1987 5th Avenue...

53ryder

Reaction score
Looking at an 1987 5th Avenue tomorrow. Did see it today but a rotted fuel hose started leaking. Owner fixed it and I'm going back tomorrow to look at it again and try a test drive. It had been sitting for about four weeks. Started right up.

There is a small travel bag in the trunk filled with two large manilla folders stuffed with all the repair records from the 1st owners for the 28 years they owned it. Wow!

Anything specific issue to a 5th Avenue I should look for?

Glenn

53ryder

Reaction score
Ummm...the car does have the lean burn system. It did start up yesterday rather nicely after sitting for 4 weeks. Should I buy the car I'm assuming there is enough experience here to assist me should I desire to switch it out for a more conventional set-up some time later?

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
Rust hiding underneath the chrome trim pieces around the wheel wells and bottoms of the doors and quarter panels. Check the bottoms of the rear quarter panels for rust/holes, particularly the areas directly behind the rear wheels. Pop the trunk and feel down in the side storage compartments for moisture and look for visible day light. That area is prone to rust if the cars seen enough wet weather in its life; bunch of seams, spot welds and sealant that are all to inviting to moister. If you can, get a good look at the undercarriage and suspension and check over then control arms and K frame mounts to make sure everything nice and solid and not rusted out and flaking apart.
Lean burn would be easy enough, we’ll all point you in the right direction if you go that route.

How much they asking? Got any pictures?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Ummm...the car does have the lean burn system. It did start up yesterday rather nicely after sitting for 4 weeks. Should I buy the car I'm assuming there is enough experience here to assist me should I desire to switch it out for a more conventional set-up some time later?
how much is asking price? The computer is no big deal to change out to conventional ignition and carbonator if it has problems.

53ryder

Reaction score
Drove car today, some residential streets and some freeway, I-5 . Car drove okay. Did panic stop brake check. Stopped quickly, no mushy pedal. Stopped in a straight line. Plenty of heat. Told AC works well but too cold out to try. All switches at each door work, windows up and down, door locks work in front seats. Radio (AM/FM) works. Didn't have a cassette so couldn't check player. Headliner in back around rear window sagging and headliner material on both A pillars could use replacing. At end of drive wipers stopped working. The owner and I found old brittle wiper bushing (end cap) had broke off and connecting rods on wiper mechanism wouldn't attach where they should. New bushings ordered. No other obvious mechanical issues found.

When I go back to help with wipers I will check out body near wheel wells for rust. Will check out rear trunk spaces. Get body up on ramps and check underside.

Owner asking $2,900. I may feel better at $2,400 or $2,500. Haven't bought it yet, but not afraid of the car either.

Thanks for tips!!

LSM360

Reaction score
I agree, checking behind molding is a good idea, if you can. Some molding doesn't come of easy, such as rocker molding. Dirt and water gets trapped under there, so you can have hidden rust there so be prepared for that. Remove door sills (just three phillips screws) and pull carpet up as much as you can and look with flashlight at floorboards for any bad rust and feel for dampness. All in all, sounds like a good car though, but always best to know what you're getting into.

53ryder

Reaction score
Would this 1987 5th Avenue have a plug-in for a OBD code reader at all? Someone here should know.

Glenn

53ryder

Reaction score
Checked out car today again. Not signs of rust. Took magnet around wheel wells checking for bondo. Didn't find any. California car until 2 years ago, now in Washington state. Got wipers working. Car looks well cared for. Thinking of buying it. Will post pictures if I do.

Back