833 Overdrive shift linkage pics?

czgunner

Reaction score
Anybody have some pics of how these get installed?
Probably way off base for this specific forum, but my dad is installing a cast iron truck (long b body length tail shaft) into his 69 b body. We are using a new Hurst shifter and tried new aftermarket linkage from Year One today. We have had the bearing retainer turned down to fit the 440 bellhousing.
We have heard and read that it's really easy to get the linkage installed, but have been having an extremely hard time.
If anybody has any info or pictures of the overdrive linkage I would appreciate it.
I also have this cross posted on the b body forum.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The A833 non-overdrive and A833 with/overdrive uses the exact same shifter and linkage (between w/ or wo/OD - for all car or pickup usage - but not between different car lines).
The 3/4 shifter arm (the front most arm, on transmission) is turned the opposite direction (down instead of up, OR up instead of down - I can't remember) then link adjusted for the change.
If you have the correct shifter and linkage - it works every time it is tried. Now, if you have the correct linkage but wrong shifter pad on tail housing - then that would be a different story.
A833 Shifter Location.jpg

I swiped this picture from internet and it shows the three different possible shifter pad locations. There is nothing wrong with sticking a long tail A833 into a A or FMJ body (which all four car lines used short tail A833's) - but something needs to be worked out with shifter pad location. I don't think that is an issue for '69 B-body - for all B-bodies used the same location (the front most pad).

Note: the transmission mount location is the same for all of the vehicles that used A727/A833 or any version of the A904.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
69 FSM pg 21-16a.png

69 FSM pg 21-17d.png

Attachments

• 69 FSM pg 21-16.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 244
  • 69 FSM pg 21-17.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 244

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
You see that 20tooth overdrive gear on the mainshaft, in post #2?
When you put power into that gear, only about 3 teeth are carrying the load ............................. I broke three of those; 2 with a 360 and one with a 318. When they blow up, the pieces go everywhere; and so in one case, the whole trans was trashed. In another case I thought it was ok, but a few miles later, zingggg, I was walking again. I suppose, a wayward chip found it's way between the input drives.
After the third time I threw in the towel. It don't take much to rip the teeth off.

My best advice if you run that with any more than a teener, is to put some kind of interlock on that gear, so that you don't accidentally shift into it with too much throttle, cuz the 440 will have no problem thrashing it.

Back