8 3/4 IN THAT 1976 FURY

CM360

Reaction score
Don't have the specs for the M but I did do the 66-67 8 3/4 rear swap in my F body.What year and body style 8 3/4 will fit in this '76 Fury?

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
The '76 rear axle is wider by (I think) 3 inches. I'v got a '71 8 3/4" in my car and it's actually too wide. To use 15X8 wheels I had to get a custom backspace where the extra width is to the inside. The spring perches had to be cut off and welded closer to the center of the axle also.
B-body '65-'67 is 54 1/4", '68-'70 is 54 15/16" and '71 and '74 is 57 7/8" (flange to flange)
Are you sure it's an 8 3/4"? The 8 3/4 was discontinued after the '74 model year. I had a '76 Charger Daytona and the '78 Cordoba and they both had 8 1/4" rears.

CM360

Reaction score
Looking for an 8 3/4 that will fit the '76 Fury w/o cutting it down.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Aahhhhhhhhhhhhh, SOMEBODY needs to read a little closer:oops:

From what I found (more like didn't find) is the axle width specs for Mopar rear axles made after 1974 are classified secrets. Seems like that anyways.

CM360

Reaction score
Yes a big secret! I've tried to find factory specs on the axle lengths, in order to compare to what has been declassified. No luck. How about a forum petition to get Comey and Mueller to find this information. I looked up the housing info on wikipedia and all it says is collusion/ russia.????????? Isn't collusion that waxy greasy stuff they put on metal parts to prevent rust?

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I dug up my Chassis book and guess what, nothing after 1974, go figure.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yes a big secret! I've tried to find factory specs on the axle lengths, in order to compare to what has been declassified. No luck. How about a forum petition to get Comey and Mueller to find this information. I looked up the housing info on wikipedia and all it says is collusion/ russia.????????? Isn't collusion that waxy greasy stuff they put on metal parts to prevent rust?

If those two corrupt, arrogant, lying, waste of human DNA pos's knew the information, I can guarantee you they would have leaked it already.

I think what were running into here is if you look at most things, Mopar didn't build cars between 1974 and 2005. At least that's the way it seems with companies and what I call the "Mopar snobs"...........................Same as they didn't build full size trucks before 1994 or Dakota's before 1997, but I'm not bitter.:confused:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A bit late to the game here, but this is what (I think) he is looking for.
76 B diff.PNG

The top part of chart includes what should be a direct bolt in (not considering propeller shaft length), the middle section is other differentials that might fit (possibly), with little work.
The bottom section is ones that will need work like perch replacement and/or wheels made to get it to fit into the wheelwell without rubbing - sorted by flange width.
BudW

The PDF file (below) should be the same as the picture (above).
I also have an Excel file - but unable to download it, here.

Attachments

• 76 B diff.pdf
    346.3 KB · Views: 373

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
I've got access to a derelict Ramcharger that I'll be stripping the 360/727 out of. I was considering just spending the dough to have the 9.25 rear cut down but the chart reminded me that the trucks use a 5x5.5" bp... back to confusing charts with numbers and stuff

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
What year Ramcharger?
Dodge increased the bolt pattern from 5x4.5” to 5x5.5” in early ‘80’s – so you can either find an older pickup (or car) 9¼” axle or get a custom axle(s) made. If your cutting one down, might be best bet to get aftermarket axles begin with.

The 9¼” axle has very little issues with it. Someone said it cheap and trouble free – but for FMJ’s, it takes a bit of $ to “make it fit”.

Something to consider, if your Ramcharger is a 2*4, the 727 should work fine for you. It if is a 4*4, you will need to find the correct tail housing and output shaft, so it will work correctly.

That said, Gear Venders makes an overdrive that will bolt onto the rear of a 727 once you un-bolt the transfer case from it – which might be something to think about (other than making the Gear Venders OD to fit with the stock floor pan).
BudW

Back