2 Part survey: What draws you to...

drpreposterous

Reaction score
Like most of you, I have something of the hunter-gatherer in my veins. It's something that compels us to keep looking, even after we've made a catch. So I flit from FABO to FBBO to FBCO and here (not FEBO--might as well be Ferraris as far as my budget is concerned). I have far less Mopar history than most here, having had one early A and one M in my life. But the Mopar blue does run in me. My dad was in Chryco design, working alongside Exner and Maury Baldwin. Even now I own a Jeep and an '08 Magnum. My only stray moment occurred when I bought a Studebaker Lark (ya, not even a GT Hawk or Daytona). My turn for Mopar fun is coming again, though, soon. What I want to find out from you loyal Mopar zealots is two fold:

Exner_s_office_designed_by_Bubba.jpg

My Dad designed Exner's office for him in the mid-50s.

1. If FMJ is your primary hunting ground, why? Why not B-bodies or C-bodies or As?

2. Even a rookie like me knows the differences between the Ms--Plym/Dodge/Chrysler--are fewer and smaller than the similarities. Which do you prefer and why?

I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say.
Brian

4speedjim

Reaction score
I look and buy much of what Is offered that fits my 81 Doba "J" body here. I'm only a member here, not the others. I do snipe the other sites and read the posts. Theyre usually rather nasty if your new. And God forbid your not one of the boys. Guys just getting into the hobby ask a question the boys deemed stupid or ill informed. You'll be flamed by the pile on. Most the posts Ive read turn ugly at the other sites in short order. 19 pages and never answer a question on track width! NINETEEN pages!
I like it here. Everyone here is mature and friendly. The year or 2 Ive been here and never ran across a cross or course word. So I like it, I'm comfortable here. Its Well run and full of good people.
The prices here are fair, and everything Ive bought has been better that advertised. I have always been treated like a friend. You cant put a price on that, but if you could, give my money to the friend.
C-P-D preference? I was raised by a CPD+Ram+Amc Jeep Renault dealership. I have no general Favorite. But Ive always preferred the 'Cuda to the Challenger. Probably choose a Charger over a 69 Runner but the 2gen Satellite/Runner vs Charger? Coin toss. A body? Prefer the duster dart sport, but loved my '68 square Dart.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
For point 1: The FMJs, and in my particular case, J bodies, appeal to me for a number of reasons. First is that I find them a good looking car, both in Mirada and Cordoba forms. They are both elegant and sporty. They are also smaller and lighter than the B's and especially the C's, and I don't find most of the A bodies all that attractive, aside from the 1970s Demon/Duster 340/360s. The cars are fairly simple (compared to the computerized cars of today),and are also very reliable once put together properly. They are also dirt cheap compared to most B two doors, and even cheap compared to A bodies (A body prices seem to be on a fast climb). I know about the quality issues, and spare parts situation, but overall, I really like the J's.

Can't really say much about part 2, as I really only like the J's. I know there are two door Ms, but they are not common, and the only M that does appeal is the 5th Ave., so the Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler comparison is not something I can speak much of.

Last edited:

Joe12459

Reaction score
I like all things Mopar. I have a '72 RR right now in addition to three Miradas, a 14 Dart and a 97 Ram. I've had As, Es and other Bs before as well.
I guess I don't really have a preference. I find myself looking at all types of Mopars, classic and modern, and imagining what I would do with them. If only I had a bigger bank account!
I like to build/drive unique, or at least unusual cars. I like the F/M/J platform because they're good looking Mopars that are, for the most part, overlooked by the mainstream Mopar crowd. That makes them at least somewhat unusual. I guess that's why I prefer J bodies, and in particular Miradas, as there seem to be a lot fewer of them around. The added bonus is the shock on the Camaro driver's face when he gets blown away by a car he's never heard of.

80mirada

Reaction score
Like Joe, I love Mopars, having owned too many. 79 Magnum, 80 Mirada, 68 Roadrunner, 84 Shelby Charger, 87 Shadow ES, 97 Intrepid, 00 Neon, 03 Intrepid ES, 04 SRT 4, 07 Charger RT, and 16 Caravan. I grew up with Aspen R/ts and Volare Roadrunners, Super Coupes, Kit Cars, Magnum GTs, and Miradas on the new car lots and Chargers, Challengers, Cudas, GTXs amd Roadrunners tearing up the cruise strip.

