420cc small engine question

Justwondering

Reaction score
I am following the directions I downloaded to convert my non-running golf cart (gas yamaha) to a clone 420cc engine (more torque, power).

This is a horizontal, recoil engine.

I'm at the point (finally) of trying to start the cart and I have two issues:
1. I think the voltage regulator is toast and have to check it/order a new one
and
2. I think something is not right about the new engine.

Bought this brand new from home depot (lifan 420cc) in April before Dad died.
Dad died in May and I'm just now getting to this project inbetween rain events the past 2 months.

I have 1 quart of oil in it.
It has never been 'energized'. I'm just testing things before I try to start it.
I do have it in neutral.

Now that everything is installed, should I be able to rotate the spindle (clutch) by hand more than 360 degrees when it is in neutral and not turned on?

I can rotate it just a little shy of one full rotation, then its a hard stop.
Can go back the other direction almost a full rotation, this its a hard stop.

As if something is preventing it, inside the case.

Is this normal?

If it isn't normal, should I just undo everything and put it back in the box for a return trip to home depot?

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
You should be able to spin the engine freely. If it stops, the piston or connecting rod is hitting something. Probably best to pack it up and take it back to Home Depot, something for sure not right.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I have things sorted out for now.

I called Lifan and discussed the problems with their service department.
Awesome response.

They carefully walked me through diagnosis on the first engine.
We also went through the 2nd engine.

Thought is the engines were dropped or hit before they arrived.
The 2nd engine worked fine EXCEPT the recoil housing was crumpled and pinching the pull cord.
The 1st engine did not work fine with or without the cord, with or without the spark plug installed, with or without belts on.

End result....
Lifan enrolled both engines in warranty database.
They are sending a new recoil unit.
After another hour and two more calls, they recommended I swap the recoil from one engine to the other -- putting all bad things together.
We are assuming the 2nd engine works better since I could get through all our tests and the engine rotated as expected.
Tomorrow, I call Lifan and they will give me an RMA and swap out the first engine.

I was pleasantly surprised by the support for Lifan... spoke with a USA person just a few counties away in Dallas. He was patient and very helpful. Hope this all works out over the next few weeks.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Lifan --
Home Depot brand - generic Honda

And -- FYI -- Its pronounced LEE-Fan not LIE-Fan.
My apologies for the numerous times I've said it wrong ... lol

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's why I've not heard of it. The Home Depot here is a joke, been there 3 times since it opened 10 years ago and that was 3 times too many, lol. Ended up going the extra few blocks to Menard's and they always have what you need in stock and if you can't find something, they have actual employees to ask. Not sure if Home Depot has any employees other than someone roaming around at the check outs, at least not that I ever saw. Plus, the so called "self serve" check out deal sucks. OK, sorry for that. My Home Depot rant is over now:cool:

Justwondering

Reaction score
We don't have Menards here.
Its a shame... I've been in one a couple of times up in Michigan and they were super great.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Its been several months since I started this project..
Nearly 28 inches of rain.
Total ignorance of how golf cars work.
Just enough knowledge from here about my Chrysler Fifth Avenue projects to be optimistic enough that I could try this.

Today (Aug 23) I got the 15hp swap of the original Yamaha gas golf cart engine complete.
It not only was complete, but after two days of futzing with it I can now get it to go in forward or reverse.
Wa hoo!

Wish my dad was here so I could show it off to him.
Or my mom so I could take her for a ride.

But I wanted to say thanks for everyone helping these past few years so that I could build up to this success~:p

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Our Cow Girl Hero!

Your dad is watching from up above. He's proud of you too.

Back