79 Volare snog advice

barbee6043

Reaction score
I am new to the F body worked but have owned many mopars since mid 80's, the newest model being a 76 feather duster a couple years back. this Volare I picked up (slant car), is totally original, ...all the vacuum hoses are there,,etc, looks like all the other snog parts too. w hich ones actually work?? ha....
I really dislike all that "extra" stuff, always loved the simplicity of basically 69 and older A and B bodies.
I realize I could take off most of the snog stuff and redo the vacuum lines a s needed, and toss those parts and pieces in a box for the :next" guy.... but........... I feel sorta guilty doing that... what to do?????

Cordoba1

Reaction score
If the car is running great, I vote "leave it alone." On my low millage Slant 6 Doba, all the emissions stuff is doing what it is supposed to: all the timers, all the solenoids, even the IAC works. On cold days, when you let off the gas; about 3 seconds later the pedal comes back another 1/8 or so hitting the bottom of my foot. I like the fact that all he doo-dads are doing thing -- and subsequently, the car runs as it did from the factory.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m on the same thought as Cordoba1. If it is working fine, leave it alone. You can do a lot of work and will not realize any power gains.

With that said, if I was performing a major overhaul, upgrading to a V-8 and so forth, I might be tempted not to reinstall several items.

If a part or function quit working, then I can see disabling or tossing parts.

You can spend 2-3 hours tossing parts, hoses and other things and might lose a total of 30 pounds (which I carry a lot more than that, extra, in my trunk), pickup 0 horsepower and 0 MPG.

Granted, you will have a cleaner underhood area.

If I was going to spend 2 or 3 hours doing something, I want something back in return (fixing broke parts don’t count).

Also, what if you had to move to California (or another Emissions state)?
BudW

barbee6043

Reaction score
I guess my mindset has been with the herds of 60's mopars, and a few early70's I have had over the lst few decaades. . a pcv is my idea of snog stuff!! ha

I admit to not being a real hotroder, and I don't imagine any of this stuff robs any power from that supersix!
as I read in the FSM of the duties of all those vacuum linked doodahs, I am amazed. for now they will stay. I imagine my first duty will be to determine if that vacuum amplifier is workin!!
my biggest job has been to get those locking lug nuts off ( no key for them and off brand too boot!???), and replace those hideous 20 inch rims and bandaide tires!!
I do like the shape of the Volare. a nice car.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
my biggest job has been to get those locking lug nuts off ( no key for them and off brand too boot!???), and replace those hideous 20 inch rims and bandaide tires!!
They make a tool to remove the locking lug nuts – with lost keys.

They make a few different versions of the tool - but basically what it is a rough cone shaped impact socket (cone on inside). The impact will keep rotating and will wear down the lug nut down enough to finally grab, then remove the nut. The locking nut is destroyed in the process. Sometimes the wheel is damaged in the process.

In some cases, the tool is a 1-time use tool.

I would recommend taking car to a tire shop and have them do it, using their tools and their impact wrench – but expect to pay a bit more for that service (which would be less than you buying tools you will never use again, and busted knuckles).

(Note: personally, I really really really dislike using impacts on putting wheels on the car – for it is real hard on lug nuts/studs and almost impossible to remove on the side of the road).

Another possibility is if you can get access to the brake rotor dust cap (on front wheels), and can get brake caliper off with wheel in place (should be possible on 20” wheels), is you can remove the brake rotor and wheel as an assembly. Brake rotors are fairly inexpensive.

The rear wheels might be removed in a similar fashion – but not as easy.

Before attempting to replace the wheels – I would recommend finding a replacement set first. An auto salvage is a good source (or here).
I would recommend 15 x 7” (or so) from a ‘80’s M body, for now – but at least you have several options available.
BudW

barbee6043

Reaction score
these 20 rims and their like new 355 x35 series stuff the PO put on, will probably bring $500-700 so I don't need them damaged. called a tire store yesterday said they can get them off, key or not. buddy back in Mo has a set of 15 x 7 oem steel rims, hope to be back there in couple weeks and bring back my 62 Lancer. I did get a set of torq thrust 15 x 7 from Summit other day for the front.
the locking nuts are not Gorilla brand which a key is readily available. locking lug nuts! ha.... I have always ( till now) lived way out n the rural areas of Missouri. the countryside of SE Tx is NOT rural! .. ha.... back in backwoods Mo. the sherriff will tell ya to simple shoot thieves if you like, and don't bother calling him, just find a lime sink. this cuts down somewhat on rural thievery.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes the wheel is damaged in the process.
Most of the time, the wheel comes off, great.
Sometimes, . . . not so much.

The wheels on the ’62 will interchange – just be aware the nuts are wrong-hand thread on the ’62, on the one side!
The ’62 wheels are different - but will interchange.

If traveling through OKC to or from, let me know. I’d like to visit ya.
BudW

barbee6043

Reaction score
If traveling through OKC to or from, let me know. I’d like to visit ya.
BudW

goin back to sw Mo, we go up the eastern side of Ok, but I will be in OKC in the fall for the ustrc roping.. see ya then! unless we are there bout hunting project cars, parts! ha

shadango

Reaction score
Granted, you will have a cleaner underhood area.

BudW

That would be MY main reason for doing it....

Working on my Cuda with a 78 318 that has no smog (car came to me that way) is so much more pleasant (to me) than working on the Volare with all the hose madness.

The Cuda I drive in the winter when its dry and not real salty and while I do have to baby it as it warms up for a few minutes, its very doable. I know its not as efficient as having all the doo dads and what not on there, but man opening the hood and seeing a simple engine bay --- well, to me there is nothing nicer.

But that said, we plan on leaving the stuff on the Volare for now at least since we have a visual emissions inspection for the 1980 year.....once that rolls off, we may remove that stuff. By then the boy will have learned the art of finessing a carb'd engine..(its my 17 year old sons car).LOL

shadango

Reaction score
I guess my mindset has been with the herds of 60's mopars, and a few early70's I have had over the lst few decaades. . a pcv is my idea of snog stuff!! ha

Same here! LOL

and replace those hideous 20 inch rims and bandaide tires!!
I do like the shape of the Volare. a nice car.

I hear ya on the odd choices people make.

Our Volare came to us with OVER wide rear tires....stuck out over an inch.....the chinese Weld knockoff rear wheels (10" wide) and real Weld wheels on the front end.

Luckily my son like the old school look....we swapped in a set of 15x8 steel cop rims we picked up at Carlisle and he painted gold to match the stripe on the car....he plans , for now, on running those a while.

Running small snow tires all around right now, gonna switch up for something meatier for spring/summer/fall.

barbee6043

Reaction score
ha... I got a 18 mm 12 point socket, got all the lockers ff but last 2 ... po had already t ried to get those off and boogers them. now for a key to fit th last two!!!! ha again!
I have a FSM and not hard to figure where what goes and does, lke just said, I lke simple and relatively clean engine compartment! we will see!

Back