A-500 trans into 88 Diplomat.

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
My 88 dippy is going to need some trans work soon. I have a couple A-500 core transmissions. Does anyone know if there is enough room to install the A-500 into the Dippy with out chopping the floors/tunnel, or trans crossmember.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
It has been a while since I paid attention to this, but the A500 has a much larger diameter tailshaft housing that requires a crossmember be cut and deepened, and I think the transmission tunnel needs to be cut and made bigger as well to accomodate the larger tailshaft housing for clearance. The tailshaft is longer to accomodate the overdrive gear.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Up to you, its your car. I think I have seen some videos on Youtube covering this. The surgery involved is not extensive, but must be done properly to ensure that the transmision tunnel is properly reinforced.

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
I think it would probably be better to build the A-518 I have, and put that in my 88 D-150. That truck has a 360 4bbl, and 727. Has a lot more room, and gets a lot worse mileage, then the Dippy.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I've done 500 and 518 installs in these cars. The tunnel is plenty big enough. The cross member is what needs to be clearanced in order for the tail housing on the transmission to clear. Depends on your ability, but it's not that bad. And a 500 will have no issue living behind an anemic 318.

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
I've done 500 and 518 installs in these cars. The tunnel is plenty big enough. The cross member is what needs to be clearanced in order for the tail housing on the transmission to clear. Depends on your ability, but it's not that bad. And a 500 will have no issue living behind an anemic 318.
Thank you. I don't mind modifying the cross member, just didn't want to cut the floors.

cal30_sniper

Reaction score
159AEF81-C44E-4284-B111-AD868F8ECCB8.jpeg

That’s what the clearanceing for an A518 at the factory driveline angle looks like. Some hammering also required on the tunnel forward of there.

I also added the outer set of holes for the crossmember and extended the crossmember itself. 4 bolts allows the crossmember to carry the load in place of the upper tunnel bracing that was cut out. The factory two bolts would have the upper brace in cantilever loading, which would be transferring the load directly to the floor pan spotwelds once the trans tunnel bracing was weakened.

slant six

Reaction score
Looks Easier than slamming a T5 into a 64 dart!

Cool Stuff guys!

Back