1980 Volare Road Runner questions

drksd4848

Reaction score
Hi, everyone

New guy here. I have a few of questions about Volare Road Runners, specifically ones from 1980. There is one out there that has peaked my interest, and even if I don't buy it, I might snatch a different one up if I stumble on to it and it happens to be for sale.

-What's the market like for them?

- What parts interchange with it from '76-79? I know the entire front end is different, will fenders, hood (probably not) bumper from others fit a 1980?

- Did the '80 Volare RR have the heavy duty suspension?

- Will a 340 fit in it? Like one from say 70-73? I assume yes size wise, because the 360/340 is basically the same block. What about 383/400?

- can you get away with tearing out the lean-burn system? And pass inspection? I'm from NY.

- How about a 4-speed from a 68-72 B-body? Will the bell-housing fit?

- How was the sheet metal on these cars? Were they prone to rot like the earlier Volares.

- Did the t-tops have leak issues?

- Is there aftermarket, re-pro sheet metal available for these cars? Like repro fenders, quarter panels, trunks, floor pans, etc?

And, one other superfluous question: Was the cartoon bird decal ever put on these cars? I know there was decal name-plate, but it looks like the bird was gone after '78. Also, did the '80 come with a beep-beep horn?

I come from a family who owned three RRs - 72, 73, 74. We always use to snicker at Volare RRs, because we felt they were not "real" Road Runners. But as the price on the others keep sky-rocketing, I've been looking at them more and more. My real wish would be to have a '72, but how cool would it be to own the last car with the Road Runner package?

Greg55_99

Reaction score
1. Market? For an F-Body Road Runner? What market?

2. From 77 up, nearly everything will interchange. I also believe you can swap out the entire front end with the round light models.

3. Yes, a 340 will fit in. Ask me how I know...:)

4. Each state is different. In Massachusetts, they don't check pollution controls after 25 years but you'd have to go on the NY state website and find out how far back they go. They DO check safety however.

5. Yep, they rot like the early ones. It's just that so many of the factory replacement fenders for the 76-79 models are floating around, those are not expensive to procure. The 80's are a one shot deal.

6. B body 4-speed will not fit correctly out of the box. It places the shifter farther back than the F and A body. It also has a longer tail shaft. Also, on the B body bellhousing, there is no bracket to fit the z-bar. These issues can be worked out but it's simpler to find an A body 4-speed and bellhousing.

7. Sheet metal rot. Yes. See Deconstructor Jim for good parts.

8. Don't have a T top so I can't help there.

9. No aftermarket repro available. See Deconstructor Jim for good clean parts.

10. Yep, the 76 and 77 Road Runners had the cartoon bird on the tail panel.

11. I still get snickers about my 77.

drksd4848

Reaction score
1. Market? For an F-Body Road Runner? What market?

2. From 77 up, nearly everything will interchange. I also believe you can swap out the entire front end with the round light models.

3. Yes, a 340 will fit in. Ask me how I know...:)

4. Each state is different. In Massachusetts, they don't check pollution controls after 25 years but you'd have to go on the NY state website and find out how far back they go. They DO check safety however.

5. Yep, they rot like the early ones. It's just that so many of the factory replacement fenders for the 76-79 models are floating around, those are not expensive to procure. The 80's are a one shot deal.

6. B body 4-speed will not fit correctly out of the box. It places the shifter farther back than the F and A body. It also has a longer tail shaft. Also, on the B body bellhousing, there is no bracket to fit the z-bar. These issues can be worked out but it's simpler to find an A body 4-speed and bellhousing.

7. Sheet metal rot. Yes. See Deconstructor Jim for good parts.

8. Don't have a T top so I can't help there.

9. No aftermarket repro available. See Deconstructor Jim for good clean parts.

10. Yep, the 76 and 77 Road Runners had the cartoon bird on the tail panel.

11. I still get snickers about my 77.

Ya know, for the time those cars were no slouches... Relative to the what was out there, they were pretty quick. Those stock 360/318 had a heck of a lot of torque.

I have a gut feeling the value of those RR Volare's will rise. I just gotta get my hands on an '80 RR volare before they do. No easy feet though.

Greg55_99

Reaction score
PS. I think only cop cars and cabs had a "heavy duty" suspension. Mine didn't. Maybe the Super Coupes and Kit Cars.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
An ’80 RR will never have the “prestige” a ’70 RR will have – but you can make one run just as well, if not better.

A big block will fit and there are several in this forum that has done the changeover.
The raised block (413, 426w and 440) is a tighter fit than the 383/400 is, but both/either can be done.

A 340 or 360 (or small block stroked to over 400ci) makes for a simpler changeover. A few FMJ bodies came with a 360ci – but not very many.

I’m still in parts gather mode, and have plans on installing stroked 400ci engines into my ’86 5th Ave and ’77 Volare station wagon (family is opposed to the later project – but still gathering parts, anyway).

