1981 Carbriolet (Fake Convertible roof questions

kkritsilas

Reaction score
My 1981 Mirada CMX has the standard cabriolet (I think that's the right term for the fake convertible) roof. It is mostly in excellent shape, somewhat dirty, but otherwise no holes or splits anywhere. The edging on the outside edge of the roof has let go, and I would like to try to have just the edging replaced or re-stitched. Is this possible? I remember reading here on the board somewhere, that the cabriolet roof is actually made on a fiberglass base that is glued to the metal roof (it actually blows off once in a while from what I have read)? Is this correct? If so, is it possible for an interior shop to remove the entire fiberglass top, redo the stitching/edging, and then put the entire thing (glue it back down) back onto the car? I am trying to figure out a way to retain the original cloth/fabric on the cabriolet roof, as it seems to have a linen type texture to it, and I don't think I can find anybody with that type of material. It would also be great to keep the original material on there if possible.

Kostas

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
The original material was called Sail Cloth, it was a canvas type, similar to vinyl. The surface pattern has small diamond imprint.
Vinyl reproductions have round imprints.
Cloth type fabrics can also be found in the aftermarket.

The material is glued to a THIN fiberglass shell.
I wouldn't try to remove the shell, perhaps just stitch the edging back on in place, using the same holes tht are present in the roof fabric.

A little fact for you, I never could get glass coverage on a Mirada with the Cabriolet Roof, due to the fact that the fiberglass shell has to be removed to replace the rear window.......

kkritsilas

Reaction score
MiradaMegaCab:

Thanks for the information. I am mot going to even attempt this, I want to take it to a professional upholstery shop. I was just thinking that it would be easier for them to take it off the car, but it is up to whoever gets to do the job. I just thought since a lot of people have reported the cabriolet roof blowing off in one piece, that this would be an approach that the shop could take to get the stitching redone.

what is used to glue the shell to the roof, and does it need to be replaced? Would anybody know?

Kostas

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
The factory glue dries out, it seems to adhere to the metal roof but lose bond retention with the fiberglass over time.
When I had an upholstery shop replace the material, I insisted that GE Window Silicone 2 be used, as it provides a flexible bond. The factory adhesive does not flex, in fact it resembles bondo, when flexed, it cracks.
There are metal clips that are riveted to the roof and to the fiberglass shell for retension and location purposes. I can upload a pic if u want.
Typically what I would recommend for added security is to get a dozen pencils, insert about 2" between the roof and fiberglass shell, on the leading edge above the winshield, spaced 4" apart, then inject the window silicone and as u remove the pencils, the fiberglass cap squeezes out the excess silicone.
If any air gets between the roof and fiberglass cap, its bad. The cap sort of acts like a parachute.
I also recommend any drag racer to run a strip of Gaffers tape across the upper edge of the windshied and have that spread over the Cabriolets leading edge.

Back