6x9 In A 5x7 Hole

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Greetings to the FMJ World!

Well it was time to retire the factory 5x7 speakers in the rear deck for some 6x9's that I rescued from my late C body front drive New Yorker, before it went to car heaven.

Some folks have talked of cutting the metal in the package shelf to a 6x9 size opening, but I am not good with fancy cutting tools. That must be why I do not own any.

Some folks have made wooden 6x9 forms that they bolt to the bottom of the package shelf to accommodate the new speakers for a bottom mount. Wood forms require that cutting thing again. Bad idea for me.

So I needed a better solution. Yes I had to disassemble the entire package shelf, sail panels, and rear window surround to get the top loaded 5x7's out; but I knew I wanted to future proof my 6x9 install. So if I had a speaker failure in the future I could just drop a bad speaker in the trunk, and place a new one up in its place.

My other problem was that these new speakers had elevated tweeters. If I bolted them directly to the package shelf the tweeters would hit the fiber board over-layment.

Solution: The rubber fuel line spacer. I made a template of the speaker mount holes, and from inside the car drilled my new holes through the package shelf. Then I took a sheet metal screw, and placed it through the bottom hole on the speaker. Then I placed a section of fuel line on the screw, and attached the screw from the underside of the package shelf. The screw provides the space for the tweeter, and gives the speaker some vent room, since it does not have a complete 6x9 opening to sound through.

IMG_20160612_173500909.jpg

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Oh .. I had the same thing in my F body ... 6x9's going in, but only 1 smaller speaker already in .. and the hole cut n/s .. it had me stymied for a bit(brain fart) thankfully the new speaker covers covered the existing hole .. I got them both in, just not perfect, and then I covered all my mistakes, asked my D to knit some covers to put in between the speaker and cover to hide everything ..... lol ... works for me !

Justwondering

Reaction score
Now there's an idea. Darth-car, if the tiny hoses don't do it for you, I have some yarn and can crochet you some edging...
Now there's a fine picture, me, hearing aids, yarn, crochet hook = fine looking custom speakers.... we could go into business, make a fortune, retire to the tropics, sit on the beach, drinking fru-fru drinks and counting our money...

Justwondering

Reaction score
Darn... I guess that means I have to get a real job and not retire to the beach.
kkritsilas, did you just rain on my parade?

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Creative solution! But, I bet that you could use a dremel without much problem though. Just trace out the outline from the speaker and cut it out. Even if it isn't perfect, it wouldn't show anyway.

Back