FOR SALE 499 CI Big Block Stroker

Status
Not open for further replies.

volarebb

Reaction score
Contact seller
499 Cubic Inch Mopar / Chrysler / Dodge / Plymouth Big Block Stroker Engine / Long Block. (I was told it was a 498 when I bought the car. Doing the math on the piston card says it's a 499.) Very low miles / hours. Never on a race track. It is in a car I bought, but is too radical for me. I am putting a milder engine in my car. This engine is based on a 400. It has Diamond forged flat top pistons, Hughes forged connecting rods, Crower solid camshaft, Edelbrock heads, and roller rockers. I am selling only the long block. The picture is as it looks now in the car. It is still in the car and can be heard running. I will be keeping the intake and carb., valve covers, front engine accessories, distributor, air cleaner, headers, and oil pan for my new engine. $5000.00 Call or text 724-516-1605

DSCN3384.JPG

Last edited:

volarebb

Reaction score
I was told camshaft is a Crower Monarch 32001. They no longer make this camshaft, but the specs are on their website. The heads are Edelbrock 60929. They are 84cc. I have no info on the crankshaft. From the info I have the compression should be 11.5 or 12 to 1. I pulled a single plug cold and checked the cylinder pressure just to get an idea of were I was. That cylinder was 225 psi.

Duke5A

Reaction score
The cam specs for that Crower 32001:

LOBE SEPARATION 105º
Duration at .050" Intake: 254º
Exhaust: 254º
LOBE LIFT Intake: .334
Exhaust: .334

Yeah, no wonder you think that motor is a bit unruly. Rather than swap the entire thing you give any thought to taming what you have? I built a 512 and kept it mild. Idles at 850 RPM and is all done making power at 5500 RPM. Good vacuum too. You would have to get that compression down into the low tens and swap the cam out for something with a wider separation angle less duration @ .050".

Large displacement mild builds make for excellent street motors.

volarebb

Reaction score
I did consider that, but it would need pistons, cam, pushrods, etc. The engine I bought is just broken in and is much milder. If it doesn't sell I may de-tune it eventually.

volarebb

Reaction score
No dyno sheets. That number is just punching the info I have into online calculators. I am far from an expert on high performance big blocks. You may very well be right. I took the hp number out of the ad. I do not want to mislead anybody. Thanks

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Yeah I'd say it's south of 600hp but should make great torque.
Generally a 500" 440 is not to fussy on cam duration and lobe separation, the crank widens out the power band. I use the mopar .557 mec cam in a fairly mild 440 with much success. It works with a 3500 converter.

Ele115

Reaction score
That must be a handful for going to the corner store for milk. That's a lot of compression for something that doesn't say Cummins or Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back