1979 and 1981 DIPLOMAT LOOK ALIKES

CM360

Reaction score
Are there any major body differences between the 79 and 81 Diplomat? I google and found conflicting results. I need my '81 to pass as a '79 to use a 360 motor. THX

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m guessing you live in California?

I can’t comment about the looks department.
The VIN is a different animal. ‘81’s use the 17 digit VIN and ‘79’s use a shorter one. I would think an emissions station will be going by the VIN, and not by vehicle looks (I’ve never been to an emissions inspection station before – so can’t comment).

Outside appearance of 318’s and 360’s are identical for the most part, and unless someone specifically looked at block numbers – how would they know what the displacement is.

As far as that goes, how would they know if a 318 (or 360) has a stroker kit installed and displacement is now 410 ci (or so)? Note: this is me thinking out loud – for I don’t know what they check for.

If they are that picky – is it worth the effort to change engines out every so often, to satisfy the emission gods?
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
You try to falsify the VIN on your car and get caught, go to jail and lose your car on the spot.

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
Are there any major body differences between the 79 and 81 Diplomat? I google and found conflicting results. I need my '81 to pass as a '79 to use a 360 motor. THX
I used to live in California and they use the current registration renewal notice which has the smog check due on it. And they notate or scan the VIN of off the automobile itself . I would not do anything illegal because you will get into trouble especially by the envirotards in California if you are a US citizen , if you are illegal and or on welfare they look the other way.

Mr C

Reaction score
They look different, especially out back. In 1980, the M bodies got their last facelift, smaller tail lights and the coupes lost the swoop in the quarters fronts were refined.

79 first, 80 (& 81) next.

dip154.jpg
1980-diplomat-1.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
The smog test people wouldn't know the difference by appearance of the car. As mentioned, changing VIN's and things like that is a big no-no. Never had to deal with smog check and probably never will so I can't say anything for sure (that's a disclaimer, lol)

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
if you are illegal and or on welfare they look the other way.
There you have it. The key to getting it snuck past Emissions Testing!

Opps, my bad. This now goes into a different section of forums.
My apologies!
BudW

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
There you have it. The key to getting it snuck past Emissions Testing!

Opps, my bad. This now goes into a different section of forums.
My apologies!
BudW
Sorry I tossed that in there , but yes the state is pretty darn strict on emissions control, everything is done by computer from the scanning of the registration to the scanning or recording of the VIN except for those thousands, and thousands of trucks rolling through billowing more smoke than the old coal fueled warships from the turn of the 19th century from our friendly NAFTA neighbors just below us. Homer Simpson's " DOH" I did it again .

Back