A?C SWITCHING /6 TO V8

CM360

Reaction score
'81 Diplomat with /6 and factory A/C. Have a 360 ready to bolt in. Is everything for the A/C is the same? V8 A/C brackets? Thanks

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Both A/C lines/hoses and everything that touches the engine (except for the compressor - less its clutch) is different, including the A/C clutch. That is if you are going back with factory parts.

The good news is all that is under dash, A/C condenser, expansion valve and drier are the same.

I’ve seen new aftermarket hoses on eBay. They look different but will work.

Compressor brackets and A/C clutch can be found fairly easily.

got job

Reaction score
Get a new underhood kit from BPE. Bouchillon Performance Engineering. Get hoses, compressor, condenser, drier, brackets, exp valve, hose block.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Get a new underhood kit from BPE. Bouchillon Performance Engineering. Get hoses, compressor, condenser, drier, brackets, exp valve, hose block.

I agree with that one. If you call them up and explain what you need to do, they will be able to tell you exactly what you need to get the job done. Good people there. With the right combination of parts along with an A/C shop that can do silver soldering and bubble crimping to build new hoses, you can attach to the stock evaporator, condenser and compressor (if it's not the old RV-2 type).

Using their parts (and advice) I hooked up the air on my big block Aspen and it looks like a stock(ish) system. High side lines are originals but the rest is all new.

DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0007.JPG

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
I love that look on the engine.
Do you rehab any of it or just replace everything with new?
My alternator looks so sad on the exterior, ditto on any metal housing or case, and crimped hose ends, etc.

Seems so overwhelming.

How do you decide where to start?

Back