Windshield trim

Camtron

Reaction score
can anyone provide instruction on removing the front windshield trim? Apparently you can’t have a windshield resealed anymore, have to replace the entire windshield now and, I’m not interested in that. So going to have my buddy help me lift the glass out (I have the suction cups to do so) and will clean everything up and reseal it. I just don’t want to bend and damage the trim trying to remove it negligently.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You need a molding clip release tool. It slides under the trim and then hooks the back of the clips, you then pull down SLIGHTLY and the clip releases from the trim. It's hard to explain the technique but after you figure the first clip out, it becomes obvious.

Top one on this page:

Search Results for window molding tool
oes-25338_m.jpg

Camtron

Reaction score
Sweet. Tool’s ordered, found a set of clips for when the old ones disintegrate when I take the trim off.
Pulled the car into the back of the shop on my lunch and taped off the seam around the window trim on my lunch break. Used a Bondo spreader to push sealant into the top and side seams between the trim and roof and A-pillars.
Driving to work, I had water running down the inside of the windshield driving to work and a small puddle on my passenger floor mat (all weather mats luckily) when I went outside on my first break.
Not a drop to be seen on the way home. Hopefully it lasts till the weekend when I have time to actually pull the windshield and let the car sit.
It’s kind B/S they won’t let you reuse your factory glass (at least, at all the few big name places and couple small shops I called in, Illinois). They said it’s for insurance, warranty and over all seal quality but, I can’t help but feel it’s just to drive up the cost. What if you have a legit classic with original glass that’s concave, bubbled, rounded, ect...what then? Do you still have to up your ticket to expensive custom ordered glass? I guess it all comes down to who/what you know and what you can do. I’m not spending $250 on glass I don’t need though, I can tell you that right now, lol.

EF EN B/S.

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
I just use a pair of flat blade screwdrivers carefully. One to lift, the other to find the next clip and pry under it. Start at the bottoms of your side pieces and work up. If two piece top trim, you only need to pop the first two and pull it out of the others. Careful along the bottom. But it usually pops free across 75% of the face as soon as you get the couple outside of the positioning blocks. The clips in the whole center section are usually rotted away already. A 3M caulk rope, windshield seal, should still only be $12 on Walmart .com but if you buy locally, check the date. You don't want a newer dry old one to replace your original dried out old one. In this weather it's advisable to have the shop warm and best to even use the heat gun around the perimeter to have that stuff good and hot before you lay the glass on. Don't want to tell you how to cut it out, and that's the real reason they won't do old glass. Because it's old and brittle. But I just stab the knife thru at the base of an A pillar then shove a length of MIG wire thru. Vise grips on each end and saw my way to the block across the bottom, then back and up the sides and across the top and back down. Sometimes, depending on how the windshield is actually positioned in the opening it's advisable to start again at the bottom rather than attempting to round that wire thru the top corner coming down. I don't bother cutting the base between the blocks. Just push it out from inside and cut it away with my knife as it comes free. But that's just me. Been doing my own cars for 35 years and I've only ever broken two.

Camtron

Reaction score
Man, I appreciate the instruction. I have the suction cups for lifting big panels of sheet metal at work but have never tackled an actual window lol.
I’ll make sure to fire up the ol propane heater to get the garage nice and warm and to take my time. To my experience, it’s always when I rush or force things that something goes wrong; go figure, lol.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Most glass companies will shy away from removing and reinstalling a windshield. The main reason (even if they don't say it) is, it's very difficult to get the urethane cut and the glass out,,,,,,,,,,,,without it cracking, as Trap also said. One wrong move with the urethane cutter accidentally against the edge of the glass and, craaaaaaaack. Be VERY careful!:eek: Make sure the urethane is cut all the way around, not just on 3 sides and try to tip the glass out. Chances are, it will break that way.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve helped remove maybe 50 windshields in my life – but nothing recent (or in last few decades).
As well, I need to remove the windshield from my truck and dread doing it solo. Its already broken so no worries there.

In my opinion – which you can toss how ever far you want. Unless it is a "hard to find" glass, I’m not sure you wouldn’t be happier with a new windshield. Even if the old one doesn’t look that bad, you will still have a night and day difference looking through it after new one is installed. New windshields are not that expensive and I would encourage you to look at a new price before doing through all of the motions.
BudW

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
In my opinion – which you can toss how ever far you want. Unless it is a "hard to find" glass, I’m not sure you wouldn’t be happier with a new windshield. Even if the old one doesn’t look that bad, you will still have a night and day difference looking through it after new one is installed. New windshields are not that expensive and I would encourage you to look at a new price before doing through all of the motions.
BudW

100% agree on how much nicer a new windshield is! You are So Right! Even after I sand and polish one, it's not "New" looking thru it. Even if the glass is smooth again, it's got 40 years UV degraded 1970's plastic between the pieces. But most of us are also on a budget and while new glass is like $250, that's $ we could use elsewhere too.

But to my knowledge, while the M's production lasting almost another decade beyond F's and F people being able to still get shared parts because of them, the sedan and wagon glass is out of production.

And there's another good argument beyond being on a budget or cheap, for used glass too. 1979 was Special. If you have a car that benefits from having a Gold Tint windshield, Oh man oh man! I was SO HAPPY to get a 79 with a pretty decent Gold windshield to put in my wife's '77 Candy Corn! I would bet that 99% of people don't actually notice it, but everybody somehow notices her car partly because of those little details they can't quite put their finger on. I know it's just a ratty old 80's repaint car. Everybody that see's it up close knows that too. We don't try to hide any of it's scars. But she's so proud of it, and it's gotten trophies somehow that stroke her ego too. And there's one thing I know for sure. If you have a middle aged woman who's Happy, you just shut up and go with that... ;)

Camtron

Reaction score
Man, some people on here have bad reading comprehension or don’t bother to read at all. Could have swore I wrote about calling places, cost of replacing the glass and how I don’t want to replace my nice, clear original windshield for no reason...thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
No sweat, Bud. I’m lysdexic myself and have little to no room to critique, lol.

Cheers good, Sir and happy Friday, guys.

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Man, some people on here have bad reading comprehension or don’t bother to read at all. Could have swore I wrote about calling places, cost of replacing the glass and how I don’t want to replace my nice, clear original windshield for no reason...thanks for your input.

When friends get to talking, it always goes sideways tangents once the original topic seems to be sastifried.
I've always been good with it as long as the OP seemed to have gotten that staticfaction prior. For one thing, keeping a topic at the top through continued semi related discussion sometimes leads to another person coming along with more information or technique the rest were unaware of previously.

My apologies if you'd prefer the discussion had already ended. I'm out.

volare 77

Reaction score
Once you get the hang of popping them clips they come off pretty easy. BTW, I just don`t like the look of the new windshields. The tint is ugly IMO. And yes, finding a good new or used clear windshield is almost impossible to find. I bought a NOS one a few years ago and it got broke during shipping.

Back