76-77 fuel sending units

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
In ’77, the F-bodies used 3 different fuel senders.

California only (part number 4041114)

Everyone but California:
Up to 4/1/1977 (part number 3879683)
After 4/1/1977 (part number 4051176)

Now with that said – I have no idea what is different between the three different senders.

My wagon was built on 11/11/1976 at 11:10 am, so it is officially over 40 years old, now. Also, it would need the middle part number (most likely the one in the eBay post).

BudW

Silver Bullet

Reaction score
The unit built after 4/1/1977 (part number 4051176), has a larger diameter mounting flange. The difference between the two early ones is the unit up to 4/1/1977 (part number 3879683) has one nipple. Where as the California only (part number 4041114) has two nipples. I have both early versions. The one with one nipple was originally in my car (from WI). The one with two nipples came from a vehicle I purchased in the bay area.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Well, I could make the obvious remark that I prefer 2 nipples but that could be taken as a sexist remark and totally offend everyone... so I won't say that.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The second nipple (California version) can be plugged without any problem (in a non-California vehicle).

I didn’t realize the size difference from early/late. Good stuff to know.

Does anyone know if an ‘80’s M fuel tank will fit into a ‘76-early ’77 car?

80mirada

Reaction score
It can be done, it is the same as any late 77-89 FMJ tank. I believe a bracelet above the tank would be needed to keep it stable

Silver Bullet

Reaction score
The drivers side frame rail would have to be swapped out or modified due to the early style hump. The tank straps are also different. I got my sending unit today. Looks really nice. I also noticed it was stamped "stainless".

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
In my lifetime, I have removed about 75 F-body fuel tanks (along with hundreds of other Mopars), as well as removed sending units, drained tanks of fuel, etc. – but I’ve never paid attention to the different size senders – or for that matter, I don’t recall the hump that everyone refers too.

I guess maybe because, unlike other cars I’ve worked on, parts availability wasn’t a problem thirty years ago.

I do remember trying to find a replacement fuel tank for my ’67 Plymouth Satellite in the mid ‘80’s and there was nada available – so I was looking into what else fit (ended having to find another used tank to install).

I guess I just hadn’t paid any attention . . .

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
The drivers side frame rail would have to be swapped out or modified due to the early style hump. The tank straps are also different.

Not the frame rail, those are the same.
Trunk floor pan is different and it is where the tank support rails and straps attach.
Tank straps and filler neck are specific to the 76-early 77.

Back