1978 Chasis Manual in PDF?

Tuba-man

Reaction score
Hi All,
Is there a PDF available of the 1978 Aspen/Volare anywhere? I need some detailed information about the windshield wiper linkage and not much is turning up in my search attempts. Have to replace the big wiper grommet/thingy with a repro one from Ebay. Dude's included instructions are pretty poor.
Thanks.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Your vehicle is referred to as "H-N" in the service manual.

This is from my ’77 Service Manual – which should the same on this item.
77 Wiper 1.JPG

77 Wiper 2.JPG

BudW

Tuba-man

Reaction score
Thanks! This will definitely help. Would it be possible to get a picture of the rest of the first page, with the complete figure?
Much appreciated - Trevor

SirRalliart

Reaction score
FYI - I bought a 1978 Chassis manual off of Amazon for $1.99 used. It came out of a library and in perfect condition. It's worth looking!

Tuba-man

Reaction score
Sounds like you scored a pretty good deal. I have been unable to find one for anything reasonable. Would you believe that all of the A body manuals through about 1973 are out there as free PDFs?!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The rest of the picture on first photo was for C-body (left side - Fig 12) and B-body (right side - fig 13). sense it wasn't applicable, i didn't take the entire photo.

However, I can if you want me to.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Getting a complete (factory) service manual for your car can be the most important tool in your tool box.
I have kept a copy of each service manual for every car I've owned and have an entire bookshelf full of service manuals.

Now why I kept the books, IDK.

I have spent a ton of money getting (and a few of them free) part manual PDF's (about '53 to 2012 minus '81 & 82) and factory service manuals (PDF's).
I thought about posting them or something else that our members can use - but hadn't gone any further than that.
My wife thinks posting a PDF that I paid for, is allowing others to steal. With all of the music sharing issues out there - i was unsure what to do, so hadn't done anything.

BudW

Tuba-man

Reaction score
Thanks Bud - big help in any event and I appreciate it. I was hoping the picture was of the weird orange grommet thing on the end of the wiper motor. The repair kit has a bunch of pieces and it's not clear to me what order they go in... the old ones are in pieces!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve been lucky and not had to work on one of those in 25+ years and either don’t remember how OR brain has locked that experience up in a lockbox somewhere inaccessible.

Too late now, but I would find the wiper motor arm and first link and switch it over to the more reliable newer version.
Then you can sell your old arm and parts kit, and let someone else figure it out.

I relooked at my '77 repair manual (and parts manual) and it doesn't mention anything about the wiper motor arm (not even a picture).

BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There is two different service manuals for ’78.
The one listed in above post (for all but electrical) and other one for Electrical items. The two different manuals in ’78 will include B, C, F, M and L (front wheel drive) bodies.

I would get both (electrical and non-electrical) books in paper or PDF format, if you own one of these cars.

Note: I prefer paper manuals – but have found the PDF versions are great for forum usage.

Note: the manuals will indicate what they are for. If they don’t indicate car lines, then it is for all passenger car lines.
Example:
67 A B Serv Manual.JPG

Cover shots of my two ’77 Service Manuals:
77 Serv Man cover.JPG

77 Serv Elect cover.JPG

Back