87 Diplomat in the Hudson Valley

Camtron

Reaction score
Yea it’s Funny. When I bought my 5th Ave in 2019, all these cars were posting for $800-$3000, at least around me. Now they all get listed for $3000-$10,000; even the rusted clapped out junkers… Guess I have something to look forward to if I ever decided to sell mine.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
A really good almost perfect 4dr Diplomat is 3 maybe 4k at the most. If it's a cop car, sure, maybe a little more. Anything more than $1500 for a regular solid Diplomat is obscene. Because, to me, at a certain price point you're getting into better car territory and why get a Diplomat for 7k when you can get a really nice Town Car or a trashed A body for less.

Maybe next year when you take inflation into account I'd say 2k for a solid one and 5k for a really nice one. Because when you think about it $500 in 1985 is $1400 today and these 35+ year old M bodies aren't going up in actual value

Camtron

Reaction score
Yea, I scored mine for $1,700 and that was with a “clean” Midwest body and a carfax report showing it was still under 80k miles. It doesn’t help when F and J bodies can go for $10k and then immediately get flipped onto an auction site for $19k+ like a couple members have found out first hand.
I was just telling my wife, the US has like 5-11 years of fuel if import supplies were to be shut down, by say, a global scale war. There’s a chance the government Just says we can’t have fuel anymore as they so heavily push the EV clean resource BS onto the public.
Any case, I just enjoy it while I have it, lol.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
If it's one that looks nice but still needs work it'll be more then $1500 and you're right I'd have a hard time paying that too. But a better car is also a lot more these days. We're living in some crazy backwards world right now where people are getting offered more for trade ins of cars that are a couple years old then what they paid for them new and cars thst are 10 years old are going for twice what they were a few years ago.
The one thing that does bring M body value up is they aren't as many out there any more.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Yea, I scored mine for $1,700 and that was with a “clean” Midwest body and a carfax report showing it was still under 80k miles. It doesn’t help when F and J bodies can go for $10k and then immediately get flipped onto an auction site for $19k+ like a couple members have found out first hand.
I was just telling my wife, the US has like 5-11 years of fuel if import supplies were to be shut down, by say, a global scale war. There’s a chance the government Just says we can’t have fuel anymore as they so heavily push the EV clean resource BS onto the public.
Any case, I just enjoy it while I have it, lol.
And 10k for those is just as crazy too.
The fuel thing is what bugs me too. I doubt they'd cut it off but I wouldn't be surprised if they jack the price up so high that no one could afford to buy it.
They're all living I'm a dream over EVs. They're just as polluting or even more when you take everything that goes into making the batteries and other electrical components into account not to mention the power generation but of course they conveniently overlook all of that.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I paid $500 for mine, a rust free car but cooked paint and interior. By the time I sort out the interior and all the mechanical, I'll have more into it in parts and supplies than it's worth. I'm not even counting the cost of my time.

On the flip side, in a war, these cars would survive an EMP because of all the steel and limited complicated electronics.

Back