5 MPH BUMPERS

CM360

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to remove the front and rear bumpers impact shocks and tighten up the spacing since most of the fillers are in poor shape? I'm looking looking to change the paint scheme on my '81 2 dr Diplomat. I'd like to loose the extension front and rear add a scoop to match the front hood contours and go from black with tan vinyl roof, interior and gold pinstripe to black with gunmetal or charcoal. The rear overhang in not as prominent as the front but I think they both have to go.

Justwondering

Reaction score
My only advice taking off the front end of my 87 fifth avenue (dead headliner and front left fender) and replacing it with the front end of a donar car from pick & pull....
Penetrating fluid..
Every bolt was rusted- beyond belief.
In fact I broke the head off one bolt from my car. I was ignorant and didn't know about things like penetrating fluid. This was my first car fix-it.

There are 4 bolts on the frame that hold the shock via a plate. One on each side, so 8 bolts (IIRC).

Then you have the bolts on the bumper.

I'd have to go look, but I'm thinking the bumper connects to the shock differently than the shock connects to the frame.

Square plate to frame with bolt hole in each corner, Rectancular connector with 2 bolts of smaller size bumper to frame.

I'd have to go back and look. I've slept since I did this 1 year ago. Sorry. Will check it in the morning for you.

Still have the old bumper. Its in good shape. The hit was in the light assembly/header panel.

CM360

Reaction score
I'm planning to remove the crash/shocks, lighten the complete assembly and rehang the bumpers w/o the plastic filler piece. May also cut and reweld the bumper for a tighter body fit if necessary

Back