7.25" gears wanted

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I follow a youtube channel called UTG, he is building a car with a 7.25" rear end he is after some 4.56 gears for the 7.25" for it, he said they were a factory option in the day, does anyone know of or have a set kicking around?

Thanks
Bruce

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
First of all, there is the "Chrysler" 7-1/4" and a "GM" 7-1/4" differentials for their small pickups (S-10) many years back. The differentials are similar - but just enough difference so parts don't interchange.

The GM 7-1/4" differential does have a 4.56 ratio option.

The only vehicles that Chrysler used the 7-1/4" differential in was 60-76 A-body, '72 B-body, '70 E-body, FMJ's and '87-90 Dodge Dakota pickups.
3.2 was the Lowest gear ratio for any of the cars. The Dakota's did have lower gear sets - mainly because of the taller tires. The Dakota 7-1/4" options were 3.2, 3.5, 3.9 and 4.1 - but most were with the 3.2 or 3.5's.
There are a few 4.1 gear sets for sale on eBay.
If I recall correctly, an aftermarket company offered a 7-1/4" 4.56 gear set briefly - which I giggled at (at the time) sense the 7-1/4" differentials were only used for the 4 cylinder trucks.

Dodge also had 7-1/4" front differentials - which was odd because it might have been the only front differential out there that doesn't have reverse cut gears.
Also odd was only the 4-cylinder Dakotas got the 7-1/4" differentials but the allowed them for 318 M-bodies. All of the V6 Dakota's got the 8-1/4".
BudW

Bruceynz

Reaction score
First of all, there is the "Chrysler" 7-1/4" and a "GM" 7-1/4" differentials for their small pickups (S-10) many years back. The differentials are similar - but just enough difference so parts don't interchange.

The GM 7-1/4" differential does have a 4.56 ratio option.

The only vehicles that Chrysler used the 7-1/4" differential in was 60-76 A-body, '72 B-body, '70 E-body, FMJ's and '87-90 Dodge Dakota pickups.
3.2 was the Lowest gear ratio for any of the cars. The Dakota's did have lower gear sets - mainly because of the taller tires. The Dakota 7-1/4" options were 3.2, 3.5, 3.9 and 4.1 - but most were with the 3.2 or 3.5's.
There are a few 4.1 gear sets for sale on eBay.
If I recall correctly, an aftermarket company offered a 7-1/4" 4.56 gear set briefly - which I giggled at (at the time) sense the 7-1/4" differentials were only used for the 4 cylinder trucks.

Dodge also had 7-1/4" front differentials - which was odd because it might have been the only front differential out there that doesn't have reverse cut gears.
Also odd was only the 4-cylinder Dakotas got the 7-1/4" differentials but the allowed them for 318 M-bodies. All of the V6 Dakota's got the 8-1/4".
BudW
Thanks for the info, check out this /6 and 7.25" rear end set up

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't look back into the early '60's for gear ratio's - so a 4.56 might have been possible (but even harder to find).

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I didn't look back into the early '60's for gear ratio's - so a 4.56 might have been possible (but even harder to find).
He has 4.11 in it now, feels it needs the 4.56, this is a /6 setup you can build at home, it goes pretty good for a slant! Impressed! UTG has been taking people on a step by step build of car! Hopefully someone on here may have or know where a 4.56 is kicking around!

Duke5A

Reaction score
I follow the guy's channel too. Even got one of his stickers on the back glass of my car. Kind of refreshing to see a gearhead whose channel revolves around old school parts and methods...and this is coming from someone who has fuel injection on their car.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
This is my take on injection, is it better yes and no, for drive ability and cold weather use I think way better, for all out performance carb better, for hot rodders like us and our car is a weekend summer car then carb is fine, so what I have to warm up for 5min before I give it full noise, otherwise it will cough and splutter but I always let my cars warm up, all the metals expand different rates so can't be a bad thing to let them come up slowly to temp. Carb is cheap and easy to get in the ball park, man I think if you buy the right carb for the engine size it can just bolt on and go out of the box, not dialed in 100% but will go ok.

Back