86 Dippy Wiper Linkages

David Clark

Reaction score
Greeetings again all.

I've done the linkage bushings' on Dart (with many a curse words) and just discovered the the Wipers on the 86 Dippy aren't working right now (Motor is but Linkages are just laying under the plastic cowl panel) and looking it over, HOLY CRAP, how in the hell is one supposed to replace those bushings on this thing. The Dart was Fairly easy, Difficult to get to under the Dash but Easy) but this thing is under the metal the "cowl" panel that as far as I can tell is NOT removable to gain access. Do the Pivots have to come OUT to fix these linkage arms. I have the bushings already (ordered a few extra's from Rock Auto when I ordered the ones for the dart).

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Pull that plastic screen off of the cowl, and prepare to dive in. Hope you have small well articulated hands that bend in many different directions.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I wound up having to get a welding rod and bend it to be a 'third' hand to get my linkage hooked back up.

David Clark

Reaction score
How the heck did you manage that, Seriously WTF were the Engineers thinking when it came to those Wiper Arms, Did they Not think those PLASTIC Bushings would EVER need replaced? I am almost tempted to take a torch to the cowl to make more room. My hands aren't that small and to top it off, I have torn ligaments in each hand. UGH.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have found it to be easier to remove the parts (5 items: both arms, both pivots and crank arm), assemble on the bench using channel-lock plyers, and reinstall the assembly back into the car.

To me, this is way easier to do than trying to install new bushings back on the pivots, in car. Some friends of mine (with smaller arms) have told me it is easier for them to it with pivots left in car (to each, their own, I guess).

This is not a pleasant job – so at least one only has to do it every 20-30 years (more or less).

My wife’s 2002 Chrysler Town and Country minivan is using the same wiper bushings on it (if anyone cared to know).

Side note: I’d replace the wiper bushings any day, than to do most things on today’s cars.

BudW

David Clark

Reaction score
Yep, got them replaced today, took them off the car and also took the Wiper motor Pivot off to do that too as the hood kinda gets in a they way to do it on the car. Took about 45 minutes, whoever designed them things was an asshole LOL.

Justwondering

Reaction score
David --
Could you be more specific in how you feel about the designers?
I'm not sure, but I get the feeling you don't approve of the design.... lol I so totally agree.

David Clark

Reaction score
Sorry, I really hate these Design Engineers. Yes I understand the engineers designed some things for ease of assembly at the plant, but when it comes to "wearable" items, they really should have thought some of this stuff out for EASE of repair or practicality of repair versus ease or assembly. Some of them engineer's I just want to kick in the face repeatedly.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Our cars are a walk in the partk compared to new cars and trucks. We had a couple of new one ton GMC diesel pickups show up at work today. I looked at the engine compartment. You cannot see the engine, quite literally. There is so much "stuff" on top of the engine, and the engine is so deep inside the engine bay, you can't see it. Imagine trying to remove the valve covers on it, or replace a head gasket. There are some areas in our cars that are hard to get at, but at least you don't need to disassemble the entire car to get at something.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Absolutely. As much of a pain as it is doing wipers on our cars I don't even want to think about doing a repair like that on a newer one. You think the designers on ours were being assholes? Try anything on a newer one. I had to take half the front end off a buddy's Mazda 3 just to replace the bloody horn.

David Clark

Reaction score
Oh, Don't get me wrong, I completely know about the new ones too, That's WHY I am going back to the pre-90's stuff, while the engineer's were still assholes back then, the were Fledgling assholes compared to today's engineers LOL. I own a 2006 Chrysler Mini Van and 2008 Chevy Aveo, although not as bad as some of them out here like those Trucks Mentioned above, they are a big PITA too.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I just finished taking a trip to town and having that grin on your face driving the FA.
Husband says 'so glad you don't demand a brand new car to be happy'.
Wife says 'Lets see, car is almost 30 years old and runs great. I could have another 30 years with NO CAR PAYMENT and a great ride. I'm happy!'

Got a friend who bought a new truck last year. Needs an oil change. Costs over $125 at the dealer cause they have to break the truck nearly in two (like a tractor) to get to the filter. Say what? I do not want that.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I just finished taking a trip to town and having that grin on your face driving the FA.
Husband says 'so glad you don't demand a brand new car to be happy'.
Wife says 'Lets see, car is almost 30 years old and runs great. I could have another 30 years with NO CAR PAYMENT and a great ride. I'm happy!'

Got a friend who bought a new truck last year. Needs an oil change. Costs over $125 at the dealer cause they have to break the truck nearly in two (like a tractor) to get to the filter. Say what? I do not want that.

I've had a guy I used to work with bragging about how my "old clunker" was a money pit and how it was a gas guzzler and how his Mitsushitty was so fuel efficient. Of course he set himself up for total annihilation.

First I informed him that I paid $600 for my "old clunker" and sunk a grand whopping total of maybe $1500 into it including new tires so I own my car outright for $2100 out the door....all in.

Then I said let's compare shall we? Your steaming hunk of imported garbage was about $39,000 and is destined to become a true money pit after things start going on it in about 5 years or less. Which will happen thanks to the gazillion made in china computers built into it. Parts will be insane and you'll never be able to even do an oil change yourself let alone anything else.

As far a fuel efficiency......let's do some math........

My car: $2100
Your plasticized blob: $39,000
That leaves me $36,900 for gas.
I think I'm doing a little better don't you?

For some reason he didn't like my logic and never brought it up again. On top of all that. I'm driving one of the coolest cars ever made and he's driving a generic blob.

I'll keep my oldies thank you.

David Clark

Reaction score
Sounds like me with the 76 Dart Right now, Traded a Calf for it, at the time the Calf was worth about 800-900 bucks. Put a Rubber Fuel Line on it from the tank to the Steel Lines that they didn't replace when they replaced the Fuel tank, Put Brand New Tune Up parts in it a few other things like Oil Change, And Bingo, Running Car that is 40 yrs old now, With No payments on it and will probably last another 40 yrs if properly taken care of. The Dippy, Fixed a Radiator on it, Put Justwondering's half the Front header on it, and paid 700 bucks for it out of the Tax Refund Check. And an Oil Change on it. Not bad for another NO Payment Car that will last another 30 yrs or so.
Unfortunately we still owe about 4k on the Mini Van but we'll keep that and use that for Road Trips back to Omaha area to visit family with. The Chevy Aveo is Paid off and Clear now, Paid that one off early by adding 25 bucks to the payment every month. Now we are adding some to the Mini Van Payment to get it paid off early. I can't understand how those people can trade their cars in every year or every other year up here and keep a Car payment for forever. UGH.
and now with the Aspen (that will be My Car until the Road Runner is Done) and The Fifth Ave (Decided not to part her out and fix her up over time) The whole family now, Wife, Son (will be 17 this year) and Daughter (will be 6 this year) will each have a pre-90's Car that could last forever.

Back