1978 - 1979 differences?

Locomotion

Reaction score
F-body newbie questions -

1) Are there any exterior differences between the 1978 and 1979 Dodge Aspens, particularly the wagons?
I know they changed grilles and taillights a few times throughout the years. But I'm still learning when changes were made.

2) Do F-bodies require their own particular 4 bbl throttle cables or will some E/B body cable work? Square firewall hole?

slant6billy

Reaction score
Autozone had the 4bbl throttle cable for under 25 bucks. I just got one last month, but can't find the receipt. The 78 and 79 Aspen Wagons are identical from Grille to tail lights. As for the colors available, there may be some varied options. The 78 coupe and sedan is the only year with a yellow/ amber turn signal on the rear tail lights. The housing is the same. Note there is obviously an extra set of bulbs for the turn signals in 78 coupes/ 4 doors.

Locomotion

Reaction score
Cool. Thank you! I ask because of the possible advantages of claiming the wagon I have as a '78 over a '79 in NHRA Stock. :book1: So far I see that they have basically the same engines, BUT they allow both, the small TQ as well as the large TQ in '78! Small TQ only in '79. Don't ask me why. There are a lot of little quirks in the rules. Another interesting fact is that they factor just about all of the 360's in Aspens & Volares at the same 289 HP. It doesn't matter if the engine has a big or small TQ or if it has a big or small cam. It is what it is due to their HP factoring system and how many racers ran fast enough over the years to get those combos factored up in HP.

Maybe it's a good "sign". I've been running my Dart Sport as a '75 for many years with good luck. I graduated in '75. Maybe running the Aspen wagon as a '78 will bring me good luck as well. I started drag racing in '78! :toothy9:

Locomotion

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try to post some pics as I get further along. I at least want to get my wheels on and the "stance" right. Lots of little changes and making sure everything is "just right" are taking much longer than expected. Previous owner is helping out. If it's 2-3 tenths under the NHRA I/SA index of 12.30 to start, I'll be happy.

dch-65

Reaction score
Cool. Thank you! I ask because of the possible advantages of claiming the wagon I have as a '78 over a '79 in NHRA Stock. :book1: So far I see that they have basically the same engines, BUT they allow both, the small TQ as well as the large TQ in '78! Small TQ only in '79. Don't ask me why. There are a lot of little quirks in the rules. Another interesting fact is that they factor just about all of the 360's in Aspens & Volares at the same 289 HP. It doesn't matter if the engine has a big or small TQ or if it has a big or small cam. It is what it is due to their HP factoring system and how many racers ran fast enough over the years to get those combos factored up in HP.

Maybe it's a good "sign". I've been running my Dart Sport as a '75 for many years with good luck. I graduated in '75. Maybe running the Aspen wagon as a '78 will bring me good luck as well. I started drag racing in '78! :toothy9:

Myron
I am in the process of building a 360CI 160HP 77dodge aspen SE pure stock car to run IHRA(F/PS index 13.75). They are factored at 274HP in IHRA that's the same motor that NHRA factors at 289. Also and I can't figure this one out. The 360 in a 76 model is factored at 284HP in NHRA. if I run NHRA I would claim my 2 door as a 76 model and save some weight. No changes to the motor at all.

Locomotion

Reaction score
Aspen pics 4-12-2015 003.jpg
Aspen pics 4-12-2015 001.jpg
Aspen pics 4-12-2015 004.jpg
Aspen pics 4-12-2015 005.jpg
Aspen pics 4-12-2015 007.jpg
I was just checking out the website.
Great car and nice E.T.'s!
Can't wait to see pics of the wagon!

Getting close with the car so here are some pics. It will be a 1978 Aspen wagon with a 360 for either I/SA or J/SA in NHRA Stock. Those aren't very popular classes so I shouldn't have to worry as much about a heads-up run with someone who has a lot more resources than I do.

MRL Performance did the engine which made about 420+ HP and should help it runaround 12.00 on a 12.30 index (minimum performance standard for I/SA - can't dial in slower.). Lots of rules limiting what you can use or do. Weight will be 3,638+. Legal "trick" stuff was limited to ring package, cam, lifters and valve job. Everything else was just attention to detail. (No porting, polishing or compression increase, max cam lift is .462" in./.473" ex. with 1.5 rockers, TQ carb & OEM intake.)

I'll be content with low 12's. But the deeper into the 11's I can eventually get it, the happier I'll be. Hopefully the chassis and drivetrain set up will help. But that's nothing fancy either. It's my first NHRA effort because Thermoquads always scared me. A lot to learn but luckily I know someone who knows how to tune them. The 4.86 gears should be right but converter and carb tune will be critical. Replacing the conventional break-in oil with Amsoil 5w-20 or 10w-30 Dominator synthetic will help too.

I still have to get the engine back. No set date on a debut. Local track tuning first, then hopefully an NHRA race before the end of the season. I still have my current IHRA efforts in Stock to worry about.

A few other details about the car itself, which are similar to my Dart:

* TTI 1 5/8-1 3/4" step headers with 3" X-pipe and Dynomax Bullet race mufflers.
* Holshot wheels and Hoosier tires all around.
* SS style springs.
* Frames tied w/8 point roll bar.
* Adjustable Rancho shocks in the rear and experimenting with custom double-adjustable shocks up front.
* JW 904 trans with reverse manual valve body & Hurst 1/4 stick.
* Lots of Mallory & Accel ignition products.
* Fuel will be Sunoco Purple, like I've used forever.
* 8 3/4" rear w/4.86 gear Cryo-REM treated by Evans Performance, lightened Moser spool & axles.
* Custom driveshaft by Gary's Driveline w/billet rear end yoke.
* Autometer Ultimate DL tach going in with O2 sensor to help tune the engine.

Auto Meter's Ultimate DL Playback Tach at PRI 2011 - YouTube

Needs paint after all the decals are off.
Not my garage. :sad7:

Aspen pics 4-12-2015 001.jpg

Aspen pics 4-12-2015 003.jpg

Aspen pics 4-12-2015 004.jpg

Aspen pics 4-12-2015 005.jpg

Aspen pics 4-12-2015 007.jpg

Last edited:

Locomotion

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm just as anxious to get it done so I can provide more info. But it's a slow process. I'll try to remember to continue this in the racing forum when the time comes.

Back