FOR SALE 340 4-sp Aspen in PNW

Status
Not open for further replies.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Thats a older stamp set but not a mopar stamp On the second row, should not be there (added) people and shops used to do dumb things when leaving a block at a shop or how a shop would id it.

I had a friend one time drop a block off for me, he told me the shop kid asked his last name, sure enough got the block back and my friends last name was stamped in the front. Goofy.

Was a decent halo/fold down seat car at one time.

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The add says 71
The numbers look funky to me the hash mark's also on the date if that's what it is.

Last edited:

XfbodyX

Reaction score
3382 is Oct 31 1971 on mopars 10,000 day calander. So probably destined to be in a 72.

The 021 has a unreadable # on the end which would tell what # motor that was built that day. Looks maybe to be a 3,8 or 9 maybe. So possibly the 213, 218, 219 motor finsihed that day.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Car has a green steering column/steering wheel (with Diplomat logo) - so I wonder if steering column is for a floor shifted manual transmission?

I would bet it runs great!
Runs so well, the top came off . . .
BudW

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Bud, maybe thats the all around dodge logo used in those years. Just like the same logo is used in the aspen grille center. Ive never liked it myslef I never noticed it till this time I looked at it all but the column, the seat belts, the rest of the fold down back seat parts and carpet and all seem to match except for the parts that were spray painted black including the edges of the rear seat.

Here is that wheel on a SE T top car. I think its the high end wheel so we dont see it often? I dont think ive seen one in like 30 years.

1976 dodge aspen se interior - Bing images

SE Wagon

1976 dodge aspen se station wagon, 33,900 original miles, 318 v8 - Bing images

Someone really messed that car up, looks like a unique seat pattern. The more I look the sicker I feel.

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t recall seeing many (if any) of that version of steering wheels in F-body’s. I did have one in my ’76 Cordoba (red, with the Cordoba coin on it) and many in M-body’s – but after working on so many cars, things start to “blend” together (I wasn't looking at (or for) those details back then).

That Logo was only used for Diplomats – I had thought, but sense there was no specific Logo (that I’m aware of) for F-body’s, then most likely Dodge just used the same steering cap for high end F’s and not worried about it (so few made). A high-end F, was unusual. Most were mid to low-end, except for the RR’s, RT’s and so forth.

I was thinking the green column/wheel just looked out of place in that car – but if someone had changed interior colors then that makes more sense.

Also, I would think it to be either odd or highly unlikely to have that steering wheel on an original 4-speed car (but not impossible).
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The more I look, the sicker I feel.
I can agree there.
I wish I had the money for that car, to put a lot more into how car should look (but retain the 340-4-4, hehe).

I do believe that car would be a blast to drive.
Right now, it is not, um, so much of a blast to look at.
BudW

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I sent a email about the car, if the tags looks good ive got alot of parts to put another goofy combo together. Its windy today so I might be ahead if I just went out and tossed money into the wind.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Come on guys, it's a rolling collection of junkyard parts. ........
Maybe it's the color, I've always thought it was butt ugly! My sister's in laws had a Valaint that color when I was a kid, brand new I told them it was ugly.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Give me a have hour it would be broke, 4 speed, 8.25, old 340, any or all fun test drive.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Give me a have hour it would be broke, 4 speed, 8.25, old 340, any or all fun test drive.
The CL ad says "with an eight and three-quarter inch Possi rear end".
I agree with Jonnyuma on "what is Possi" - for that sounds more something the old west would do in the old days to locate a criminal . . .

I would think a "eight and three-quarter inch" might be hard to break in an F-body - but not impossible.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I don’t recall seeing many (if any) of that version of steering wheels in F-body’s
Actually, this upgrade "three spoke" wheel was available for all years of the F's. It changed a little bit though. In '76 & '77, it was a solid wheel (no "wood" inlay), and the center medallion was somewhat larger pressed metal piece, approximately the size of a quarter. It had the Dodge crest for Aspens, and the Plymouth symbol for Volare. In '78 & '79, the wheel got an inlay of "wood" around the rim, and the center medallion got smaller, about the size of a nickel, and became more of a plastic button, but with the same crest for Aspen and symbol for the Volare. I believe in '80, the wheel was simplified, and didn't have either the crest on symbol for a center medallion which was just plain, but I think it still had the "wood" inlay. I am not nearly as familiar with the '80's, and never owned one. This wheel was only available with power steering. It was included with the early ('76/'77) Premiere and Special Edition interior packages, and later ('78/'79) was an option that could be had with or without interior packages. Again, I don't know about the '80's. Also, interestingly, in at least '78/'79 the "Tuff" wheel option could be had in any vehicle. Both wheels could be ordered whether manual or automatic transmission, but both required power steering. This "three spoke" wheel is the one that I have been looking for for so long now that OY has power steering and the SE plaid upgraded interior. See the pics of each in this older post of mine (by the way, I'm still looking for one!)
WANTED - '78 SE / Premier steering wheel in butterscotch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back