winter almost gone..........time to work on R/T

9secRR

Reaction score
even though we still got a bucket load of snow on the ground, the time has come to get my R/T ready for this upcoming season.

things that need attention,

rear main seal has small leak
speedo gear has a small leak
check rear brake pads

things I need to purchase,

trans blanket
5 point harness
tach
slicks???

I want to work on my 60' this year. 1.55 is not good enough for me. I need to tune my suspension. there is a lot of tuning with the caltracs and 9 way shocks.

once I get my R/T running the way I think it can, it's NOS time! I think a 9 second pass is quit doable. time will tell.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Up here today was the first sign that this hell of a winter is on it's way out.
Now we can actually get some work done.
Keep us posted on the progress!!

My imp

Reaction score
We've had far too many 1st signs: 1) flowers popping up through the ground, only to have the buds singed to a crisp with freezer burn! 2) two Blue Jays dukin it out in the back yard over something. 3) forecast of multiple days over 50F, with (wishful thinking) days (plural) over 60F.

9secRR

Reaction score
How many of you guys pull your motor and trans together? I always separate the trans from motor when I take them out.

Is it easier to pull both a once?

R/T Mirada

Reaction score
I usually pull both at the same time. On my Mirada I tried to do a trans swap with out pulling the engine, but it was a real pain and while under there I noticed several freeze plugs were leaking and the whole mess had 30years of grime built up on everything, so I just pulled the whole mess out. I ended up changing all freeze plugs, oil pan / valve cover gaskets and front and rear seals, oil pump and timing set. End result lot of frustration, more money spent than I planned, engine still tired but crud free and looking good, reduced the leaks by 95%. Enjoyment from driving it everyday? Priceless.

Man,....I need to go see a doctor. I got a Mirada Monkey on my back and I can't shake it

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
I separate the two.
I used a 7/8 hole saw to drill access holes in the firewall, to gain quick and easy access to the bell housing bolts. I use a 9/16 socket along with an extension for a stress free trans removal. I'm running a Roots blower so trans bolt access was difficult from the engine bay. I used metal electrical knock out seals that fit the 7/8" hole. This way I meet NHRA tech rules, or so I think I did, as I've done this mod 20+ years ago.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
My k member wouldn't come out without unbolting the brackets that the uca's attatch to. not to mention the steering column, then an alignment and .......I prefer to do them separate.

JSALeBaron

Reaction score
My first race is still over a month away :icon_evil: I haven't even pulled the car out of storage yet. C'mon Topeka, get here soon!!!

9secRR

Reaction score
winter is still here. sucks but what can I do!!!! started to take things apart tonight. tomorrow bring the hoist into the garage and lift the motor out.

trans blanket is on order, should be here next week.

NoCar340

Reaction score
The way the weather's been, I hope you paid extra for the trans blanket with Thinsulate™. :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

9secRR

Reaction score
motor is out and on the stand. it took me 3 hours and I can tell I haven't wrenched in a while.

wicked weather, 3 inches of snow and it's a blizzard out there!

the first 3 street legals got cancelled. so now it's hopefully the end of May for the first race.

9secRR

Reaction score
4" of snow so far and no sign of letting off. Wet heavy snow, can't shovel this crap.

On the brighter side, oil pan gaskets are replaced. Drop motor in tomorrow.

9secRR

Reaction score
I have to fix the speedo cable leak tomorrow before motor goes back in. Should be a simple fix. Drill out the stripped threads and tap new threads.

9secRR

Reaction score
trans blanket came Tuesday. this was the last piece I needed to finish putting trans back in.

once that was taken care of, it was time to put oil back in motor and fire it up.

one thing I can say is, race fuel is 1 of the best things to smell in spring!!!!

9secRR

Reaction score
all ready for the season opener. got everything on my bucket list done. in a few weeks, the first test and tune should be open. I like going to these races in spring to get my car warmed up after the winter hibernation!

Back