77 Aspen steering help please !!

77Aspyn360

Reaction score
I am looking for the Steering coupler for a 1977 Dodge Aspen/Volare. Apparently they were different for a manual vs power steering. I can find for manual steering but can't seem to find the kit for power steering.

Does anyone know the part number for the power steering coupler ? -- I would prefer to get the housing and the rebuild kit if possible to eliminate all the play in the coupler. If the info on the car is needed it is a 77 Aspen with a 360 2bbl - power steering.

Thanks

Aspen500

Reaction score

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
Nice thing about the F (and M's, J's, etc) is because of the rag joint you can rebuild the coupler on the bench. Makes it much easier to get that damn seal retainer on tight.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Not all F-bodies have the rag joint. My car doesn't have one. Shaft is solid (except the telescoping part of course) from wheel to box.
DSCF0001.JPG

I found the coupler parts. Seems to me the housing wasn't quite so pricey at the time though.
BPE POWER STEERING PLUNGE JOINT HOUSING - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

BPE Steering Plunge Joint Repair Kit - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

Last edited:

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
thats new to me!
never had one (or seen one) without the rag joint.
never had one with factory manual steering either.
was yours originally manual steering?

and that insane price for new housing is why I've saved every one from the F's (and M) I've parted.
even the BPE rebuild kit is expensive.

Aspen500

Reaction score
My car was built with power steering. When looking at the parts catalog, it shows only shafts with rag joints. One of a number of odd things on the car. Maybe because it was a late build (June 18, 1979)? Did the 1980 F's have a rag joint? The rear bumper "shocks" for a '79 don't fit (holes in a different spot) but one's for an '80 do..............
Not that important but now I'm curious.o_O

I'm pretty sure I got the parts from somewhere else. Don't think Bouchillon offered them at the time. Seems the kit was probably about the same price but the housing (IIRC) was something like $50. I just have no idea at all where I bought them. Could have been NAPA for all I know.

Last edited:

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
All of the 80's I've "owned" ;) had rag joints...3 slants and 3 V8's including an R/T.(I checked my evidence files)
Is the passenger side trunk floor to trunk extension/drop seam straight or does it have a jog to it?

Your car seems to be some sort of an... enigma:D

Aspen500

Reaction score
No idea about the seam, it's covered by insulation and can't see it. My memory is no help (lol).
This car always did seem to be different,,,,,,,,,,,just like it's owner :D
Kind of like, why did it have the E24 Calif. Emission 225 90hp slug yet, the car was special ordered, built in Hamtramck and sold in Rhinelander WI, which is about 80 miles north of here, according to the paperwork of the original owner (I'm the 2nd owner). Mysteries that will never be solved...............

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve seen one either, without the rag joint.
It could have been a transition car – but I still don’t think I’ve seen a column like that one, before.

Here are a couple of clips from my ’79 parts manual.
79 Steering A.JPG

79 Steering B.JPG

BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
My '79 catalog shows the same thing. Far as I know, it's the original column. The car was about 7 years old when I bought it with 72,000 miles. For that matter, no idea what other column would fit in the first place.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Did Police and Taxi have the rag joint? My parts catalog doesn't show anything. The Police/Taxi section is empty.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
I couldnt find anything either.

The only thing I can think of is that its an A body lower shaft.
I have an F body column in my Demon, so its similar enough...

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm going to go with that it's an A-body shaft that was put in at some point in the car's first 7 years of life. Why? Who knows?

I was looking on Ebay and it seems if you have manual steering there's couplers or coupler/rebuild kit combos for days. Power steering? Not so much.

I guess we missed the part where you (77aspyn360) asked for the p/n of the coupler and SOMEBODY hijacked your thread (sorry, it was unintentional).:oops:
It's 3837669

77Aspyn360

Reaction score
Not a problem -- it is interesting stuff -- and a work in progress for me. With all the info, I've been able to locate the parts I needed. Thanks !!

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
I am looking for the Steering coupler for a 1977 Dodge Aspen/Volare. Apparently they were different for a manual vs power steering. I can find for manual steering but can't seem to find the kit for power steering.

Does anyone know the part number for the power steering coupler ? -- I would prefer to get the housing and the rebuild kit if possible to eliminate all the play in the coupler. If the info on the car is needed it is a 77 Aspen with a 360 2bbl - power steering.

Thanks
I know this is late, but Dorman make a housing, 425-252 and guts, 425-253 that is listed for multiple dodge pick up and vans, may very likely be the same.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The pickup/van steering column coupler is a physically bigger part (by about 50% larger). Also, the splines that attach to steering gear is much larger.

The coupler guts might work – but according to their web site, the guts only fit pickup or vans – so I would guess they don’t fit our cars, either.
BudW

Back