Most of the ’80 F-body differences, are the fenders, grill and hood. The bumpers and bumper fillers are also different. All could be changed with ’76-77 and ’78-79 models, fairly easily.

The down side on F bodies is parts availability. Older B-body cars had the same problem 20 years ago.

Greg55_99

Reaction score
If you're in New York, looks like you're OK with emissions:

NY Vehicle Inspection Exemptions
There are no exemptions for vehicle safety inspections. Some vehicles are exempt from emissions inspections depending on the age or type of the vehicle. Emissions exemptions extend to:

• Vehicles less than 2 years old.
  • Vehicles older than 25 years old.
  • Electric vehicles.*
  • Motorcycles.
  • Vehicles registered with historical plates.
  • Vehicles that meet heavy safety inspection standards, as defined by the NY DMV.
  • Diesel powered vehicles model year 1997 and newer that weigh under 8,501 pounds.*

slant6billy

Reaction score
Are you looking to drive and enjoy, then an 80 Runner is going to be a blast. Buying just to resell on a quick flip? Good luck! I got 79 Volare' road worthy much faster and cheaper than my budy's cuda
IMG_20160910_130745.jpg

Or the 69 RR
69 rr.jpg

Still waiting for the re-assembly. All the while I'm blasting in my 79

droptop

Reaction score
Hi, everyone

New guy here. I have a few of questions about Volare Road Runners, specifically ones from 1980. There is one out there that has peaked my interest, and even if I don't buy it, I might snatch a different one up if I stumble on to it and it happens to be for sale.

-What's the market like for them?
Weak.

- What parts interchange with it from '76-79? I know the entire front end is different, will fenders, hood (probably not) bumper from others fit a 1980?
Entire dog house is 80 only.

- Did the '80 Volare RR have the heavy duty suspension?
Only police I think they had bigger sway bars.

- Will a 340 fit in it? Like one from say 70-73? I assume yes size wise, because the 360/340 is basically the same block. What about 383/400?
Any LA small block is a bolt in. B engines will need to be persuaded.

- can you get away with tearing out the lean-burn system? And pass inspection? I'm from NY.
No lean burn on 80. Only an air pump.

- How about a 4-speed from a 68-72 B-body? Will the bell-housing fit?
????? Mine is automatic and I like it that way.

- How was the sheet metal on these cars? Were they prone to rot like the earlier Volares.
The front fenders don't rust out like earlier models, but the rest of the car has all the same problem areas.

- Did the t-tops have leak issues?
The only t-top car I have ever had is a 79 R/T parts car, and the ENTIRE floor pan is rusted away, so yeah I would say they all leak. LOL.

- Is there aftermarket, re-pro sheet metal available for these cars? Like repro fenders, quarter panels, trunks, floor pans, etc?
None.

And, one other superfluous question: Was the cartoon bird decal ever put on these cars? I know there was decal name-plate, but it looks like the bird was gone after '78. Also, did the '80 come with a beep-beep horn?
I have been told that the deal with Warner Brothers for the Road Runner cartoon and the "sound" of the Road Runner was from 69 thru 75 only.

Mine came from a family who owned three RRs - 72, 73, 74. We always use to snicker at Volare RRs, because we felt they were not "real" Road Runners. But as the price on the others keep sky-rocketing, I've been looking at them more and more. My real wish would be to have a '72, but how cool would it be to own the last car with the Road Runner package?
I enjoy mine. It is one of my favorite cars to drive.

IMG_2104.JPG

IMG_2079 (2).JPG

drksd4848

Reaction score
Older B-body cars had the same problem 20 years ago.

Here's a pseudo Road Runner story for you, speaking of part scarcity: Around '81 or '82 my Dad looked into getting our '72 restored; there was rust/rot in all the major areas: inner and outer quarters, hood hinges, etc. The big thing was the inner quarter panels - They were totally gone.

He took it to two body shops. The first guy flat out wouldn't do it. He said those cars (B-bodies) were unrestorable. The second guy would do it for $5000 - in 1982. (keep in mind, my parents paid $4000 for the car when they bought it brand new) He said he'd have to fabricate all the body panels because nobody makes them.

Now look where we are. You can get all that stuff now. But the annoying thing is it took places like Year One nearly 30 years to actually acknowledge anything Mopar. They had Chevy and Ford parts falling out of their butts for ever.

If you're in New York, looks like you're OK with emissions:

If I had historic plates and Antique insurance, it probably wouldn't matter. The drawback would be that I'd only be able to drive it 5 miles a year.

Are you looking to drive and enjoy, then an 80 Runner is going to be a blast.

Drive and enjoy. I keep thinking Volare Road Runner now because they're they only kind of Road Runners out there that are affordable. I think 80 looked the best. Although, they come up for sale as often as Haley's comet. And to find one in good shape...

