¿ High Output Alternator for /6 ?

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Hey guys: My Cordoba is sort of a rolling hobby for me -- I've upgraded the stereo, it has a sub mounted under the seat, I have a CB radio and HAM radio installed. None of these items are big current drawers, but they add up. While idling, lights on, A/C running, and my gadgets on, the discharge LED in the cluster glows. My voltage drops to a dangerously low 10 volts. Revving the engine and/or shutting off the headlights brings the voltage back up. My regulator is fine, and the alternator is fine -- I'm just drawing enough current to overtax the alternator at idle.

Question: Can I simply swap in a high-current alternator for a V-8 application? When I look at pictures of that particular alternator, with the external fan out front, it looks like the pulley isn't in the same plane, but I can't tell for sure.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

c14.jpg

c16.jpg

Cordoba1

Reaction score
I believe I found a solution. The folks at Summit have a ton of options, included up-rated units built from the same bodies. Heck, they have Powermasters rated for over 200A... I'm going to try a Tuff Stuff 100A unit. My stocker is rated at 60A, and based on the reviews, I believe this will fix my issue. When I was tracking down a non-charge issue last year, I replaced the original alt with a $25 ebay jobby that I suspect is not putting out anywhere near the rated current. Here's the unit I'm going to try: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFF-8509DDP

Justwondering

Reaction score
love the beach pictures...

One of the reasons I was looking to swap out lighting to LEDs was to reduce the electrical demand.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
Nice Cordoba...and the background isnt bad either!
Another thing to think about is installing a relay for your headlights. Mopars have terrible line losses and with the full load running through the bulkhead and dash/column switch it can shorten their lives.

Heard good things about these kits:

Plug and Play headlight relay kits

I've seen the before and after...its impressive.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
All better now. The Tuff Stuff 1-wire 100 Amp replacement is working great. The discharge lamp is no longer on while idling with my accessories and lights on. AND, I have 14.1 volts, even while idling with heavy loads going. It appears to have been worth the coin.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Would the big case 100A chrysler factory alternator not have worked? There seem to be a lot of them around, but I have only seen them on the V8s. I don't know what the brackets/pulley set up is on a /6.

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
That IS a huge alternator. I understand that it is an older design, but it is big, and it weighs a lot. On the other hand, I guess they didn't spare the copper or magnets on those things. The ones that I have are all double belt pulleys; probably needed to keep the thing spinning.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Would the big case 100A chrysler factory alternator not have worked? There seem to be a lot of them around, but I have only seen them on the V8s. I don't know what the brackets/pulley set up is on a /6.

Nope, it won't work without fabricating brackets. The cooling fan is on the outside of the body of the alternator. On the 100A units, the mounting bracket goes behind a mounting tab... On the smaller capacity units, the bracket mounts to the front of the body.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Back