79 Lebaron landau top replacement vinyl

TNmike

Reaction score
Does anyone make a custom fit replacement vinyl landau top for a 79 Lebaron? If more than one who has the best quality at a good price? What does a body shop charge to install?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'd say your best bet is to find a good auto upholstery shop.
What they would charge? Not sure.
I'd guess $500 and up....that's based on a quote I got from a private guy to do my Fifth.
He was saying close to a grand but a Fifth is a lot more complicated.

Last edited:

TNmike

Reaction score
Slowly learning more, which brings up a question. It appears the 79 Lebaron coupe has triangular back windows, and the Landau option makes the windows rectangular. So, there is an insert that takes up that space. What is it made of, and how is it attached? Please educate me, thanks.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Unless the beers are kicking in.....
The two door had the triangular window and the four door had the rectangular. Different sheetmetal in the rear/different glass.
I don't believe there's any filler panel like a Fifth rear window.

TNmike

Reaction score
Bump. Looking at the pictures of the car I am going to look at tomorrow, it appears it does have inserts as I can see what I think is the outline of them in the pictures, but I could be wrong. If anyone else can confirm one way or the other it will help me be better able to evaluate the C-pillars concerning rust or other issues. Thanks.

TNmike

Reaction score
Kinda small, but hopefully you can see what I think is the outline of the inserts.
right.jpg
left.jpg

right.jpg

left.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Okay now I see what you mean.
I thought you meant the rear windshield.
Those do look like inserts in the side.
I can't find anything in my Service manual that specifically points out a pad in there. If it's "puffed out" like a Fifth Ave roof there could be a fiberglass insert in there.....but I'm not totally sure.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Supplementary......
After reading your posts on another board and re reading one here I see that you're enquiring about this because you're going to look at the car....you don't own it yet. My guess is it's reshaped with fiberglass or as mentioned elsewhere most likely ABS....A puffy texture would differentiate the two.
How can you tell what condition the C pillars are in without removal?
I don't think you could without pulling the side panels or removing the vinyl.....neither of which the seller will probably be willing to let you do.

Only indications of rust I could see looking for would be the telltale blistering around the parameters.....hope this helps.

TNmike

Reaction score
I didn't get the car. But, the mystery was partially solved: it is metal under the vinyl in the area of interest, my magnet told me so.

Back