5.9 magnum vs 360 swap,latest project.

Hemi-itis

Reaction score
I have an 88 Dip with no engine and was gifted a 5.9 magnum to put into the Dip. The engine has no waterpump or waterpump pulley,no motor mounts and ZERO brackets and hardware to reassemble. The A/C & P/S have their pullies.
So I need advise on what pullies to get. and start there.Will the pullies and brackets from a 340/360 fit a magnum?? Are the motor mounts different?

Last edited:

Sub03

Reaction score
All the accessories and brackets should fit on the magnum, at least it did on my 5.2. I used all the 318 stuff (alternator, timing cover, water pump and PS) on the Magnum to keep the V-belt style. All the bolt holes are there and match the old brackets.
The engine mounts are bolt on.

IMG_0299.jpg20210516_155729.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The one side 360 (or 340) engine mount is different from 318's. The other side is the same as 318's.
Also left side mounts are different from Right side mounts.
So any "car" spool-type 360 mounts will work.
That said, many new aftermarket mounts marked for 360 are actually 318 mounts (are mis-marked).

The question is if you want to use the front half (timing cover and forward) from an LA engine or front half from a Magnum - for either works fine (as a whole).
Note: the Magnum water pumps/cooling fan blade operates opposite direction than LA engine water pumps/fan blades rotate.

BudW

Back