727 woes

Volare4life

Reaction score
So I finally got the 400BB in the volare running like a beast, but now I am having issues with the trans, reverse is really sluggish to the point of high rpms to move, and 3rd gear sounds like its free revving. I modified the valve body per the transgo TF-2 instructions for the street strip with shift command, I know that the valve body is good to go, since its the same one i had in my boosted slant and that thing was a beast, and shifted gears just fine, I am thinking that maybe the front band might need tightening up, since the transgo instructions say tighten till snug then back off 2 turns.....whats snug ? lol any advice or help is greatly appreciated, first and second shift no issues in auto and manual mode ( courtesy of my hurst V-matic 2) but no thrid just a high whine and like i already said reverse works but high rpms to make her move. also installed my own cable kickdown, used the buchillon for inspiration, and adjusted per there instructions,

Thanks,
-Mike

Aspen500

Reaction score
Those are classic symptoms of a fried front clutch. Usually the piston seal starts to fail and over time gets worse and the clutches slip. The front (or forward) clutch is applied in 3rd and reverse.
The reason you get some reverse but no 3rd gear is the line pressure is quite a bit higher in reverse than in 3rd. Stock it's about 55-90 (depending on throttle position) in forward gears but 230-260 psi in reverse.
The Bouchillon (or your equivalent) cable is great, got one in my car. Works flawlessly. Even if it was misadjusted it wouldn't cause NO 3rd gear and has no effect at all in reverse.
Front band is only applied in 2nd gear (auto 2nd, manual 2nd or "kick down" 2nd).
It is possible but highly unlikely those symptoms could be cause by a valve body problem.

compubert

Reaction score
Those are classic symptoms of a fried front clutch. Usually the piston seal starts to fail and over time gets worse and the clutches slip. The front (or forward) clutch is applied in 3rd and reverse.
The reason you get some reverse but no 3rd gear is the line pressure is quite a bit higher in reverse than in 3rd. Stock it's about 55-90 (depending on throttle position) in forward gears but 230-260 psi in reverse.
The Bouchillon (or your equivalent) cable is great, got one in my car. Works flawlessly. Even if it was misadjusted it wouldn't cause NO 3rd gear and has no effect at all in reverse.
Front band is only applied in 2nd gear (auto 2nd, manual 2nd or "kick down" 2nd).
It is possible but highly unlikely those symptoms could be cause by a valve body problem.
Good information sir, have a Chrysler automatic in my AMC pacer I am about to put back in service and I was looking to put a mild shift kit in . . I will inspect the clutch carefully.

Volare4life

Reaction score
well I adjusted the kickdown band took it out, had reverse, but no third at all, then once it got warm ( driving around the neighborhood) still no third and reverse started slipped and shuddering, so it looks like shes gonna be coming out.............not fun in a cramped Volare, torn down and rebuilt.... but first to test the front clutch pressure feed hole just to eliminate that, any recommendations for who to go through for parts to rebuild the trans ? I really wasn't looking to sink a ton into it, I have been planning to swap a T-56 in come tax return in January/February time frame, other wise its gonna be an automatic for a bit longer,

-Mike

Back