A/C Seals at Drier ('87 5th Ave.)

mgbeda

Reaction score
Has anyone else had trouble getting the joint between the a/c lines and the drier/desicant jar to seal? I have a new drier, new lines and new seals (the original flat black metal gaskets) but I still have a "massive" leak at this junction. And it just doesn't look right. As I tighten the nut that holds this joint together I can see the seal side lifting away. I've tried refitting it several times, but I can't figure out what's wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-mB
'87 5th Ave.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
When I repaired the A/C on my Fifth Ave, maybe 10 years back. I bought a cheap drier . . . which was made in China. I had a similar problem and couldn't get one of the A/C hoses to tighten down on the drier. After looking at the drier, it was made poorly. Even after taking a file and a grinder to it, I could finally get the hose to attach (square) – but it still had a massive leak at the drier connector fitting/gasket. I gave up on it and went out and found another brand drier. It worked great.
Now mumbling something incoherent about parts made in China...

I still have a small leak between the evaporator core (also made in China) and expansion valve – which I need to look into, one of these days. I suspect it is the same thing, shotty workmanship and parts were not tested after making a prototype or going to production.

I have a feeling you are having the same problem with your drier.
BudW

Last edited:

SRTMirada

Reaction score
I had this issue before. Putting Hylomar gasket dressing on the gaskets did the trick.

mgbeda

Reaction score
Thanks Bud and SRT.

Fortunately I kept my old parts and have come to the conclusion that it is not the drier, but the new(ish) line itself that doesn't fit. The little nipple on the line that goes into the drier is just a little too long, about 1/8 inch. Fits (doesn't) the same way on new and old drier, but old line and new drier fit flush.

I think maybe the new line is supposed to have a different kind of seal on it, maybe even an O ring. You see I bought these lines off a junkyard 1986 5th avenue (really rare in SoCal and I drove 70 miles to get there). That car had a leak free AC system, looked all shiny like it had all been redone. It was weird though, because these lines are a bit different. The connections to the compressor have O rings instead of the metal gaskets. The connection to the condenser had the flat metal gasket. I don't remember what the connection to the drier was like; it could have had an O ring if it stuck to the junkyard drier and got left behind.

This weekend I'm going to rent a vacuum and just try stuff until the system holds vacuum. Probably have the AC done in time for Christmas.

-mB

mgbeda

Reaction score
And now the conclusion...

Turns out it wasn't the line or the drier; it was the NEW factory style gasket. Somehow it just didn't fit right, though it looked fine. I put back the original seal and, presto, the leak was gone. I filled the system 15 days ago, and checked the pressure today, and there's been no change. So if there is any leak, it's darn slow, so I don't really care. And yes, the AC works! What's more I ended up doing every last bit of the job myself. Didn't know I could do that, but every shop I went to found another thing I had to fix, and in the end if I was doing all that, I might as well do the next step, whatever that was, myself. So, Success! Thanks to the forum for your help.

-mB

Back