8.25” gears/sure grip

Transmissions and Rear Ends

1. Camtron

Camtron Well-Known Member

With brotherGoods help, I’ll have a 8.25” rear end for my Fifth Ave in no time.
    It has the 2.94 carrier in it so, I should be good to go grab gears and limited slip out of a Jeep, Dakota or Durango, right? It’s just the smaller 2.45 housings that people end up running into issues with?
    Either way, I’m happy to get the 7.25” out of my car. The 8.25” will be more than enough for anything I’m planning on doing to the car.

2. brotherGood

brotherGood Well-Known Member

I believe after 96 the spline count changed, dont quote me though

3. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

The 8¼” axle spine count changed in ’96 – but that only affects the axle shafts and spider gears (or carrier).
    The ring and pinion gear set is not affected by axle spline count – unless you are also changing the carrier (the part the ring bolts to) as well.
    8.25 Carrier.jpg

As far as I’m aware, all Chrysler 8¼” ring and pinion gear sets made from ’68 to present (including pickups, vans and Jeeps) will interchange, as a matched set - with the exception of the high ratio gears.
    The 8¼” carriers (above picture) are where the gear ratio difference matters. If you currently have 2.93/2.94 gears, then yes, 3.55, 3.73, etc. will all fit.

If you have an 8¼” with 2.2 gears, to change to lower gears, you would also need to change the carrier as well.

When looking at jeep gears, it can be easy to get a Dana 35 and Dana 44 mixed up with the Chrysler 8¼” – for some came with all three differentials as an option.
    Dana 35 has a 7.6” ring gear and Dana 44 is 8.5”

To make it more confusing, the 8¼” cover is oval shaped
    8.25 63-12 RDS55047.jpg

As well as the D35
    D35 Gasket.jpg
    Both versions use 10 bolts.

The D44 is easier to tell apart
    D44 Gasket.jpg
    But then it gets confused with the Dana 60
    D60 Gasket.jpg

Did this help, any?
    BudW

Camtron likes this.
  4. Camtron

Camtron Well-Known Member

Absolutely helped, Bud. Thank you so much.

5. volare 77

volare 77 Well-Known Member

I have a 8 1/4 NOS sure grip for the 2.45 ratio if anyone is looking for one.