7.25 to 8.25 Swap

dm330

Reaction score
Please forgive me if this topic has been discussed to death, but I have an 8.24 rear end with 2.45 gears out of a late 70s Volare or Aspen coupe for my 88 Fifth Ave. I want to upgrade to 2.94 gears for better city performance, while keeping this an open diff, if possible. The issue I've run into at this point is finding an empty carrier case for this upgrade, so my question would be to those of you familiar with the 7.25 to 8.25 upgrade, can this upgrade be completed while keeping this diff open? I see universal empty carriers available and plenty of limited slip/posi, even a couple lockers available. I appreciate the advice and recommendations.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

picklesgarage

Reaction score
does this one need a new carrier to change the gears? my understanding is the ring gear just bolts on. are there different size carriers for the 8.25?

dm330

Reaction score
From what I've read online there's a carrier for 2.71 gears and up and another carrier for the the others, although I also read the 2.45s have their own carrier and no other gear ration will work. That said, by 2.71 and up, I'm assuming they're referring to the numerical value, rather than high or low ratio. Today I did find a carrier, but for 29 splines, rather than 27, and thinking maybe that's the route to go.

dm330

Reaction score
Yes, and I believe all other 8.25s from 1997 on. I haven't looked much into those because it may be more work than necessary to apply to my car. For now, my main concern is finding a carrier that will work with this unit and 2.94 gearing and work from there.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
On the 8-1/4" differential, there is a break on gear ratios. The 2.2 and 2.4 ratio gears use one carrier and 2.7 and lower (higher number) use a different carrier. The pinion gear is so large diameter, they have to have the ring gear attaching flange so far from the pinion gear center-line on the 2.2/2.4 ratio gear sets.

With that said, the '68-96 use one axle spline (27) and the '97 and newer use a different axle spline (29). The "open" carriers are the same so a person can use 27-spline spider gears in a 29-spline case if needed. On limited slip carriers - you are out of luck on spline count.
The 8-1/4" differential was used in Dakotas, a lot of Jeeps and the lightest of duty full size pickups/vans

Now with that said, I WILL NOT re-install an open carrier on a differential overhaul on any friends/family/or even somewhat friendly folk - for, in a huge amount of cases, there is absolutely no advantage to using an open carrier.

Off subject some, there is also a carrier break on the 7-1/4" differential, as well - which has been made sense the early '60's. Some of them used limited slip carriers - but I don't think any made there way into FMJ's. It is very hard to find a limited slip carrier for a 7-1/4" differential.
BudW

dm330

Reaction score
Thank you for that information Bud. That is very helpful.

Loy

Reaction score
I'm still needing an entire assembly (8.25 housing and all) to swap my 2.71 to a 2.94 (1989 5th Ave). I want to find one that is already a 2.94. I don't want to do anything but swap the housing so if someone has a unit like this available please let me know. Thanks.

dm330

Reaction score
On the 8-1/4" differential, there is a break on gear ratios. The 2.2 and 2.4 ratio gears use one carrier and 2.7 and lower (higher number) use a different carrier. The pinion gear is so large diameter, they have to have the ring gear attaching flange so far from the pinion gear center-line on the 2.2/2.4 ratio gear sets.

With that said, the '68-96 use one axle spline (27) and the '97 and newer use a different axle spline (29). The "open" carriers are the same so a person can use 27-spline spider gears in a 29-spline case if needed. On limited slip carriers - you are out of luck on spline count.
The 8-1/4" differential was used in Dakotas, a lot of Jeeps and the lightest of duty full size pickups/vans

Now with that said, I WILL NOT re-install an open carrier on a differential overhaul on any friends/family/or even somewhat friendly folk - for, in a huge amount of cases, there is absolutely no advantage to using an open carrier.

Off subject some, there is also a carrier break on the 7-1/4" differential, as well - which has been made sense the early '60's. Some of them used limited slip carriers - but I don't think any made there way into FMJ's. It is very hard to find a limited slip carrier for a 7-1/4" differential.
BudW
The limited slip was my preferred choice until I found nothing available, but I did come across your post in another thread for the Dana Spicer part number D/S75101X and sent out an email requesting whether or not this product is still on the market. I'll post an update as soon as I get a response. Now if this unit is still available and I can find axle shafts for this car, I should be set to place some orders.

