318 Shudders

LyonAdmiral

Reaction score
It's the once in a blue moon issue for me that shows up very little on a Google search. Once in a while when park my 5th Avenue and turn off the ignition, it appears the engine doesn't shut off immediately, it runs and sounds very rough for a second or two. Has anyone seen this in their car? Normal, dangerous?

Thanks,
D

Master M

Reaction score
It's the once in a blue moon issue for me that shows up very little on a Google search. Once in a while when park my 5th Avenue and turn off the ignition, it appears the engine doesn't shut off immediately, it runs and sounds very rough for a second or two. Has anyone seen this in their car? Normal, dangerous?

Thanks,
D
It sounds like your car is dieseling.
Here is a description of it.
Dieseling or engine run-on is a condition that can occur in spark plug, gasoline powered internal combustion engines, whereby the engine keeps running for a short period after being turned off, due to fuel igniting without a spark.

Dieseling is so-named because it is similar in appearance to how diesel engines operate: by firing without a spark. The ignition source in a diesel is the heat generated by the compression of the air in the cylinder, rather than a spark as in gasoline engines. The dieseling phenomenon occurs not because the compression ratio is sufficient to cause auto-ignition of the fuel, but a hot spot inside the cylinder starts combustion. An automobile engine that is dieseling will typically sputter, then gradually stop.

Dieseling is not nearly as common as it once was, because it most commonly occurs in engines equipped with carburetors

Aspen500

Reaction score
Dieseling was the soundtrack of the 1970's and early 1980's.
So, technically it's sort of normal for cars of the era but excessive run on can end up damaging pistons and/or valves over time, from the extreme heat.

One way to prevent it is, shut the engine off while still in gear. The idle speed is lower in gear and the extra drag helps stop the engine rotation.

LyonAdmiral

Reaction score
Dieseling was the soundtrack of the 1970's and early 1980's.
So, technically it's sort of normal for cars of the era but excessive run on can end up damaging pistons and/or valves over time, from the extreme heat.

One way to prevent it is, shut the engine off while still in gear. The idle speed is lower in gear and the extra drag helps stop the engine rotation.

It happens so infrequently, like maybe once every 100 turn-off's. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fuel I put in. I try most times to put in that Shell V-Power and leave it filled up on that, but if money is tight, I put in whatever is cheapest.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Some fuel, especially if it's got ethanol in it, can contribute to the problem. The vapor pressure can be low and it basically is vaporizing (evaporating) and being drawn out of the carburetor. The higher the ambient (and engine) temp, the worse it will be. A too high an idle speed will also cause the problem. It can be problem on cars with "big" cams where the plates have to be opened farther for the car to idle. Dieseling is the reason they started putting idle solenoids on some vehicles in the '70's. That way, once the key was shut off, the solenoid deenergized and closed the throttle plates all the way. No air, no combustion.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the prices where you are but up here in tax you to death land the difference between V Power and garbage is about $24 on a full tank.

To me it's more than with the extra $24.
Never any dieseling. No worries about ethanol and my gas mileage is actually way better.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Fun Fact: I was trying to track down a part for my car, and ended up studying the wiring diagrams on an early 80's Dodge Omni. I stumbled across that car's "anti-dieseling" circuit. Get this: On those cars, there is a timer that activates the air conditioning clutch for 10 seconds after turning the key off. The extra drag on the engine from the compressor keeps the enging from running on. I thought that was a clever solution to the problem.

LyonAdmiral

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the prices where you are but up here in tax you to death land the difference between V Power and garbage is about $24 on a full tank.

To me it's more than with the extra $24.
Never any dieseling. No worries about ethanol and my gas mileage is actually way better.

$44.82 to fill up regular here in Plattsburgh.
$53.82 to fill up with some V-Power

kkritsilas

Reaction score
THe price difference between pure gasoline and ethanol blended gasoline is......0. The price at Co-Op or Esso gas stations (no ethanol) is the same as it is for gas stations that sell ethanol blend. Ethanol blend does reduce gas mileage, though. So, even for the daily driver, I use pure gasoline.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
THe price difference between pure gasoline and ethanol blended gasoline is......0. The price at Co-Op or Esso gas stations (no ethanol) is the same as it is for gas stations that sell ethanol blend. Ethanol blend does reduce gas mileage, though. So, even for the daily driver, I use pure gasoline.

