2016 Jeep Cherokee 400 mile road trip

Master M

Reaction score
So I sent one of the guys to rent a 4 door car for a 400 mile round trip work function, ( boring meeting ) ! I said don't bring a red car back as they get a closer look from the friendly officers. So back he comes with a 2016 red Jeep Cherokee 4 door. He was all excited he got the SUV for the price of a car. So I took the Jeep home that night. It felt strange driving it home and I couldn't figure out why until I pulled in my driveway. Looking out the windshield was like looking out the rear window of a car. The windshield is so angled and has such large A pillar moldings it creates blind spots. The visibility all around the Jeep is poor at best. The interior was nice but restrictive to be able to move. The large screen in the center front proved to be a real nice distraction for the driver and passengers. I now know why they need so many air bags in newer cars. All in all it rode OK and had excellent A/C and OK acceleration from whatever buzzy sounding engine it had.
I got home the next day and got in my 5th and thought what a major upgrade from the Jeep in much better visibility, much nicer upholstery, and a lot quieter on the road, and no distractive screens. JMHO.

Aspen500

Reaction score
It started like that long ago. My '96 Dakota has huge a-pillars and door window frames and they do make for big blind spots. You have to always take a second look to be sure there really is nobody coming before pulling out.
My dad's '12 Charger is even worse. It's got lots of options he never uses and could care less about but the one it doesn't have that he wishes it did is a backup camera.
Ever drive one of the new Camaro's? It's almost like they forgot you need to see out of the car. In my job as an auto tech, I drive all sorts of vehicles of all sorts of years. Some are fine for visibility, some are downright dangerous like the Chevy HHR. I don't include cargo vans because those have had terrible visibility since day one:eek:

Back