than converting the entire car. A person needs to get remove the window regulator – which requires a 1/4” drill bit/drill, a small punch (1/8” - I think) and a 2-3 pound hammer (no wimpy nail hammers). Once door panel is off – remove the door glass (if possible) to prevent damage to glass. Take the punch and punch out the three window regulator rivet pins (which are steel, inside of an aluminum rivet base). The pins should fall to bottom of door, never to be seen or heard of again.

Take the drill with 1/4” drill bit and drill out the rivets (a pretty quick job). Using either two or three hands (you do have three hands??) remove the window regulator from the large hole on lower (inside) door hole.

I recommend removing the window regulator if you need to replace/repair the window motor - than trying trying to replace the window motor with regulator still attached to the door (almost impossible to do inside of the door).

When going back together and if you don't have access to a monster pop-rivet gun (normal size pop-rivet guns can't do 1/4” rivets, even if they fit the gun) then go to hardware store and get some 1/4” bolts (1/2”, 5/8” or 3/4” long will work) and nuts and use them to reattach the regulator. If you do have access to a monster pop-rivet gun (with 18” arms or hopefully 24” arms) then go for it. Even a gun with 24” arms it still takes a lot to get those suckers to “pop”. Pop rivets can make the job faster, but if you don't have access to one, there's nothing wrong with nuts/bolts.

In theory, all 4-door F & M body ('76-89) window regulators should all interchange – with the exception the parts for each of the four doors are different from each other. Now that I said that, I might be proved wrong.

The '70's cars will have a higher frequency of having manual windows, as well as (all year) police cars.
BudW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I think you're right that each door is different so you need it from the same door. I think you're stuck with M or F bodies only.
For the window motors they're not too hard to change in the car. Once you figure it out for the first time they can be swapped out quicker then it takes to maneuver the regulator out of the door.

Back