87 Fifth Avenue Tail light lens

Justwondering

Reaction score
This issue is the by-product of water in my trunk issue.

While the trunk stayed dry with a 2 inch rain, it gained over 1/4 inch of water with a 5 inch rain.
I've already sealed all the trunk seams and double checked the trunk weatherstripping. All dry. So the water has to be coming from the tail lights.

The inadequate directions for removing the lens are here:
IMG_4167.jpg

Actually, you do twist the sockets from the back of the housing.
Then, you take a flat blade screwdriver and insert it under the bottom of the Center Chrysler lens and pry gently. The center section comes out.
Now you can remove the 4 screws holding the brackets in place.
And follow along with the six housing attaching nuts.
IMG_4160.jpg

If you are very, very lucky.. you will also have the pleasure of removing three wasp nests.
AND
wait for it ....
Yes!
learning that the left side lens bracket attachment is busted.
Left side:
IMG_4165.jpg

Right side:
IMG_4166.jpg

Would one of you fine folks please chime in on what my next step would be to remove the lens on the right?

I've stuck my finger in the opening at the back that the socket was in and the entire lens assembly has water at the bottom.

I've gently pulled and it won't release.
I've gently tapped the back of the bolts on the inside and it won't release.
I've gently worked the putty knife along the edge and it won't release.

So, just before I break it, could someone tell me what might still be keeping it from releasing?
--- Post updated ---
Its a new day.

Got out my cardboard and looked under the car.
There are 9 rusty screws you need to remove to finish this job. And no, that isn't in the manual either.

Here's the scoop...
DO NOT USE A HAMMER! There are more fasteners to deal with.
There is a narrow metal flange that runs the width of the car.
This flange has 9 screws in it (or in my case, 8 screws).. three under each light and three under the center section.
The screws go up through the metal flange, through guide holes in the plastic bumper filler, and into receiving holes in the lens assembly.

My solution will be silicone around the lens assembly as a water barrier. The closed cell foam is wore out in places so this will have to be a solution to get me through the rainy days. I'll figure out something else this summer.

Bumper filler guide holes from above:
IMG_4169.jpg

Receiving holes in the lens assembly. The red lens is sitting towards the rear of the car. If you were to rotate the assembly 180 degrees towards the car it would fit in place. The bolts sticking out are what fits through the rear metal to keep the lens assembly in place.
IMG_4171.jpg

The left side surprise:
IMG_4173.jpg

The right side surprise:

IMG_4172.jpg

For a grand total of five wasp nests in the light assembly. Surely there is some award for this awesome accomplishment??

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Aren't they a protected species in TX?:) There probably is a fine if you disturb their natural habitat, and breding area.

Justwondering

Reaction score
If you ask my brothers, they will tell you that if I would slow down enough for the guys in white coats to put the straight-jacket back on me ...I would get plenty of bling in my new room at the ward.

As for the goats ... isn't that the state animal for Ohio?

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I was referring to the wasps being a protect species.:)

Justwondering

Reaction score
Ha ha.... well,
I'm pretty sure there are enough to share.
They will all have to find a new home.
This should reduce the number of red wasps that magically appear in the cabin every time I go to drive the car.
--- Post updated ---
Going to try this again tonight.
This morning I spent time drying out the trunk, grinding off the rust, and coating with matching silver paint.
Waited for everything to dry.
About 5 this evening, I finally got most of my chores done so I could finish up the fifth.

Put everything back together.
Added a bead of silicone completely across the top of the lights where the lighting assembly meets up with the back of the car.
Added another screw to the bottom since one was missing when I removed the lights.

Put everything back in and waiting for the rain to hit.

Fifth goes in to the mechanic in the morning or his opinion of everything that needs to be fixed and where he thinks the leak is for the a/c.

More news later this week.
--- Post updated ---
No water in the trunk today, although there was some wetness inside the passenger rear wheel well. Since I didn't specifically check that location on saturday, I'm not sure if it is new or left over from last week.

Anyway, after reinstalling and adding silicone all around, there was no water in the trunk pan.

I did see this when I opened the trunk:
IMG_4175.jpg

Its a little tough to see, but that is water pooled on the top of the taillight assembly. The silicone is sitting between it and the metal of the trunk.

So at the very least, I know there is less water getting by the taillight assembly.

Fifth went to the shop today. Will let you know what I find out later this week.

Master M

Reaction score
Your posts are always well done with lots of pictures, details and comments. NICE WORK !!! NICE CAR !!!

Justwondering

Reaction score
Master M,
You are mighty welcome. Its nice to find a place that doesn't mind walking back through the basics that others have already conquered.

I figure if I take a few minutes to put in some pictures and details, it will be easier for the next person after me as well as encourage them to save another car from the junkyard. It has nothing to do with my memory degrading as I get older ... not a thing.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Well, after the rain, hail, and wind yesterday I have a bit of water in the trunk.

It was dry on the underside of the trunk all the way around, so this is still coming from the light assembly in some manner.

I'm trying to dry it out before the rain hits again this afternoon while I work on the a/c.
Very perplexing.
I did ask my husband if he would shut me in the trunk sometime next week and use the water hose to douse it.
He just looked at me and said something under his breath about ' a troubled woman'...
too funny.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
One other thought is did you silicone or seal the holes where the chrome trim runs across the bottom of the vinyl roof? It could easily get in through there.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If you do get in the trunk, take a small screwdriver with you.

That way you are not dependent on someone else, to get out!

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Have him methodically start spraying the water from the bottom, and move toward the top. Don't forget to take your flashlight, so you can see inside that trunk.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
You might want to borrow a pumper from the local fire department.

Keep in mind that it took a massive deluge to get water in there this time from a huge storm so a garden hose might not show much result. That water is accumulative and might be just seeping along a hidden path. You might be in that trunk all day trying to figure out.

That's why I suggested bright light. In a pitch black trunk it'll show up right away.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I'll just pack a lunch and take a flashlight with me. lol

I did silicone the bottom of the belt molding, twice to be sure. I dried out everything today and there was less water in there than last time. But I had parked the car in a different place as well.

Here's my brother's idea. Construction paper.

I'll empty out the trunk, dry it, remove all the carpet. Then tape down construction paper all over the trunk. Even if it dries out before I get back to the trunk, it will leave water spots.

The saga continues.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Might want to put some tape, temporarily, over the two pop-rivet holes by the trunk lock cylinder.
Not sure if they will leak water into trunk - but is another possible site.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Emptied out the trunk this morning at 6 am.
Put a fine looking layer of construction papers all over the trunk in the well, along the edges, across the back and smaller pieces vertically down behind all the lights.

Rain started around 8:30 this morning as a drizzle and is picking up speed now.

The mystery should be ended in about 4 or 5 hours.

Back