2003 Suburban A/C Glory

Justwondering

Reaction score
This was my second all time exciting, involved car repair.
No extra parts left over... which is a big win in my book!

I started at 2:45 pm and finished about 7:10 which is a record for me. A repair that didn't string out over 2 or 3 days.

Used only 1 piece of fine looking cardboard (leaves me 1 more new piece to use on the Chrysler).

I removed the air handler, upper fan shroud, fan, lower fan shroud, belt. Whew!
The fan bolt required some persuasion (larger crescent, hammer, and penetrating fluid).

There where 4 plastic retainers that held the upper fan shroud to the lower fan shroud. I spent 30 minutes on one of the fasteners. Stubborn. I didn't want to make another 50 mile round trip for a fastener so I just kept working with it until it finally released.

Removed the bolts and electric plug to the compressor. Took off the hi- and low- pressure lines. Ditto with the accumulator/drier. Removed the plug, and lines.

The new drier was 2 inches shorter than the old drier. Ah well, its a generic from oreilly.

The orifice tube was a complete mystery. Its really a filter but it gets a hi-rent name: orifice tube. Who knew. Got the old one out, but the new one was not going in without a little lube plenty of persuasion with the end of a wrench gently tapping it into place.

I did flush lines and condenser. Put everything back together with new gaskets and made sure I didn't cross thread anything this time. Won't know til next week if I have any problems. Rain for the next 4 days so I'm putting off the refrigerant/vacuum til next week.

Best part: My tools didn't walk and fall all over. It was a little easier to keep track of wrenches and sockets until about 30 minutes from the end. Then my 'i'm tired and ready to go in cause its getting dark' attitude kicked in. Also used baggies to keep things straight in case the dogs ran through my work area again. They didn't, but I was ready for them.

Worst part: I cannot tell the difference between any of these dang bolt heads. I swear I am the worst at guessing. I did notice the marks on them and was better at guessing metric when needed, but beyond that... its like a tossed salad.

Smart move: I spent the extra 15 minutes moving 4 vehicles around so I was working under 3 trees on the flatest area with the greatest breeze. Which means a lot since humidity must have been 400% today.

I also went through 4 pair of gloves. 2 nitrile and 2 latex. None of them lasted. Any recommendations?

And yes, I'm am eating a piece of fine dove chocolate and basking in the glory of not losing any sockets nor having any parts left over this time.

Master M

Reaction score
Hey nice work. I don't go through any gloves, cause I don't wear any !! Hope for no leaks and lots of cold air. Enjoy that chocolate.....

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I only use gloves on cold days, hot parts or really oily areas.
Your fingers work better without them.

Now I do used gloves when working with dye.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Well Houston we have a problem. Lol
I'd ask how you keep your nails from chipping but you probably don't wear them as long as I do.
I'd ask how you keep your hair out of your face but then you probably have a shorter cut.

I've tried putting it in a ponytail, in a bun, under a do-rag. Nothing is comfortable yet.

But it's all trivial since the compressor is in!

Aspen500

Reaction score
I always love reading your posts! :)
Have you seen some of the guys on this sight? A couple I've seen in pics or video probably have longer hair than you do. :eek:

Master M

Reaction score
Well Houston we have a problem. Lol
I'd ask how you keep your nails from chipping but you probably don't wear them as long as I do.
I'd ask how you keep your hair out of your face but then you probably have a shorter cut.

I've tried putting it in a ponytail, in a bun, under a do-rag. Nothing is comfortable yet.

But it's all trivial since the compressor is in!
I would think shaving that coconut of yours would be cooler in the summertime in North Texas !!! With that shaved head nobody will notice the chipped nails anyway..

Justwondering

Reaction score
i chuckled when I read that --coconut

I'm thinking I'll try a ballcap with a ponytail through the back next time. I certainly do envy those with shorter haircuts.

But I'd rather put up with the sweat/hair sticking so I can have that long hair blowin in the breeze when I'm out in the chrysler driving down the highway with the window down...

now that's a picture worth all this whining i'm doing about hair and nails...

Justwondering

Reaction score
course, now that I re-read that post, if you squint when I drive by it could be a description of my dog driving the car....

360 mafia

Reaction score
If you cut your hair,you wont break your nails .You'll be able to see where you're hands should not be.If you cant afford a hair cut,just get real close.to that hot exhaust header.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Well, you have a point.
It would be an cheaper alternative to paying the barber to chop my mop off.
However, I'm gonna give that ballcap a go first. I misjudge the distance and I'll have a tomato head instead of a coconut.

Justwondering

Reaction score
We have a winner!
Just took the suburban on a 45 mile round trip and the a/c worked fine... cold enough to hang meat and its 85 out there right now.

Two new issues:
Car in oncoming lane threw up a rock or metal object and busted the front windshield. I have until October to get it replaced. The star is about as big as a quarter and it immediately cracked about 10 inches in 2 directions. I literally ducked because I thought it was rifle shot.

Check engine light is coming on and it died at a stop sign on the way home. The codes are MAF sensor and Knock Sensor on Bank 2. I've cleaned the MAF sensor, cleaned the contacts and used dielectric grease. Cleared the codes and they both show back up. Going to go out and see if it threw a new code after this run with the stumble at the stop sign.

Kinda like a good news/bad news story. Saved all that money doing the work on the a/c but all that I saved now goes into a new windshield.

So, i used this as an excuse to buy new microfiber towels, car wash, and glass cleaner. I can work out my frustrations by cleaning the cars. Might have a busted windshield, but I'll still look good going down the road....

hemijoe

Reaction score
find a jober the windshield is 150 bucks and you can do it your self

Justwondering

Reaction score
Hemijoe -- I love your faith in my abilities... I'll need to practice my pushups to be able to hold that big sheet of glass.lol

Back