My bent towards FMJ bodies and late B bodies comes from the people in this part of the hobby and the low cost of entry. The people who are into the non mainstream Mopars are more friendly and open, the way ALL mopar people used to be. The high values of the mainstream cars have drawn a lot of less desirable behavior into the Mopar hobby.

drpreposterous

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I, too, was initially drawn by the low cost of entry, but am glad to find passion for things Mopar and a friendly atmosphere. Can't wait for my next set of wheels!

Oldiron440

Reaction score
For me it's the 440, I have swapped it into a 67 A BODY, 65 Willis Jeep 2wd pu, and my Fbody. I am into 440s, W Ford's and air cooled VWs.
I started my Fbody after an article in 1980 about a guy that had a wrecking yard and built a 440 Fbody, ran mid tens easy pesy. It took a little more effort than that but I got it done and I can still drive it.
A big thanks to my buddy JD, RIP.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I used to drive ANYTHING, until the late 70's and Mopar looked it was down and out.
Got into A bodies, because they where cheap, then they all rusted out and died, so I went F's
At one time I had 19 F's at once. All 2drs or 360 wagons, because I hated 4drs then.

Then the F's died out and came across a 81 Lebaron 4dr.
At that time I didn't know my M stuff, but after I sold it I found/figured out it was a ex Manitoba fire chief car, with goodies I just 'tossed' away with the sale.

My 79 Lebaron Texas car showed up in my life July 1997 with the cost of $352.
Month later I got those wheels for $125.
1998 I had it painted for $1200.
Paint was fine, but there was a lot of door dings on the passenger side.

Currently use a $600 86 F/A for a daily driver.

leb1.jpg

fa1.jpg

drpreposterous

Reaction score
I figured this would draw out an interesting mix of back stories. And you guys didn't disappoint! We've gotten the practical hobbyist, the one who doesn't want to be like everyone else, and OldIron, who may yet plop a 440 into an ice cream truck! Thank you, again, guys for the perspectives!

barbee6043

Reaction score
My 2 cents a little late. I have had all the Mopars since the mid 80, except a winged car and any FMJR cars.. And buddy offered me a choice of his 3 projects (440-6) project winded cars for $5000 take my pick ( 1994 or 5) !!! I passed! ha
I wanted an F body as I like the style and I am always a bargain hunter. Yep still cheap. I currently also have a 62 Lancer and 71 Duster.
I spend too much time on FABO, good group but they can get a little sarcastic but they love to help ( sift out the bad info!! ) ha
I want a Mirada. I love its look. Like a decent F body wagon, but again I lived in Mo. 40 years , an nothing there sells for what it doe elsewhere!!! I am spoiled!!

Justwondering

Reaction score
I have the 87 Silver F/A
But dang if I can find a green 79 2-door lebaron.
I'll just patiently wait for you to get bored with yours.
Kinda like Darth-Car. I'm waiting on his F/A as well.

Meanwhile, I'm looking for a 77 Cordoba in just the right color combinations. May take a while, but Hubby has actually agreed to own one of those.

I'll just continue to live my life through all of your sweet rides...

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
From thread https://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/classicmopar/threads/first-time-entering-into-a-car-show.5250/#post-57856
"I have owned a number of vehicles through the years (in order of purchase)
’67 Satellite (Sold, then kid rolled car 2 weeks later),
’77 Cordoba (Sold, I heard car was totaled a month later, but un-confirmed)
’69 Road Runner (had to sell due to divorce, I heard fell off of flat semi-trailer and into oncoming traffic at highway speeds – but un-confirmed)
’70 300H (need more parts and a lot more $ before I start restoration – which I’ve said for 30 years now)
’87 Shelby Daytona (my only new vehicle, was stolen)
’68 Charger (kid tossed firecracker in cracked open window, burnt to ground)
‘91 Caravan (died from rust)
’92 Shadow America coupe (totaled, got me 35 MPG)
’90 Sundance (it left with ex-wife)
’89 Pontiac Grand Am (came with current wife, sold, then died in tornado a couple months later)
’98 Stratus (2.4L – fun to drive, sold, then totaled a month later)
’96 Town and Country (died due to old age)
’94 Dodge ¾ ton diesel pickup (totaled)
’97 Dodge ¾ ton diesel pickup (gets me 24+ MPG – not bad for a vehicle weighing 9000 pounds).
’78 Road Runner (recently traded with my brother – it needs a lot of work)
’00 Town and Country (totaled)
’86 5th Ave
’84 Gran Fury AHB (badly rusted body, I robbed parts from then sold rest of the cancerous shell – which got crushed a month later), never driven, so not counted.
’02 Town and Country
’77 Volare wagon
(17 vehicles in 34 years of driving)."

