wiper tranny connection

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Does it look like a C clip goes on here ? Wipers went clunk and stopped working .. this arm was sitting on the bottom I put it on the arm pin .. only place for it .. there were pieces of orange plastic at the bottom .. the dreaded cam?? I'm thinking some sort of clip holds this on .. any ideas? My haynes is useless for this. or does the cam sit on the pin and the arm on the cam ... the pieces I've found isn't enough if the cam exploded?
Thanks .. this forum is a wealth of information.
upload_2015-11-22_9-59-5.jpeg

I got to look further for the cam
upload_2015-11-22_10-0-43.jpeg
upload_2015-11-22_9-59-5.jpeg
upload_2015-11-22_10-0-43.jpeg

Aspen500

Reaction score
If you have delay wipers, there should be an eccentric type of thing on the motor crank arm, and then the metal link attaches to it. I assume that's what the chunks of plastic are.

Side note: Those Hayne's manuals are about useless for anything but the basics. I'd highly recommend getting an actual service manual. I've got a '79 manual on CD-ROM from Detroit Iron. It's an older version and I guess the newer ones are better being PDH file instead of Paperport (like the one I have).
An example: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=417960&cc=1069736&jnid=453&jpid=4
You can get them from various distributors, not just Rock Auto. I think it said the price was about $24 so it's well worth the money.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Thanks ... nope just a 2 speed wiper .. no delay ...... Can't find it at rock auto .. Amazon has this .. same price Amazon product ASIN B00HSKN3GSSame right? already in my cart, just confirming.
oops no linky
1980 CHRYSLER REPAIR SHOP & SERVICE MANUAL & BODY MANUAL CD INCLUDES Rear Wheel Drive cars Including Chrysler Newport, LeBaron (Special, Salon, Medallion, Town & Country), New Yorker, Cordoba (LS). 80 Multimedia CD –

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Sounds like the plastic cam. Usually the center gives out which would explain the lack of debris.
I'll have to look for the rest of it .. I was close to home when it happened and the heavy snow falling prolly caused it to finally give. ... the rest of that cam is nowhere to be seen ?? bit the pink orange debris tells me a cam was in it.

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
If you have delay wipers, there should be an eccentric type of thing on the motor crank arm, and then the metal link attaches to it. I assume that's what the chunks of plastic are.

Side note: Those Hayne's manuals are about useless for anything but the basics. I'd highly recommend getting an actual service manual. I've got a '79 manual on CD-ROM from Detroit Iron. It's an older version and I guess the newer ones are better being PDH file instead of Paperport (like the one I have).
An example: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=417960&cc=1069736&jnid=453&jpid=4
You can get them from various distributors, not just Rock Auto. I think it said the price was about $24 so it's well worth the money.
Thanks for the info.Just ordered my parts & shop manuals from Rock. Already have manuals from Haynes,Clymer,and they are both lacking in detail.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Ok then .. I have a service manual and the $75 ebay cam part on the way .. till then I'll keep a swiffer mop in the car to keep my
windows clear. or this? ... naw .. looks too complicated .. lol
th?&id=OIP.M4d76ebf60a0eba34be025ee73892a503o0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.jpg

Ya know .. before the Volare I truly had nothing to do .. now I'm buried ....lol

compubert

Reaction score
and you get several in the box... the others are harder to get on too...and they will be following the first ones fail...

compubert

Reaction score
and you get several in the box... the others are harder to get on too...and they will be following the first ones fail...
Oh, and if you are in coldsville *Canada somewhere* a hair dryer would help...

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Whaaaaaaa !!!! oh my ..... that makes my day!!! .. so that arm goes round in a circle and takes the wipers back n forth? I was gonna try that but didn't want to enlarge the hole.
said two speed non delay wiper like mine. just a cap thingie that holds it on the pin.. 2dollars 50 cent...parts..

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Thanks compubert and Dr. ... I'll admit I did look at these but thought they were bushings to connect the other ends of the tranny arms .. to the actual wiper pivot .. not the motor arm .. thought the motor arm used the cam ... sometimes ya just over think this stuff! .. that little doodad (technical term) at the top must be the lock .. there is a slot in the arm .. must fit ... it might be south Canada here but I will still need the heat gun .. just hope I don't melt it.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Well thank you everybody .. I have my wipers back and for only $5 with a spare ... compubert thanks for catching that and posting .. and yes a heat gun made it much easier to put on by hand. I cancelled my e-bay order and hope I`m not commited.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Got a full refund on the cam purchase .. greased the arm pivots and the wipers move a little quicker and with some rain x or polish on the windshield and I'll be ready for winter ... thanks all.

Back