28X10.5 tire on 1979 Aspen

Aspen79

Reaction score
image.jpeg
has any one ran A 28X10.5 slick on 79 Aspen. What modifications did you do?

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
I ran a 30"X10.5 on a Mirada, I did move the rear axle (B Body 8.75) back, maybe 1.5". I used the forward hole in the axle perch and drilled a new hole in the shock plate, that mounts below the leaf springs... The clearance issues I had were the leading edge of the inner wheel well and the tire to leaf spring......

CM360

Reaction score
A 41/2 BS wheel easily fit a 29" tall 9 " slick.I believe a 10.5 will fit with some trimming.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I have 275/60/15 on Mirada wheels out back on my 79 Lebaron with no issues, unless I get into serious autocross, then the might be a problem.

I could go even wider, but with stock Mopar wheels, all out of offset.
Then a 8 inch rim would be better than a 7.

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Any idea what the max width you can go with a supercoupe wheel (15 x 8 with 4.5" offset) without rubbing. I was thinking 275/60R15 but would go wider if they will fit.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Dr Lebaron, Do you have a picture(s) of your 275's and their relation to the leaf springs?

Also, are you using a 7¼” or 8¼” differential, or something else?
If something else, what is it from?

I will be looking for tires/wheels very soon, and inquiring minds want to know (no extra spending $ on my end, for testing purposes)

Thank you,
BudW

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Sorry to be pedantic, but the measurements that people are calling offsets are actually back spacing. Back spacing is the diffeence from the inside edge of the rim (without the bead) and the mounting surface of the wheel. Offset is the difference between the same surface and the middle of the wheel width. On an 8" wide wheel, you can have a 4"back spacing, and the offset is 0. On the same wheel, a 4 1/2" backspacing is a +1/2" offset.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
. . . Back spacing is the difference from the inside edge of the rim (without the bead) and the mounting surface of the wheel. Offset is the difference between the same surface and the middle of the wheel width. On an 8" wide wheel, you can have a 4"back spacing, and the offset is 0. On the same wheel, a 4 1/2" backspacing is a +1/2" offset.
He is correct.

I knew what was being said above and wasn't going to correct them, but sense you brought it up, I'll join the bandwagon.

It is easy to misuse those terms

Back