37 years driving, now.

When my ‘68 Charger went up in smoke (purchased in ’86 and died in ’97), it was starting to have some cancer issues – but I did drive car most days.
Afterwards I went to look for another B-body and found (then) they were out of my price range. I even held onto a garage full of B-body parts in hopes of another one falling into my lap.

Note: my ’67 Satellite was nice. Last year for actual chrome A and C-pillar trim). Actually, most of the interior was actual chrome (metal chrome, not the plastic stuff). At the time – no one was making any parts for them all I could was rusted out hulls (for like 10 grand).

About that time, my ’86 5th Ave was obtained cheap via estate sale.
I’m the 2nd owner and original owner lived 2 blocks away. Not turned back, sense.

I still visit FABO, FBBO and FCBO – mainly to buy or sell parts.
I never got into E-bodies, but my younger brother is.
BudW

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
My worst mistake might have been a F.
Early 1980, looking for a Mopar.
Looked at a 1970 Superbird, blue, white/black guts, 440 4bbl/auto.
He wanted $4500, and they couldn't sell them for $4500 new.

Looked at 77 Aspen /6 2dr, orange, black lower stripe package/ /6 2bbl, black guts with gray dinosaur inserts, low miles
Paid $3000.

I still have that car, but if I got $5000, that would be tough, with the Superbird, could have made good money when they skyrocketed in price.

Worst thing is seeing it at Moparfest.

Aspen500

Reaction score
My dad drove (and drives) only Mopar, and he is a car guy. His dad drove only Mopar so it was a given I'd be a Mopar guy. Since 1981 I've had E-bodies (4), B-bodies (76 and newer B-body that is) and a couple a-bodies ('66 Dart's) along with other vehicles. Ended up being an F-body guy by accident. I was a tech at a Ford dealer and in 1987, the Aspen I have now got traded in on a new Taurus(WTF??????). Never gave the cars much thought other than I liked the looks. I saw it sitting in the back and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,long story short, $700 and it was all mine. A '79 Aspen Sunrise. Have actually only owned one other f-body and it was a '78 parts car I got for $100 when the left spring front hanger decided to have a look at the inside of the car. Yes, Wisconsin car born and raised. IF I was looking for an additional hobby car, it would probably be an F-body because A, B, and E are out of my price range nowdays. First car I bought when I was 16 was a 1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe and in 1981 that was a $600 car. Can only imagine what it'd be worth now, even if it was exactly the same condition as when I bought it (Again, Wisconsin car). Paid $100 for a '72 Barracuda around 1984, and around that time also had a '73 Challenger Rallye 340, 4-speed that I paid a whole $275 for. Those days are long gone :(

D

Deleted member 1959

When I bought my LeBaron (M-body) I did not even know Chrysler used letters to name their cars I must admit. I had heard of the K-cars that came out after Chrysler was restructured, but that was it.
I live in Denmark, where everything related to cars is insanely expensive. (Gas - $1,7/liter, car taxes, spares, tax on imported spares etc.)

The prices for US classic cars are also up there. A 60´s Mustang convertible or a 68 Charger is around $40.000.
I have had 8 classic/fun cars the past 20 years, and I am not a brand fanatic thank God. I have never bought the same brand twice. My only other US car was the one I thought was the greatest car of the 60s - The 67 Oldsmobile Toronado. I had it for 4 years, and it was the greatest classic car I have ever had.
Besides being a great car, the Toronado was also very rare and that is part of the reason I wanted it. I would never buy a mainstream classic like a Mustang/Corvette/Camaro - everyone has/wants them and that turns me off.