Duke5A

Reaction score
This is a lot of leg work. These axles aren't easy to find anymore. You'd be money and time ahead finding a Ford 8.8 from a 90's Mustang. Get the limited slip, 3.2 gears and disc brakes all in one. Take that and your old 7.25 to an axle shop and tell them put leaf spring pads on it at the same place as on the 7.25. I can't remember if it would need to be shortened or not.

You'll have to cut your driveshaft down too, but that would need to he done with an 8.25 anyways.

dm330

Reaction score
Yes, I've found that out, but I also may have found axles shafts for this, so if those are still available I'm sure I'll be good to go. I've bookmarked everything I need to do this, just waiting on replies for availability before I spend any money, that way if they aren't available, I can look at other options. Some sites let you know if parts are unavailable and some let you know after you've ordered the part.

dm330

Reaction score
Well some good news, Dutchman Axles makes axle shafts for these cars in 2 different sizes for the 8 1/4.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Hum...
Now we can get custom 8-1/4" axles with 29 splines ... could use the newer limited slip carriers...
That opens a lot of new possibilities.

That would make installing a 9-1/4" a lot easier, as well (IF that was on anyone's wish list).

Thank you, @dm330 for that link.
BudW

dm330

Reaction score
I'm thinking of going the 29 spline route, as finding 27 spline limited slips, although not "discontinued" yet, have been out of stock for some time, one supplier said they're on national back order 2 years for the Spicer version. I think the 9.25 would make a sweet upgrade, especially if done with a transmission upgrade. I'm happy with the 9.25 in my 2012 Ram.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
If I was looking for another axle I'd be looking at alternates from a jeep or?? 9 1/4 is over kill and also adds more weight and takes more power to turn.

Duke5A

Reaction score
To find a 9.25 in 5x4.5 you have to go back to the early 80's. Dad is running one in his Diplomat coupe. Like Mike said though, it would be completely overkill for a mild cruiser. Another plus for a 90's 8.8, same bolt pattern.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The 8.8 is a very good axle assembly, I set one up for my Ford project, all in narrowed wit billet9" ends, axles, carbon fiber differential rebuild kit and crush sleeve eliminator for a grand including the purchase of the axle assm. I used an axle assembly from an Explorer because of the 31 spline axles.
I happen to live 90 miles from Quick performance in Ames Ia so it was pretty simple, I've had them do assembly's for customers cars and there work is impeccable.
One other thing if you use a 96 or later axle assembly they come with disk break's, 91 to 95 had large drums.
I would look on usedpart.com that's where I found mine. Gear ratios are 3.23,3.55,3.73 and 4.10.
Good luck....

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to push for the 9-1/4" differential, per se. For someone looking for more strength than 8-3/4 or Ford 8.8 inch - bit don't want the weight (or expense, or lack of gear ratio choices) of the Dana 60 - the 9-1/4" might be something to consider.

To use a 9-1/4 inch, a person would need to get the tube length shortened, spring perches relocated and axles shortened (or custom made) - with the axles being the biggest stumbling block. Now there is a better source for axles - that option is back on the table (for some).

Even 29-spline axles for (8-1/4 inch) that fits our cars is a huge improvement.
I already need to replace an axle on my wagon (mumbles something incoherent about ice and a curb) and have spent 3 years not finding one. This might be a good time to convert to 29-splines . . .

On a different note: The 8-1/4 inch axles on '76-79 F & M-bodies are a different length (1/2 inch shorter) than those used on '80-89 FMJ's - which is different from what the documentation from Dutchman Axles shows (attached). There were only two axle lengths used for 8-1/4" FMJ's ('76-79 or '80-89).
BudW

Attachments

• SR-CC-Mopar-Car.pdf
    99.1 KB · Views: 205

dm330

Reaction score
That was a concern I had, since the 8.25 I purchased was in a late 70s Aspen or Volare coupe. The guy I bought it from couldn't remember what vehicle it was in originally, so I'm wondering if the difference is big enough to hinder installation in any way. My car has been in the shop for a year and I'm expecting to have it back soon, as I want to enjoy the car for a while and have my 8-1/4 built outside the car before we go through with the swap.

Back