77 F-Body Horn button Repair-How to write up

ca180

Reaction score
So I just bought this Volare a week ago and noticed the horn didn't work. Got to looking around and realized the the horn wire was unplugged at the horn and the relay was missing completely! This led me to believe at some point or another the horn got stuck on.. Well, after a little investigation I removed the horn pad to find that the switch is held away from the ground circuit by a piss poor designed foam pad that is bound to degrade with age... So I set forth to try and repair it. I'm not too sure if the original foam double sided adhesive is still available, but I assumed it wasn't so I figured I do something on my own. Here are the pictures of the repair... which turned out to be a success. I'm sure you are all smart enough to figure this out on your own, but I thought someone may benefit from it eventually.

Here you can see the horn switch removed from the wheel. This is the front.

IMAG0390.jpg

Here is the back and the degraded foam.

IMAG0391.jpg

Fortunately I found that if you get under the adhesive tape that it comes off pretty smooth.

IMAG0395.jpg

Here's the plain-old double sided tape I picked up from Harbor Freight for $2

IMAG0396.jpg

I cut off the appropriate length strips for the switch. The tape was too wide and too thin so I split it length wise and then stacked two pieces on top of each other.

IMAG0397.jpg

The most important part is that the high spots seen here on the switch are not as high as the foam. This prevents completion of the circuit.

IMAG0399.jpg

Removed the same tape from the wheel.

IMAG0402.jpg

And here is the completed installation of the switch on the horn. Works like a charm!

IMAG0403.jpg

Hope someone uses this someday!

Last edited:

L98TPI

Reaction score
Well just great... I remembered this post when the horn on the 88 5th quit working. So I come back here for inspiration, and the pics are gone! :(

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I can’t see the pictures from my work computer – but I can see them on my cell phone and home computer.
It depends on computer settings, I guess.

My workplace won’t let us watch anything video related on computer (which might be a good thing).
BudW

Back