2000 Chevy Silverado Drama

Projects & Restorations

1. Justwondering

Justwondering Well-Known Member

Its 10:12 pm and I'm 129 miles from home in a dark parking lot trying to get the door open to the Chevy Silverado.
    Its been a long day.
    I go out to the truck after the meeting ending and hit the key fob.
    Click -- cab light goes on and lock is closed.
    Click click - won't open.
    Click it locked... open ... locked.
    Tried using the key. Won't open it.
    Well crap.
    I had to walk around to the passenger side and unlock the door with the key fob -- right, can't use the key cause someone tried to jimmy the lock and the lock is buggered up and pushed into the door. But the key fob works on the passenger side.

So today... I need to pull the door panel and figure out why the driver side doesn't work and start looking for a replacement key lock for the passenger side.
    Sigh.

Other than that it was a wonderful day. Sunshine and goodness.

2. Justwondering

And then there is the steady drip from the gear box (according to the mechanic that checks my work).
    Gear box. That sounds important.
    I'll have to research to see if this is something I can replace in the driveway when the sun is shining.

I have it on good authority I'm getting two (2) - not 1 but TWO new pieces of cardboard for spring car work!!!!

3. Justwondering

I had two hours to figure out the door lock problem before it started getting dark and colder.
    Was about 60 today going to be 37 for a high on Sunday ... blah.

Afger I got the door panel off I used dry lubricant to spray everything.
    Voila' ... everything is fine.
    I cleaned dirt out of every crevice and dumped the dirt out of the door pocket.
    The tweeter for the sound system in the door had a broken post on each end. So now I know why it rattled some on that side.

Its sitting in the downstairs near the heater, out of the drafts, with a nice coat of jbweld.
    I'll try putting it back in next week after I get my chores done.

Now for an evening of gearbox research.

4. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

Gearbox? I assume that's the steering gearbox and not the British name for the transmission. If you have to change it, it's not THAT hard of a job in the grand scheme of things. Usually the worst part is getting the pitman arm off the old box. In the past, I've had to just tighten the pitman arm puller to the point of breakage and heat it with a torch before it'll pop. Of course, that's in Wisconsin, "America's Rustland" where even getting the lines unhooked means replacing them because the tubing nut and tube have become as one. In Texas, might not be a problem.:)

Justwondering likes this.
  5. Justwondering

I believe you are correct.
    The mechanic said to just replace it, but from what I've read online its usually the input seal gone bad rather than the gears going bad.

Either way, I woke up to a 55 degree day that within an hour has dropped to 37 and should bottom out around 19 with ice and rain for the next 18 hours.

Nothing gonna happen anytime soon other than I'll keep checking the power steering fluid to make sure its getting topped off faster than its leaking out.
    Or maybe I'll just keep sitting on the couch with my feet near the furnace and putz around on the computer. lol

6. Aspen500

In most cases when the input shaft seal leaks, there's also internal seals leaking which cause the shaft seal to leak. The internal seals leak fluid under pressure to the area the shaft seal is, well,,,,,,,,,sealing. What I mean is, replacing the input seal only, probably won't cure the leak. Sorry...........

I woke up to -12 and in the past hour it was all the way up to a balmy +6 but at least the sun is shining and there's no wind. Been sitting at the 'puter doing everyone's favorite past time,,,,,,,,,,taxes. Yippee, yahoo. It's SO much fun.:confused:

7. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

The steering gear is not a difficult job Per Se – but it is heavy.
    I changed the steering gear on my Dodge ¾ ton diesel pickup a few years back. I removed the Pittman arm after gear was off – so I could have more of a handle (so to speak).
    The only hard part was (again) – it is heavy and not easy to do when lying on your back, without help. It takes two hands (or three hands) to heft it into location and another hand to (quickly, because you are straining at this point) get the first bolt in. Once first bolt is in – its all downhill from there.
    It took me longer to get that first bolt in, than the rest of job combined, took.

Important note: be sure trucks steering is in full straight ahead position (and steering wheel is centered) before gear removal. Also make sure new gear is centered – which may require some twisting of the input shaft to do so, before connecting gear to steering shaft.
    BudW

8. Aspen500

They do tend to be like lifting a lead bar, aren't they?
    A handy tip when disconnecting the steering shaft on any air bag equipped vehicle, be sure to lock the steering wheel so it can't accidentally turn. Get the clock spring a turn off center on reassembly, make a tight turn and,,,,,,,,,,snap. Instant air bag light and inoperative steering wheel buttons (if any).

9. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking more like picking up a train car - but OK.