FOR SALE 1983 Imperial- Easy Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebruss

Reaction score
Contact seller
I have an '83 Imperial that I bought with the intentions of doing a DD restoration on, to match my '81. Just not enough time, so as much as I know I'll regret it, here it is For Sale.

1983 Imperial, Black with Red Mark Cross Leather. The body is actually pretty decent, the interior needs attention, particularly the seats. Glass is all good. Matching wire factory wheel covers.

It's still equipped with the Fuel Injection System. Previous owner said that it ran/drove fine when he parked it, though he had experienced some trouble with that system. Everything's there, though it will not run on it's own. Spray some carb cleaner down the intake, and it runs great. This was a running, driving, and well maintained car when it was put away 10 years ago. Oil is clean, coolant is bright green, etc.

Some rust, though very little rust-through. Some dings, mostly from being parked, no major dents.

I really don't know what it's worth and am open to offers, as long as the prospective owner is going to fix it up. I will not knowingly sell it to be scrapped or derbied, it's too nice. I'm just west f Lincoln Nebraska. Phone is 402-304-4016.

IMAG0015.JPG

IMAG0018.JPG

IMAG0016.JPG

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Nice looking car, but no such thing as an easy restoration. If it's easy, it's not a restoration. I hope you find a home for it. Post some better close up pics of details, warts and all, and you may get better response.

Nebruss

Reaction score
Nice looking car, but no such thing as an easy restoration. If it's easy, it's not a restoration. I hope you find a home for it. Post some better close up pics of details, warts and all, and you may get better response.
You are correct, they're all lots of work, at least to make'em perfect. I've learned that if they have to be perfect, I cannot afford as many as if I'm satisfied with good reliable daily drivers that look respectable, so that's what I seem to have in my fleet. This car was even getting thumbs up when it was on the trailer coming home!
I guess by easy, I should've said "easier" because many times the almost impossible challenge with full restorations is searching for parts, and in this case it's a complete car that will start and move on it's own power.
It's now parked in the shed, so it'll be a little bit before I can wash it up and take more detailed pictures. There's a Mopar swap meet in Omaha here in the next month or so, so I may trailer it there and see if there's any interest.
I'd like to get $1,200 for it, or an interesting trade. Otherwise, I'll probably put on an intake and carb, clean it up and have a decent looking black one to go with my decent looking white '81.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the car black? I can’t tell for sure, from pictures.
Not that fond of black, though (so maybe it's dark blue or brown . . .)

I’ll install a newer 4-bbl appearing fuel injection in place of the current F.I. and drive it - if I had it.

Distance is an issue – but I’m interested.
What kind of things are you looking for, for possible trade(s)?
BudW

Nebruss

Reaction score
I'm always interested in cars or trucks. Mopar obviously, but for whatever reason I'm also into diesels, Peugeot, Mercedes, VW, BMW, etc. OK City isn't really that far, I go to Tulsa often as we have a bus factory there. I've been known to load the trailer and meet part-way for the right deal.

6thGenImperial

Reaction score
Again, just a carb won't cut it. The fuel pump in the tank is probably dead, and when I pulled mine out, it was corroded solid, so no fuel flow there. I removed the pump and replaced with a section of fuel line, and connected a mesh screen to it. There are 4 fuel filters, 2 by the tank, two on the passenger side well, behind the right front wheel well. I pulled them and went with a single fuel line section, installing a filter near the carb. You can use MSD's new programmable ignition to run the distributor, or something else (electronic without vacuum advance), or swap there too. The engine does have the fuel pump eccentric on the cam, so you can add a mechanical fuel pump (I just did this to mine), or plumb in some other electric unit. I do plan on an intake/carb swap later for increased performance, but in the short run, I took a 1/2 inch flat plate 2V to 4V carb adapter, drilled holes to match to the stock intake (the injector has a weird bolt pattern), bolted it all together, and just used RTV black as a gasket between the plate and the intake. It's just the usual 2V setup for Chryslers. The throttle and kickdown linkages used on the Fuel Injection all hooked right up to the carb since it's a Chrysler setup. Doing this might also make it more sellable to a non-collector that just wants a good-running, simple-to maintain car

Nebruss

Reaction score
Again, just a carb won't cut it. The fuel pump in the tank is probably dead, and when I pulled mine out, it was corroded solid, so no fuel flow there. I removed the pump and replaced with a section of fuel line, and connected a mesh screen to it. There are 4 fuel filters, 2 by the tank, two on the passenger side well, behind the right front wheel well. I pulled them and went with a single fuel line section, installing a filter near the carb. You can use MSD's new programmable ignition to run the distributor, or something else (electronic without vacuum advance), or swap there too. The engine does have the fuel pump eccentric on the cam, so you can add a mechanical fuel pump (I just did this to mine), or plumb in some other electric unit. I do plan on an intake/carb swap later for increased performance, but in the short run, I took a 1/2 inch flat plate 2V to 4V carb adapter, drilled holes to match to the stock intake (the injector has a weird bolt pattern), bolted it all together, and just used RTV black as a gasket between the plate and the intake. It's just the usual 2V setup for Chryslers. The throttle and kickdown linkages used on the Fuel Injection all hooked right up to the carb since it's a Chrysler setup. Doing this might also make it more sellable to a non-collector that just wants a good-running, simple-to maintain car

Nebruss

Reaction score
I actually installed a carb and distributor on my '81 Imperial., and am not a stranger to the job. It was a nice weekend job just puttzing along. Myself, I just went with a 2bbl intake, and used a Carter BBD, so I had ported vacuum for the advance. I used a standard Mopar electronic distributor with vacuum advance and standard centrifugal advance springs, a used OE Mopar electr module, and wired it up, used split loom, and did it up right. I know a lot of guys go with the full kit from MPerf, but, I'm cheap, so I went to junk yard. I had less than $200 in the whole conversion. I did use an electric fuel pump mounted back by the tank with an inline filter and new line. The car runs flawlessly. It starts instantly, idles smooth, and goes down the road fine. Pulls right at 21mpg on the highway! Not a hi-po barn burner, but with the long-legged RA ratio, it never will be, and I'm OK with that.

6thGenImperial

Reaction score
Proof that there's more than one way to do this. Mine is a long way from final config, but it's definitely getting there. My co-workers have no mechanical clue, and most think I'm kinda crazy, but I think it's crazy to finance $40K for an SUV. My old stuff will do just fine.

6thGenImperial

Reaction score
I was out getting a trans filter and gasket yesterday. The dude said eight ninety five. As I inspected the kit to make sure it had a rubber gasket, my GF said, $895?!!!. Uh, no dear. Maybe on those new cars, but not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back