A-body floor tunnel in an FMJ?

NoCar340

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? I ordered an AMD 4-speed tunnel for '67-'76 A-bodies from Summit Racing after a few failed attempts to get my hands on an original F-body piece. Just for kicks, I dropped it in place atop the carpet and it actually looks like it's going to be a pretty easy fit. I'm just wondering if anyone knows any tricks or massaging that needs to be done to get it to fit correctly.

If not, stay tuned because it's going in there, come hell or high water! :icon_twisted:

Any suggestions for carpet would be greatly appreciated, too.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
never seen or heard of anyone using a a-body tunnel....so I would suggest cutting the hole, putting the trans in then the tunnel that way you can get the shifter hole in the correct spot

NoCar340

Reaction score
Yeah, I've done the conversion a few times. I can get it lined up with the transmission & shifter without a problem, but I'm talking about tips or tricks on making the floor contours work. I know I'm not going to get perfection but I'd at least like it to seal.

NoCar340

Reaction score
You forgot air saw, welder, pie cuts, etc. :icon_biggrin:

It really doesn't look to be that bad, but I'll know more once I have the seats and carpet out.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
how about just a big hole covered by a giant rubber boot!

NoCar340

Reaction score
Yes! I could use a Sorel, leg opening facing down. It would definitely give new meaning to the term "heel-and-toe shifting," and I could put a nitrous button over the little piggy that went "weee-weee-weee!" all the way home. :icon_biggrin:

jamf

Reaction score
I used an A body hump in my diplomat. Took a little massaging and a little trimming along the bottom and back edge but it wasn't too bad.
Worst for me was at the back where the floor curves up to the tunnel, the hump had a pretty good gap in that area. I split the difference by bending the floor up and the edge of the hump down.

Back