WTB: Looking for some 5 on 5 wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
They also don't seem to have the step near the top like the ones that I have do. i must have snowflake centers, then.

I find it really odd though, that the snowflake caps fit onto the 5 on 5s. Everything seems to match; diameter, the ridge that the spring prongs snap onto, everything. They even seem to need the same effort to get on and off.

Can anybody provide a part number for the correct 5 on 5 caps?

And as another question, maybe more philosophical thatn anything else: Why do 5 on 5s always seem to be missing their center caps? Why are (relatively speaking) snowflake caps so easy to find, and 5 on 5 caps so scarce?

And to get back to t he original question: The vintageautoworks.com caps won't work at all. The snowflake caps fit properly and securely, but are not correct. Pictures of the correct 5 on 5 caps have been posted by Cordoba 1.

Last edited:

Cordoba1

Reaction score
And as another question, maybe more philosophical thatn anything else: Why do 5 on 5s always seem to be missing their center caps? Why are (relatively speaking) snowflake caps so easy to find, and 5 on 5 caps so scarce?
[\QUOTE]

I've noticed they're missing on 5 on 5s and 10-spokes quite frequently, as well; but on the snowflake wheels, they are inset in the pattern slightly. I suspect this makes them harder to accidentally knock them off. The springs get weak over time. I had car-wash-brushes whack them off a couple of times. (I don't take the current 'Doba through automatic car washes!)

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I have a number of these snowflake centers, and have noted that there is a variation in both spring tension, and in the amount of rust that the rust on the spring prongs. Wonder if coating them on the inside )where the spring progs fit against the inside of the center hole) wth JB Weld (or similar) would be a permanent solution? I don't know what the heat from the brakes would do to the JB Weld over time. Om all honesty, after the wheen is polished out, there really is no advantage to removing the centers.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
I have a number of these snowflake centers, and have noted that there is a variation in both spring tension, and in the amount of rust that the rust on the spring prongs. Wonder if coating them on the inside )where the spring progs fit against the inside of the center hole) wth JB Weld (or similar) would be a permanent solution? I don't know what the heat from the brakes would do to the JB Weld over time. Om all honesty, after the wheen is polished out, there really is no advantage to removing the centers.

I thought of the same thing.... except when my tire guy told me he has to take them off to mount the wheels to the spin-balancer!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Maybe some sort of small diameter flat/pan headed screw to hold them on.

Did some poking around on eBay. Not one of the correct 5 on 5 centers to be found.

If we could get a part number, maybe run that by some of the vendors that handle parts for our cars (F Body Deconstructor, Marty Mopar. etc.). Doesn't look like they are easy to find.

Last edited:

DCAspen

Reaction score
1980 parts book,5 on 5 cap-#4240507 Decal#4126519 Hope this helps

moreada

Reaction score
Everytime I find nice rims for sale... there are no center caps. I am scared to buy wheels without them now.

The CMX and 5 on 5 use different center caps though, yes?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Yes. The 10 spokes and the 5 on 5s have different centers. And the 5 on 5s and the snowflakes have different centers, although the Snowflake centers do fit on the 5 on 5s and stay on. The CMX/10 spoke centers are completely different, and are held on by bolts; the snowflake and the 5 on 5s are held on with springy prongs (see previous picture).

I am making the assumption that the CMX you are referring to are the 10 spokes. I am calling these wheels (posting #9) by aspen 77rt:

http://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/classicmopar/showthread.php?4075-5-on-5-wheel-experiment

10 spokes. I think they were the standard CMX wheels.

Last edited:

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Of note, the 10-Spokes use two pieces for the center cap -- a dome, and then a cap. The domes are easy to find NOS as they fit many wheels over the years, the caps are much harder to find, although not impossible. The center caps for the 5 on 5s are much harder to come by. (And technically speaking, there is a decal for both of these setups that goes inside the cap.)

kkritsilas

Reaction score
All that is 100% right. One of the 10 spokes on my blue Mirada came with no dome; it was in the glove box. I also have a couple of extra decals (and spring prongs) also for the 10 spoke domes, and they are too small for the snowflake centers. I know the snowflake are supposed to have clear or red (normally for Imperials with the "IMPERIAL" logo on them) plastic "jewels" in the center caps.

Last edited:

moreada

Reaction score
I am still wanting 5 on 5's but recently picked up a set of well worn 10 spokes I will try to rehabilitate. No caps... dunno what options other than finding stock ones there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back