A/C Condenser To Trans Cooler?

greyghost

Reaction score
Howdy folks. I'm a newbie to the forum and from things that I've read I think I may have found the right place to bounce around ideas I have for my '79 LeBaron. The A/C in the car has been dead for a long time. It was dead before I bought the car from my brother 10 years ago. I removed the compressor and hoses from the engine bay and was considering using the condenser as a trans cooler. The car currently has a trans cooler that is about 8"x9" and wire tied to the front of the condenser. Any thoughts on this idea of mine?

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Welcome to the show. I think it would be too restrictive and you would lose too much pressure.

greyghost

Reaction score
Welcome to the show. I think it would be too restrictive and you would lose too much pressure.
I've been taking some measurements and here's what I got: the lines from the trans are 5/16" od. One of them goes directly to the radiator and I assume this one to be oil out from the trans. The other line coming from the radiator is going through 8"x8"x1.5" thick fins with coil lines 3/4" dia. and the line coming out from here is 5/16" heading back to the trans. The 3/4" coil passes through the cooling fins 4 times. I might also add that it is currently located right behind the 8" bumper so I don't know how effective it is as far as getting air.

The A/C condenser has 3/8" lines and both incoming and outgoing are teed into double 3/8" coil lines passing 18 times through 24"x17"x2" thick fins. Does anybody have any thoughts about this? Jasper, do you still think it's too restrictive? Have I provided enough info?

Last edited:

jasperjacko

Reaction score
yes I do because of the number of turns, and the overall length added to the system.

greyghost

Reaction score
yes I do because of the number of turns, and the overall length added to the system.

Jasper, what do you think about removing the condenser completely and putting longer hoses on the 8x8 moving it up 8" to get some airflow through the grill?

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Sounds fine to me. Anybody else have a thought? My car uses the in radiator cooler in addition to the police trans cooler.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
I would say do it...if no bad happens like late shifts or slipping I say go for it. use that useless AC condenser...my only advice would be NEVER EVER use it for AC EVER again...after trans fluid contaminates it its over man. but doesnt seem like you mind that.. so like I said DO IT!!!

greyghost

Reaction score
Thanks for the input fellas. I've been thinking more about it. The trans is working fine so i think I'm just gonna pull the condenser and relocate the 8"x8" cooler to improve air flow. I originally thought I could just move it straight up (it's currently located in the lower left corner in front of the condenser) but the hood latch bracket with the left horn mounted to it interferes. So I think I'm gonna make a bracket to fit both the right and left horns and move them to the left side and move the trans cooler to the right side in front of the radiator. I will continue to use both the radiator and the external cooler. It sounds like a lot but I don't think its that bad. I think the most difficult part is getting the condenser out. It looks like it has to come out from the bottom. The challenge is getting the car high enough to make that happen.

greyghost

Reaction score
Well I finished relocating the trans cooler and I decided while I was at it, to relocate the fuel filter which used to be right in front of the fuel pump under the alternator. I figure the fuel filter had never been changed since it still had crimp style hose clamps on it. I believe the trans filter and oil also had never been changed. Here are some pics from the start to the finished work. Notice the 1/8" thick glob of sludge in the trans pan and all of the "filings" stuck to the pan magnet! I raised the car.
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
After removing the a/c condenser
Horn relocation2.JPG
I relocated the right side horn to the left side.
001.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG
Trans pan funk! Here's shots of the finished work...
009.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
The bracket for supporting the cooler was made from parts I salvaged from a microwave oven I had to replace back in February. I had the hood latch bracketry out when I relocated the cooler hence the notches I added to clear the cooler pipes.

Horn relocation2.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

005.JPG

001.JPG

003.JPG

002.JPG

009.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

greyghost

Reaction score
Thanks Cap'n. While doing this work I was takin' my time and waiting for some $50 tubing benders from Plumbing Supply.com. The benders lasted just long enough to make about 4 or 5 bends before one of the rivets in the tool gave out and I had to drill, tap and add a bolt to make them functional again. They're still a piece of crap and I'm gonna get a hold of one of my old pipe fitting buddies from work to see where those guys got their benders from.
I'm also using the bay from that old microwave oven for a mini paint booth for my model cars. It didn't have a turntable in it but I'm adding one with a slow turning gearbox and motor. That's for a different forum!:icon_thumleft:

Back