WANTED 11" brake backing plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Contact seller
I'm working on a 62 Willys Pickup and want to upgrade the brakes from the old non-adjusting drums to self-adjusting drums.

I'm told I need 11" brake backing plates, that these are crazy hard to find, and if I do find them I'd have to buy a kit to convert them to self-adjusting.

I know that when I change the brakes, I'll have to get new rims.
I'm trying to make it safe for a 17 year old and a 70 year old to drive.

I'm clueless here.
Just removed my very first hub yesterday.

They are great folks on the other forum, but when I start getting too far into the weeds they tell me to take it to a professional to work on it. Am I too far in the weeds?

JW

Justwondering

Reaction score
LOL...
Thanks for the compliment.
Its comforting to know that even if I'm in the weeds, you lend a helping hand..:)

JW

Justwondering

Reaction score
well ... a willys pickup in1962 had a bolt pattern doesn't line up with the mopar bolt pattern.
Looks like I need a 70's ford or a wheel adapter.

this is gonna get expensive.
maybe I should consider changing out the axle . I'm sure thats another problem altogether ..
LOL

JW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Later model Jeep parts will work but if the stock breaks are rebuilt they will work fine. I had a Jeep pickup with a 440 in it that I would take to the dragstrip, the stock breaks worked stopping from 100 + mph. Agustment and condition make the difference here. If you could get breaks from a 70s Jeep that would be an improvement with the self energizing setup but I don't think it is necessary. Power assist would be an improvement.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Thank you all for the info, advice, and recommendations.

I've decided to go back with stock brakes.

Now I get to learn how to rehab and repaint the hubs, drums, etc so it will be something other than rust red.

JW

Justwondering

Reaction score
So far I got the drum off and the brake line disconnected to the left rear backing plate AND I have the left rear backing plate off.

Going to watch 'The Orville' and celebrate!

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Watch out for that time vortex. You may end up meeting yourself from 9 years ago, lol.
Non self adjusting brakes aren't a bad thing. In reality, they don't need adjusted that often (depending on miles driven and how often you stop of course). My dad's '62 Fury doesn't have self adjusting brakes (well, it does in the rear now after a later model axle swap a few years ago) but I only remember him doing a brake adjustment maybe twice a year, and that was when it was used as a daily driver until the early '80's.

89.Fifth

Reaction score
Watch out for that time vortex. You may end up meeting yourself from 9 years ago, lol.
Non self adjusting brakes aren't a bad thing. In reality, they don't need adjusted that often (depending on miles driven and how often you stop of course). My dad's '62 Fury doesn't have self adjusting brakes (well, it does in the rear now after a later model axle swap a few years ago) but I only remember him doing a brake adjustment maybe twice a year, and that was when it was used as a daily driver until the early '80's.

That kit you linked, it fits our 8-1/4s too?

Aspen500

Reaction score
It was 7T8 Custom that had the link for complete, new 11" brakes.

I can't say for 100% sure but, I would think those brakes would bolt onto the 8 1/4" axle along with 8 3/4" and probably Dana 60 also, along with 7 1/4". The '79 parts catalog lists only 2 backing plates, one for 10" and one for 11", it makes no mention of axle size (7 1/4 or 8 1/4) so it follows that 8 3/4" used the same ones.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I can’t speak for Willys or the “pre-Chrysler” Jeep brakes (no experience), but the rear brake backing plate bolt pattern is the same for all Chrysler cars made for ’60 to ’89. Also, to present for 5 or 6 lug pickups.

On 8-lug pickups/vans, if the rear axle shafts can only be removed via removing the C-clip inside of inspection cover, then the backing plates will work as well (even the 12” drum brakes - but good luck finding a 5-lug brake drum to fit).

The rear brake backing plates that use the external axle shafts (some Dana 60’s, and all Dana 70/80’s)) then backing plate will be different. I refer to this design (full floating axles) to be an external axle shaft (the brake drum or inspection cover do not need to be removed before axle removal).
Dana 70 Axle Shaft.jpg

Example of a full-floating axle, that I refer to as "external axle".
5015341aa.jpg

This backing plate is for a Dana 70/80 and Dana 60 with external axles. Notice how the 4 bolt holes are symmetrical. This will not work on FMJ's.

Some of the newer jeeps/pickups, have moved from a 5-bolt pattern to attach the backing plate to the differential to a 4-bolt system. They will still work if you drill out the fifth hole.
5017761AA.jpg

The red circle is where the 5th hole needs to be drilled. This is from a newer Jeep.

This is the bolt pattern used for all Chrysler cars from '60-89 (and longer for pickups, vans and Jeeps).
Axle Gasket.jpg

To recap, all Chrysler cars, made from ’60 to ’89 (and many newer pickups, vans and jeeps), rear brake backing plates will interchange on all cars, even if on a 7¼”, 8¼”, 8¾”, 9¼” and 9¾” (car Dana 60). That includes 9” (older A-body’s), 10” and 11” drums (or in case of some pickups 12” drums). The only issue is some of the post 2000 vehicles, which might need to have a 5th mounting hole added.

Somewhat unrelated, the Jeep Liberty rear disk brake setup seams to be a popular upgrade for 8¾” differentials. It would take less work to get that system to work on FMJ’s, but it is not a direct bolt in. The parking brake system is the big area needing modification to fit. I plan on doing this upgrade and will post more about it after done.
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The jeep should have a Dana 44 with a 5 on 5.5 inch bolt pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back