1977 LeBaron

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
Hi I just got my hands on a nice 1977 LeBaron 4 door base model. So far so good minus the issues I discussed in my other thread. One other thing I noticed is the heater and all the fans and button work fine but there might be an anti freeze odor in the cabin I am not quite sure, is the heater core in the dash ? I took the LEbaron out for a 40 mile shakedown cruise and all appears well .It has been over 30 years since I owned a 1976 Volare with a 318 , Where is the tranny dipstick on my 318 LeBaron ? I really love this car and I hope fellow 77 -81 LeBaron owners have a specific meeting area in F-M-J- Only forums.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I just posted a picture of the transmission dipstick from my ’77 wagon, not long ago - but it is in the passenger side rear corner of engine compartment, not far from firewall.

Does your car have factory A/C or no A/C?

If you can smell the coolant/antifreeze and if you see some light frosting of windshield (from defroster vents) when engine is hot and running – then you do have a leaking heater core.

RockAuto.com does show a heater core available IF car does not have A/C – BUT even if they did have, I have had bad luck with getting an aftermarket heater core to fit correctly.
I would recommend removing yours and send to a radiator shop to get your old one fixed. That way you know if will fit and work after re-installed.

Procedures to replace differ if car has A/C or not.
Your best friend would be to purchase a FSM (factory service manual). If not, then let us know which version you have and we can post directions here.

Other than working with A/C refrigerant, it can be done by self without too much problems.
BuW

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
I just posted a picture of the transmission dipstick from my ’77 wagon, not long ago - but it is in the passenger side rear corner of engine compartment, not far from firewall.

Does your car have factory A/C or no A/C?

If you can smell the coolant/antifreeze and if you see some light frosting of windshield (from defroster vents) when engine is hot and running – then you do have a leaking heater core.

RockAuto.com does show a heater core available IF car does not have A/C – BUT even if they did have, I have had bad luck with getting an aftermarket heater core to fit correctly.
I would recommend removing yours and send to a radiator shop to get your old one fixed. That way you know if will fit and work after re-installed.

Procedures to replace differ if car has A/C or not.
Your best friend would be to purchase a FSM (factory service manual). If not, then let us know which version you have and we can post directions here.

Other than working with A/C refrigerant, it can be done by self without too much problems.
BuW
Bud the Tranny dipstick is where you stated it would be . The anti freeze smell only appears when the heater is on . Now when the A/C is on full cool and I move the temperature control to the right towards warmer just as I near the center position a visible gas cloud comes out of the vents . Well I changed the oil and filter . While underneath the vehicle it appears the transmission leak is coming from as best I could see the top of the transmission where engine and tranny unite, no leaks in the gaskets where I could view, The oil leaks all appear to be from the oil pan seals. Any idea what is causing the tranny leaks. Oh and it is appears to be the 904 Transmission based on the pan shape. The heater core replacement might be beyond my skill level .

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
It will be in the 904/998/999 transmission family, non-lockup – unless it was special ordered with a 727 (which is unlikely). You will be happier with what you currently have, than with a 727, due to internal gearing.

I need pictures.

Unless you have a cracked case (which is unlikely), then there is nothing on top side of transmission to leak.

Inside the bell housing, there is the front pump seal, front pump bolts, front pump to case seal/gasket and breather that can leak (will require transmission dust shield to see if a leak in area, transmission removal to determine exact leak).

Outside of transmission, you have the output shaft seal, tail housing gasket, oil pan gasket, transmission cooler lines/fittings, front band adjuster bolt/nut, dipstick tube seal and various ¼” pipe plugs used for testing pressures - that can leak.

It sounds like someone added fluid to it and didn’t use a funnel (sloppy fill).

I’d try to give it a good bath spraying the firewall area well (avoid the distributor, if at all possible), and try to get the underside of car at the transmission area (which is hard to do) well on both sides.
Drive car a week then jack car back up and look again (be sure to use jack stands!).

Take pictures and report back, please.

LSM360

Reaction score
I too have not found ANY brand of aftermarket heater core that actually fits the HVAC box where it's suppose to fit, despite the fact it list it for our cars. Annoying after you've taken everything apart! I would do what BudW wrote, or see if you can find a NOS Mopar one.

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
I too have not found ANY brand of aftermarket heater core that actually fits the HVAC box where it's suppose to fit, despite the fact it list it for our cars. Annoying after you've taken everything apart! I would do what BudW wrote, or see if you can find a NOS Mopar one.
LSM360 I have not taken anything apart yet ! I am road testing and evaluating the LeBarons condition. It so far appears to be just old seal and gasket leaks , along with the heater core potential leak. I have put on about 500 miles so far . I gas up again tomorrow and my first mpg for a tankful was 13.75 MPG . I just changed toe oil& Filter, will change the spark plugs , the air filter is good, where is the PCV if any on my 1977 LeBaron ? , I thought the MPGs would be higher than my first tankful readings. I am still adding carburetor/injector cleaner per tank and have a can of direct carb cleaner at hand. Will keep you updated

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
It will be in the 904/998/999 transmission family, non-lockup – unless it was special ordered with a 727 (which is unlikely). You will be happier with what you currently have, than with a 727, due to internal gearing.

I need pictures.

Unless you have a cracked case (which is unlikely), then there is nothing on top side of transmission to leak.

Inside the bell housing, there is the front pump seal, front pump bolts, front pump to case seal/gasket and breather that can leak (will require transmission dust shield to see if a leak in area, transmission removal to determine exact leak).

Outside of transmission, you have the output shaft seal, tail housing gasket, oil pan gasket, transmission cooler lines/fittings, front band adjuster bolt/nut, dipstick tube seal and various ¼” pipe plugs used for testing pressures - that can leak.

It sounds like someone added fluid to it and didn’t use a funnel (sloppy fill).

I’d try to give it a good bath spraying the firewall area well (avoid the distributor, if at all possible), and try to get the underside of car at the transmission area (which is hard to do) well on both sides.
Drive car a week then jack car back up and look again (be sure to use jack stands!).

Take pictures and report back, please.
Bud it is the 904 I probably am going to take it to the local transmission shop for an evaluation and estimate . The leak is not bad but annoying like all leaks are . The picture thing is to tech for me just now. If I get to the tranny shop I will try to get pics while it is up on the rack. I did notice the tranny pan seal needs to be replaced, and there is a leak from where the drive shaft connects to the tranny , along with the previously mentioned ones. I probably will have the block and tranny pulled and reconditioned if needed. Great running car though I love it !

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a cell phone, (if wanted, that is) you could text or email me the pictures, and I could post for you.
To be honest, it took me a couple of years to get posting pictures, to work correctly.
BudW

Back