WANTED 77 Volare rear leaf springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leizurtime

Reaction score
Contact seller
Anyone know where to pick up a set of fresh leaf springs for a 77 Volare wagon? Or if there is a way you can interchange from another model? I've been sleuthing on the net and have come up short. The ones on my wagon look so shot, I think they tried to use some helper springs to keep her bottom up.

slant6billy

Reaction score
You can use the A body super stock springs. Just remember that they are right side/ leftside biased. So you might have the car sitting a bit higher on one side. You can even it out, by adjusting the front end torsion bars. Summit did sell the superstockers. Gator just put superstocks on his 79 Volare RR coupe. Don't reuse your U bolts- buy new ones

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
’76-80 F-bodies, ’80-83 J-bodies and ’77-89 M-bodies (all FMJ bodies) will fit, with a difference that most are 4-leaf and some have 5-leafs. All station wagons have 5-leafs.

Now I hadn’t measured any of the springs myself – and heard the MP SS springs will fit, but you will need to use different front spring hangers (that allows front spring hole to be 4” more back than originals – OR you will need to have driveshaft shortened. They are also as stiff as all get out, I’m told.
chrysler-leaf-spring-dimensions-8.gif.jpg

If I was going to modify my car to make something else fit in existing location, I would recommend using the B (or E) body 440/Hemi springs. Mopar Performance Original Equipment Leaf Spring Set
Much better ride.
That said, I’d rather keep my existing spring dimensions by getting your existing springs re-arced or have new ones made up.

New U-bolts (Chrysler calls clips) are not mandatory, but highly recommended (might have to cut old ones off).

Last edited:

Leizurtime

Reaction score
These are some great replies guys. This helps me out allot. I plan on making the vehicle a work horse with a class ii towing capacity. I want to build it sort of like a truck. Some tough leaf springs would be good.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Mostly for in-town usage or mostly for highway usage?

The reason I ask is if primary in-town towing/moving van, you might want to check your differential gear ratio and (if needed) bump it to 3.21 or 3.55:1 ratio.

The standard gear ratio for your car is 2.71:1, with 2.94 and 3.21:1 optional.

My (stock) ‘77 Volare wagon (318 automatic) has a 3:21 ratio, and it is great for in-town usage (plus a blast to drive). I can be across an intersection before most cars can leave the stop light. That said, I don’t want to travel in the car due to gear ratio being a more in-town gear set.

2.71:1 is a bit steep for towing.

BudW

Side note: I’m in Oklahoma City, so shipping wouldn’t be great.
There is an ’80 Aspen wagon in a pull-a-part close to me, and I believe a lot of the trunk parts are in good condition except for carpet and plastic (which are sunbaked).

The '80 bumper fillers are different.
I’m getting the tailgate, though,

Last edited:

Leizurtime

Reaction score
Mostly in town use, and yes i was planning on going with like a 3.23:1 gear ratio. If it already has the 3.21 even better! But I'm unsure yet. It does have a 318. Almost a carbon copy of yours Budw

Gator

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment.that was also a 8 3/4 swap.with rear sway bar.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Yep.... the big difference with Gator's Garage and mine...... I'm a big slob and he is meticulous and organized

Leizurtime

Reaction score
BudW

Side note: I’m in Oklahoma City, so shipping wouldn’t be great.
There is an ’80 Aspen wagon in a pull-a-part close to me, and I believe a lot of the trunk parts are in good condition except for carpet and plastic (which are sunbaked).

The '80 bumper fillers are different.
I’m getting the tailgate, though,

Does it still have the spare tire hatch cover on the inside BudW? Mine is totally shot. I also need a rear hatch too :confused: The outside of it is fine, but inside near the top, the sheet metal rusted out. Probably could be fixed, but easier just to buy a whole one. Theres a 77 Wagon at a pic-a-part near me. I need to jam over there.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn’t able to open the tailgate (no key), but it appears the metal spare tire cover to be in good condition (but sight unseen, at this time). The next time I’m going, I will take a drill to drill hole in plastic inside cover, then open tailgate with screwdriver. Then, I can check condition of other items.

This car is nice condition sheet metal wise – except for floorpan which has a bit of rot. I already called dibbs on the tailgate (if someone else doesn’t unbolt it first).

Deconstructor Jim, has a tailgate (the last time I asked).

BudW

Leizurtime

Reaction score
Mine opens from the inside it has a little latch lever on top of the striker on the tailgate. Wish i could send pics, car is out in Rialto right now. Mines also missing that plastic interior piece for the tailgate.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t need the inside plastic tailgate trim panel – but will have to drill through it to get tailgate open. I already asked – no keys. I will get the trim with the tailgate and take pics for you.

The inside plastic inside quarter trim panels are sun baked and warped – but may still be better than what you have.
20160429_112004.jpg
20160429_112045.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back