1980 Aspen water on driver side

J N

Reaction score
HI
As the title says i have problem with water and rust. Rain water is leaking under dash, and it got even worst when i clean all the leafs off air went. First i thought it was just dripping under windshield but problem seams to be cowl panel(?)(place between firewall and dashboard). There are some rust and holes that leads rainwater strait to drivers shoes or/and floor mat.
Is it possible weld and repair it under dash? Or only the hard way= There is some spot welds on firewall, so windshield off, drill spot and panel will pop off? Does anybody have done this before? And eve better some pictures would be great.
Thanks

Justwondering

Reaction score
I feel your pain.
My problem was more of a maintenance issue.
There was so much debris, leaves, insect parts, and even dirt in that cowling because the two vents had been blocked by twigs.

Once I cleaned everything out, it drained properly.

I don't have any experience with the rust issue, saved mine before that happened.

I'm sure someone will chime in soon... its been busy with July 4th holidays so I'd give the folks a little time to check back into the site.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Unless you are VERY experienced body guy, I'd stay away from drilling spot welds and pulling the upper cowl off. If it's the "floor" of the cowl that's rusted through, you can use auto body seam sealer from underneath (under the instrument panel) to fill the holes in. You could also weld from the underside if you remove the instrument panel and HVAC (if holes also on right side). Even with welding, the seam sealer is a good idea. Kind of belt and suspenders thing.

If you find the ring, or "wall" around the air intakes are rusted through, you can make a new piece and slide it in from underneath. If the piece fits tight enough, a bead of seam sealer around it before sliding it in will both seal and hold it in place, once the sealer cures.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
What Justwondering said, is it is more of a maintenance issue.

There are 3 black rubber flaps on engine side of firewall. The flaps are about 2”x3” in size and are designed to allow rain water to drain off. The problem is that cowl area gets full of dirt, debris, twigs, acorns, etc., and makes it hard for water to drain off.

I suspect if a person was to remove the black plastic cowl screen, get a flashlight and a mirror, you may find the cowl area needs to be cleaned out. Pull off the 3 flaps (one under wiper motor and both sides of firewall). Get a shop vac and suck out what you can. Then get a water hose at low pressure and get in there and gently wash the “stuff” out.

Reinstall the flaps and I bet, the water leak issue is resolved.

If not, then you can take a flashlight and poke around in cowl area while another person views under dash (or vice versa) to check for rust through areas.

I don’t think I have seen a cowl or firewall rust through before, like you describe.
Windshield frames and other areas, yes.
BudW

J N

Reaction score
Thanks to your answers. I was hoping more like weekend job, few hours welding, rebuilding then hit the road. I will take some pics and post then here somehow. Just got new welding machine and still learning how to use it. i have not weld car or any thin metal (under 2mm) since 2008, only stick weld and thick iron.

Aspen500 : I will try it under dashboard first. Seam sealer, have never heard of it. Same stuff what they use to attach modern car body parts ? Like really strong glue but its flexible. My biggest issue is the upper cowl panel. To remove it safe and get it back without leaking windshield etc..

BudW: Cowls was full of dirt. Even moss and lichen, and 1 bee nest.. I was sure that problem was solved and no more leaks. After cleaning session it really was pain to drive in rain. Water was pouring to feet and floor. Its able to see daylight under the dash. Aspen floors are good shape, only mild patina look. So this is so far only real rust hole.

J N

Reaction score
Here is the hole. Picture was taken from cowl panel.
Photobucket

Here same under dashboard. Around plastic air vent tube is rust and few small holes.
Photobucket

And from another angle
Photobucket

Need to weld under here. There was hole also from cowl to inner fender, right under Hood brackets.
Photobucket

Last edited:
Back