But back to the LeBaron: I knew my next US car should be good-looking, in original condition and rust-free. I like the boxy, classic design of US cars from the 70s to the mid 80s and originally wanted a Caprice or a Seville, but could not find one i Denmark that fitted my criteria. Then the LeBaron appeared and I started doing some research on the model and Chrysler and it kind of grew on me.
I like the classic front sculptured like the Parthenon and the tiny boattail a´la the Riviera. It is the only one of its kind here, and I like it for the styling, the quiet ride and the color - white is always elegant.

barbee6043

Reaction score
I equate smiles per mile, and smiles per $. I find the F bodies to supply all my needs in those departments! Yes in general, the guys into the later models here are more like Mopar people used to be decades ago. Mopar guys were the underdog, the guys that loved the unloved, the much smaller group than GM and Ford, we tended to bond more.
Sine mid 80's I have had pretty mch them all, A, B, E bodies, this 79 Volare is my first F body. I really like the car and the people associated with these wonders from the late 70's, 80's..

volare 77

Reaction score
WOW! I could write a two page story but I`ll make it real short. My first car was a 66 Coronet 361, car two 72 Charger 318, car three 76 Volare RR 318 after that too many mopars to list so I will say my last two old mopars were 73 Charger Rallye 340 and 77 Volare RR 360. (not counting parts cars in between) The only mopars I have now are my 77 Volare and my 06 Ram 2500 . The third car my 76 volare was my favorite as I spent a lot of track time with it after putting in a 340. One funny thing I want to add is about a old man( at least old to me at the time) came up to me at the track one day and was looking at my Volare which was only a year or two old at the time. He said why are you racing a new car like this? Why don`t you get a old car like mine (a 66 mustang) to use for racing. He said I wouldn`t tear that thing up racing it. Now looking back I guess they are both old cars now. LOL

Last edited:

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
I've had a thing for cop cars in general since I was a kid. I'm not a wannabe or anything, I just like the no-frills badassness of em. I've even owned a few decomissioned police cars, a 75 Coronet being the highlight. Every build I've ever done has combined a vintage bootlegger meets cop car meets NASCAR vibe... blame the movie White Lightening and Burt Reynold's 429 LTD for that... big motor, black steelies, love that stuff.
My Dad wheeled M-bodies as a copper in the 70s-80s and they have always held a place in my heart.
If I manage a deal on the 79 Lebaron coupe this weekend it'll get the same treatment... black steelies (probably 16x8" in back, I like the proportion, but finding tires is hard), poverty caps, subtle lowering, and eventually paint, single-stage black if I can get it straight enough. In the meantime I'll be looking for an 8.75 rear and 727tf so that the wicked-pissa of a stroker that I built (hey, it's my fantasy) doesn't break stuff on the first burnout.

Last edited:

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I've had many mopars as well as others over the years. I've always had a thing for the underdog, and Modoba fits the bill perfectly. "Mopar guys" don't respect it, and nobody else knows what it is! lol. And that's just fine. I remember the first time I took the car to the strip at a mopar show, the snob with the restored 69 440 charger said my car wouldn't get out of the 15's. It was sweet later that day when he had to admit that his wouldn't run as good as mine did....and I drove mine home while his went in the trailer. See, I thoroughly enjoy my car. It doesn't go out in the bad weather, but I've put 21,000 miles on it since I put it together.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Where to begin, well I always liked the boxy '80s cars, they just looked nicer and had more character then the ugly cars being built in the early 2000s (and still are) at some point I decided to try to find a '79-'85 Oldsmobile Tornado but could never find one, and my first car ended up being a '97 Honda Accord that never ran all that great, and a long story short I ended up getting an '87 Chrysler Fifth Avenue and I immediately fell in love, I only had that car for three months but it had a lasting impression on me, I'm on my 4th M-body (an all-red 1985 Plymouth Gran Fury) and I can't even think about owning anything else, I've been though a lot with this car these past 6 or 7 years and this car is priceless to me. I also find the Gran Fury the best looking of the M-bodies, I never liked that vinyl top and the turn signals above the headlights on the Fifth Avenue and I think the Fury's more silver grill and more blacked taillights look a lot better then the Diplomat's black grill and sliver taillight trim, that's just me though. I didn't come from a Mopar family or anything, but I've been into them since I sat behind the wheel and drove that first Fifth Avenue down the road for the first time

Back