1980 J body rear wheel/tire combos?

shadango

Reaction score
So one of the first issues we need to take care of my the new-to-us 1980 Volare we just picked up this past saturday is to replace the ree-donk-you-luss rear wheels/tires on it.

Someone mounted 295-50r-15 tires on T-31 (chinese knockoff Weld style) 15x10" -25 offset wheels.

The car has air shocks to clear them.

The tires stick out an inch past the fender lip, illegal here....and honestly, just too big looking for the car. I like fat rear tires but....... LOL

I dont think we can go to a narrower tire on the same 15x10 rims....so I am thinking a 15x8 rim......

Would a 265 60 15 or a 275 60 15 on a 15x8 zero offset wheel fit as far as staying within the fender limits? We plan to keep the air shocks as we like the jacked-up look....but dont want to have an tread sticking out and we dont want running issues like we do now if we have a normal sized passenger in the back or if we hit really uneven terrain.

Also -- is it safe to assume that a 1980 would have the chrysler "big bolt" pattern?

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Joe12459

Reaction score
I have 275's on my Hemi Mirada and they clear the wheelwell on a zero offset wheel. There are some pics of my car in my garage if you want to see them.

Joe12459

Reaction score
I should mention, I have a B Body 8 3/4 rear, which extends about 1/2" further into the wheelwells than stock, but there's more than 1/2" clearance to the inside of the wheelwell, so it should be ok with a stock rear. Before I did the conversion, the car had 275's on the stock rearend, but I'm not sure what the offset was on the old wheels.

Back