You're lucky. Here in fiscally fleece you Ontario premium Shell which is our only ethanol free choice is roughly 20 cents per litre more than regular.

Justwondering

Reaction score
well is all about where you start from.
Ethanol is 2.18 a gallon here. There is one station that sells regular gasoline... at a full-service pump for a $1.20 a gallon more than the selfserve ethanol... So regular gas is $3.38 a gallon vs the $2.18 a gallon fillup.
Gas gives me a bump in gas mileage, but it would have to be about a 50% increase to justify the purchase based on gas mileage.
Its my vice, so I pay for better gas. Others buy nose candy. I like my choice better.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Dieseling,is also called run on.
The biggest two contributors to run-on, are hot-spots in the combustion chambers and too-far-open throttle blades.
The too-far-open blades are because of either A) design, or B)faulty components; and/or incorrect carb adjustments.
As to A), the design. When the idle timing is retarded,As these cars are,the idle speed goes down.The only way to keep the engine running is to increase the throttle opening, to get the rpm back.
As to B), When certain components fail,the idle speed goes down, often stalling. The typical cure is to crank up the speed screw.
Hot spots in the chambers are just that. The usual contributors are overheated sparkplugs or carbon.
Overheated plugs can be due to; lean running,wrong heatrange for current usage, or faulty cooling system.
Carbon. Well where does it come from? It comes from either fuel or oil. Tired engines create it as a matter of course.But the biggest contributor is the carb.And, in the carb,the offender is often the choke. If the choke fails to come off in a timely manner, carbon is the result.The choke failure can be due to; a plugged heat passage underneath the carb in the intake manifold, or the bi-metal element or its heater or the timer(if used). Occasionally linkages stick.
Fuel is rarely a contributor, although it is often blamed.

-The passage under the carb is often plugged by about 110,000 miles.This passage, is often the source for pulling EGR, so it's easy to test to see if it is plugged. The test will not prove it is severely restricted.With engine idling simply apply full vacuum to the EGR valve.The engine should stall.
-Carbon in the chambers can be removed chemically, with good results. The fastest method involves pouring it down the venturies at a fast idle. Other chemicals go into the fuel tank.
-Towing, high-speed running, and too-hot engine , can overheat the plugs. Pull a couple the next time it happens and check 'em.Cooler running plugs are available.
-FWIW; ethanol-blended fuels run cleaner. The more ethanol the cleaner the burn.I like these fuels.The 10% stuff is real easy to tune for, and has caused me no trouble.I have been running it in all my engines and equipments since it was first introduced here in year 2000.

Well that should keep you busy for awhile,lol.

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I can agree with pretty much everything said in this thread.

I use the cheap stuff (just as long as it is ethanol free), and hadn’t had a diesel problem in many a year.

I suspect one (or main reason) of the culprits is carbon deposits on the piston tops. The engines in my fleet run at WOT often (too often?) to keep those pesky carbon deposits from forming/sticking around (yea, that’s the story I’m sticking to).

BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
AJ/Form S: I don't even know where to start.. my brain is buzzing. After I print this and read through it again, I'll post back here with questions.

Justwondering

Reaction score
you are such a goofball ... :)p)

I have an image of the little girl in Poltergeist with her head going round and round ... lol

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Little girl (Linda Blair) with her head going around was in "The Exorcist". The little girl in Poltergeist had the famous line "They're Heee-eer".

Justwondering

Reaction score
so i guess you can tell I don't watch scary movies... and yes I walked out of Aliens at 20 minutes in when I figured out things would be popping out of people's chests... my brothers had told me is was just a simple sci fi movie (which I like)-- neglected to tell me it was a horror, sci fi movie (which I don't like). they still laugh about it to this day

Back