...And as soon as I say that, sure enough. How about I give you my number for when you decide to sell it ;)

This is a great forum guys. Thank you!

drksd4848

Reaction score

Hey Droptop, could you tell me a little about yours? Like how you found it, what it needed, biggest problems, etc. It's gorgeous. The perfect driver. Lucky you. I'd love to see more pics too!

droptop

Reaction score
I found the car in Paducah KY. It sold new there and was owned by the original owner for 10 years. He traded it back in at the same dealership where he bought it. The salesman that sold the car new liked it so much he bought it and took it home and put in his garage where it stayed until he passed away. His family sold it to a guy that was going to make a race car out of it until he saw how nice it was, and decided to let someone preserve this one.
With a 14 year old son, I decided to get it and make a nice driver for him. The original 318 was still in very good shape with about 90,000 miles on the clock. The car was and still is rust free, but the paint was faded and thin. I had a coat of fresh base/clear put on, re-chromed the bumpers, and had new decals put on. I went through the mechanical's to make sure it was safe to drive. (tires, brakes, shocks, exhaust etc) I gave the keys to him on his 16th birthday. To my surprise, he would not take them. He said that he saw how much time and money I had put into the car, and if he tore it up, he was afraid that I might kill him. Needless to say, I was devastated. So I gave him my daily driver at the time, a 01 Stratus R/T that he nicknamed it the CM Stratus. (chick magnet)
My wife and I would get the car out of the pole barn on occasion for a drive or go to a cruise night. We even drove it to The Carlisle Chrysler Nationals one year (1400 mile trip) A few years went by and the 80 got pushed back further into the corner of the barn.
Then last year, Matt got married and he told me that he wanted to drive "his car" from the church to the reception. I was totally shocked. The car had not seen daylight for about 3 years. I charged up the battery, put some fresh gas into it, and it came back to life like it hadn't been sitting at all.
We are talking about taking a couple of our Road Runners back to the Carlisle Chrysler Nationals in 2018 for the celebration of 50 years of the Road Runner.

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_2104.JPG

drksd4848

Reaction score
My dad got me a car when I was 17: A 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass with that godawful 3.8l GM V6. It burned so much oil that I think I got 20 miles per quart.

But anyway...

That car looks so nice. If I couldn't get a '72 - which looks more and more unlikely as the years go by - THAT'D be exactly what I'd want. But 80 Volare RRs, let alone ones in that kind of shape, are probably impossible to find. Of the 500 that were built, I wonder how many are still on the road? There should be a registry or something.

BTW, droptop, did it come with the "beep beep" horn? And, did you say "Road Runners" as in you own more than one?

droptop

Reaction score
..........BTW, droptop, did it come with the "beep beep" horn? And, did you say "Road Runners" as in you own more than one?

No, it did not come with the beep beep horn, I put that on there. And yes, I have multiple Road Runners. My wife calls it my obsession. LOL.

75RRMurphyPark3.JPG

DSC_0138.JPG

11209363_831412580260431_5757755977713187587_n.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Horns from late ‘60’s to early ‘90’s are pretty much the same – except for the beep beep horn (black in ’68 and purple for later years).

The ’68-70 horns have a long pedestal on them so they can be easily seen with hood open.

The early ’71 and up horn have a normal pedestal on them and can easily fit FMJ cars.
What I don’t know is what the final year of the beep beep horn is.

Personally, I wouldn’t want a Road Runner without one.

I kinda want to get a couple, putting one on my Volare wagon and other one away – but pocketbook says otherwise.

BudW

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I have seen them for years, in the cars, but never actually heard one. Do they really sound that different than a regular horn? Are they available as a repop in the after-market?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't recall seeing one on an F body before, from the factory. Also, I don't recall seeing one on 'the '75's as well - but that, by no means, doesn’t mean they didn't come that way.

For those who don’t know, the horn, when switch/button is pressed fast twice, sounds like “beep beep” (just like the cartoon), and not “Wonk” (or whatever one might want to describe it).

The ’68-70 horns look like this
68 RR horn a.jpg

68 RR horn b.jpg

‘68’s were black and long stand

’69 up purple (or whatever color one might call that) and have a sticker on them saying “voice of the Road Runner” on them). Actually, I don’t recall seeing any stickers on ’71 up horns (not easily seen – like the ’68-70 horns are) – but that doesn’t mean they were not there.
’69-70 shown, with long stand.
69-70 RR Horn a.jpg

69-70 RR Horn b.jpg

’71-74? With short stand (meant to be placed behind grill).
71-74 RR Horn a.jpg

71-74 RR Horn b.jpg

Note: above pictures swiped from eBay.

Note: I don't have any data to dispute the last year they were installed from factory.
I do know that I like the horn and I do have plans on placing one on my station wagon when extra $ comes along.

There is at least one company repop-ing them, maybe more.

DCAspen

Reaction score
The horns have aluminum windings inside to give the different sound.Made by Sparton,same horn in Army Jeeps

Greg55_99

Reaction score
I bought my 77 Road Runner new off the lot in 1978. It did not and does not have a "beep beep" horn.

Greg

Back