318 magnum install

brotherGood

Reaction score
Dad picked this up in a roundabout way, to be used for something down the road. I don't remember what all is involved in putting a magnum engine in one of these. I say one of these, because that's what I've got experience with. What all is involved in the swap? Itll be a 4bbl, and most likely using the V belts system

brotherGood

Reaction score
20170107_141912_zpspdqpybqh.jpg

Supposedly, it was rebuilt 2k miles ago..has a 360 magnum cam in it. However, after hearing the quality of work the guy did on my dads truck who he got it from...Im not sure about anything with it. Dad said he heard it run and it sounded nice..but who knows for sure..lol

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Go to magnumswap.com. They cover all of the issues involved with such a swap. Off the top of my head, you will need a car type oil pan, a distributor, and maybe motor mounts. Staying with the serpentine belt drive is a good idea. There are other issues covered on magnumswaps.com. I must say I don't understand the swap to a Magnum 360 cam.

brotherGood

Reaction score
I didn't even know that site existed till last night..I guess they really do have anything on the internet..lol

I'm not sure what the cam swap does either, but I hear it's a strong engine, so there's no sense in touching it I suppose

kkritsilas

Reaction score
THe magnum series of engines were far stronger than the post 1973 LA enginers. The heads are a major improvement for power production, as is the higher compression. They also improved some of the less noticeable things, like roller lifters, serpentine belt drive, and seem to have tightened up tolerances just about everywhere.

From memory (I'm sure this isn't 100% right, but too lazy to verify), the 318 Magnum (5.2L) was rated at 245 HP stock, the 360 Magnum (5.9L) at 275 HP stock. So a real improvement over the LA 318 4BBL (165 HP in 1980/81), and the 360 4BBL (175 I think, in 1979). In any case, a great step forward.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Well, the car it'll most likely be going in doesn't have an engine...so it's definitely an improvement..lol

Back